Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Iron-cock

Established Members
  • Posts

    16,124
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    50

Posts posted by Iron-cock

  1. Quote

    Mike Jurecki of FOX Sports 910 Phoenix expects David Johnson to handle 60 percent of the Cardinals' running back touches this year.

    ...

    2015 No. 1 overall fantasy back Devonta Freeman logged 73 percent of Atlanta's running back touches. The 60 percent mark is a bit lower than first-round running back drafters should want to see, but could also rise as the season progresses once David separates himself from Chris and Ellington. As a three-down back in one of the NFL's best offenses

    ...David is tough to fade....

     

     

     

    Usually a 60% workload is about what a 2 down back gets.  The blurb writers should have to sign these things so we know who to taunt at the end of the season.  With some fantasy "experts" claiming David Johnson should be drafted as the #1 overall running back, he is an extremely easy fade.

     

     

     

  2. 9 minutes ago, The Harsh said:

     

    Just asked our guys on the IP.Board side. Unfortunately, source editing is barred below admin-level.

    On the bright side, "likes" are public again, so you guys can cook up all the Facebook drama you want now...

     

    That works, seems like everything is pretty smooth on the front end so there is no need for the source editing anymore.  Yey!

     

    Glad likes are public again.

  3. 18 minutes ago, The Harsh said:

     

    I don't believe so, but what exactly are you trying to do?

     

    Cross site scripting, SQL injection, etc.

     

    Just kidding.

     

    Typically when I would quote someone who wrote a text wall I'd open it up in source view to delete most of it.  The reason for that was one extra delete near the top would wipe out the entire quote (the quote tag in source view) and screw up the formatting.

     

    It looks like this has been fixed with the upgrade.  If I press delete near the top of a quote by accident it doesn't wipe out the whole thing, which is an improvement.

     

    The other time I'd use it is if the formatting got screwed up somehow after cutting and pasting from another website.  It looks like there is a handy "Remove formatting" feature built in now, which is nice.

     

  4. 1 hour ago, Fiveohnine said:

    If it ain't broke don't fix it. 

    But this actually goes beyond that and breaks a bunch of stuff while improving NOTHING. 

    i can't even get out of the mobile version anymore. 

     

    I did (and do) like to be able to get the desktop view on my phone.    

     

    It looks like they upgraded from having separate mobile/desktop views before to a responsive design using bootstrap on the front end, which is pretty much what everyone does nowadays.  

     

  5. If anyone is interested in the #2, #13 or #14 pick (or anything on my roster) I'm always open for business. I have an excess of QBs, but I'm open to trading anything.

    Looks like my team lost the #1 on a lineup infraction..ouch!

  6. Fair enough. What's your guys reasoning? Just curious.

    There is no way I'd take over a team in dynasty that wasn't optimal in a money league unless I was getting a discount.

    In a free league, sure! It's fun to rebuild.

  7. I'm pretty sure all points allowed are counted. Meaning pick sixes, fumble returns, punt returns, kick returns, safeties and blocked kicks that are returned. If not, then I apologize and agree that points allowed is a better indicator of a team's overall defense than I originally thought. I still like total yards allowex better though because the defense can still be put in a horrible field position scenario through no fault of their own.

    Good defenses give up more garbage time yards than they lose points to pick sixes/fumble returns for TDs (a fairly rare event).

    To bring it back to the 2006 colts, Manning threw two pick sixes that season which resulted in a .75 PPG increase if it's even counted. So no that doesn't make PPG inaccurate. You're talking about a 3% or less difference if its even counted.

    To contrast that with team defense, if a team gives up a meager 50 yards in garbage time every game, over the course of the season it's 800 yards or about a 17% increase.

    "Yards" isn't really a good stat to judge a defense by in real life, after all you don't win games by out "yarding" the other team, you win by outscoring the other team.

  8. mrblonde1984 wrote:
    Denver was the best defense when measured by yards allowed but just 4th in points allowed. I don't think there is anyone who would argue Denver had the 4th best defense last year...they were clearly the best defense.


    If you watched the whole season, and not just the playoffs you'd realize that Denver probably wasn't the best all season long.

    They dominated the playoffs. Why? They got their injured players back. That's not an indictment on ppg against, if anything it shows how accurate of a measure it is of season long performance vs yards.

    mrblonde1984 wrote:
    If you can't see the flaw in measuring a defense by just looking at points allowed, then you are in the minority.

    Pretending your position is in the majority is intellectually dishonest unless you can prove it. Even if you can prove it, being on the bandwagon doesn't mean your argument is valid or correct.

    While we're at it, pro-football-reference defaults to points against when you look for defensive statistics, for what it's worth:

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2000/opp.htm

    mrblonde1984 wrote:
    Adam Vinatieri scored all of their points against the Ravens.


    LOL. You really want to eliminate Vinatieri when discussing Brady vs Manning?

    Ok, Lets eliminate all Adam Vinatieri points from history. Brady now has 1 Superbowl.

    mrblonde1984 wrote:
    Yeah, Manning's 250 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT in the Super Bowl really carried the team.


    You are once again evaluating a players season for one game. Kind of like you evaluate players careers based on a small subset of games. I guess it's part of the overall bandwagon mentality I referred to earlier.

    mrblonde1984 wrote:
    But I forgot, playoffs and Super Bowls don't matter to Iron-Cock.


    They matter, the way other games matter. Perhaps a bit more due to the elevated level of competition, but that can vary from year to year.

    Like my fantasy players, I evaluate players based on a multitude of factors. I won't judge a player by only their teams success or failure simply because it's a team game.

    Most people realize this, somehow they become irrational when it comes to quarterbacks. I think its mostly due to the influence of the talk radio crowd.

    mrblonde1984 wrote:
    This probably explains why you can root for the Jets.


    I haven't bothered with anything insulting towards you or Pats fans in this thread. It's funny how hard you're working to derail the conversation from Manning vs Brady.

    • Like 1
    • Haha 1
  9. I sort of blew off your reply because it was silly, you seem to get a bit emotional about your hometown team.

    Please explain how points allowed is better than total yards allowed when measuring a defense, when there are so many factors

    Yards against is a valuable fantasy stat, since yards against is how most fantasy scoring happens. Points against, or average points against is what I'd use as a simple measure of NFL defenses.

    Total Yards has many factors, the most common one being that a good defense will play prevent near the end of games in order to win. Thus teams can rack up yards against a good defense, but not necessary points.

    I think you know all of this.

    Just to give you an example, the 2000 Ravens were second in "Team Defense" aka total yards given up that year. They were first in points against. Now were the Ravens the second best defense in 2000, or first? At some point we can just use the eye test too, I watched the 2000 Ravens and yes they were the best defense in the league.

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2000/opp.htm

    That can give you an idea of how misleading yards against can be.

    To bring it back to Brady vs Manning, Brady's early career success came mostly due to his coach and defense. Manning dragged one of the worst defensive units ever to a superbowl win.

    • Haha 1
  10. If championships and playoff success don't matter when comparing QBs of similar statistical success, then you could easily argue that Drew Brees is better than Tom Brady.

    I think that might be a fair argument when all is said and done.

    Now you're pretty much just trolling.

    If Brady was drafted by some other team, and Drew Brees was drafted by the Patriots....you think they would have won fewer Championships?

  11. How many games has Brady played where they just had to salt away the clock because it was a blowout?

    How many games has Brady played in, specifically in his statistical outlier season of 2007 where his team kept throwing the ball rather than running the clock out? What other QB gets to throw when blowing the other team out, because his coach wants to take a metaphorical dump on the NFL shield?

  12. If championships and playoff success don't matter when comparing QBs of similar statistical success, then you could easily argue that Drew Brees is better than Tom Brady.

    I think that might be a fair argument when all is said and done.

  13. Brady and Manning are very much alike when it comes to physical tools.

    That I can agree with. To say one has the clear advantage over the other is not fair, in my opinion.

    I think Peyton was a far better athlete physically coming out of college. Like the scouting report you posted mentioned (and the photos we've all seen), Brady didn't even look like a football player.

    As they evolved I think their physical tools, and more importantly mental tools became much more similar. Both (obviously) have NFL quality arms, neither are Favre or Flacco, but a QB doesn't need that to make it.

  14. As soon as Brady got a top WR in Moss, he broke records. That should tell you a lot about how Brady elevates the players around him.

    Moss was in the #1 offense back with the Vikings in 1998. I think it's fair to say Moss elevated Brady more than vice versa. Brady's TD's since his season with Moss have fallen back to -22% to 50% of their peak when he had Moss.

    Moss is underrated historically, due to the perception of him underachieving and his overall attitude.

  15. Here's how the Patriots have ranked in total defense since 2001, when Brady became the starter:
    2015: 9th
    2014: 13th
    2013: 26th
    2012: 25th
    2011: 31st
    2010: 25th
    2009: 11th
    2008: 10th
    2007: 4th
    2006: 6th
    2005: 26th
    2004: 9th
    2003: 7th
    2002: 23rd
    2001: 24th
    Average of 16.6

    Not sure where you're getting these numbers, I'm not going to effort all of them so here are the superbowl wins.

    2001: Allowed 272 points (17.0/g), 6th.

    2003: Allowed 238 points (14.9/g), 1st.

    2004: Allowed 260 points (16.2/g), 2nd.

    2014: Allowed 313 points (19.6/g), 8th.

    The focus of three of those Superbowl teams was their defense, Brady was not carrying that team back then.

    The fact is, Peyton had a lot more to do with the Colts 2006 Superbowl victory, winning it with the worst defense to ever win a Superbowl than Brady had to do with the Pats first three.

    2006: Allowed 360 points (22.5/g), 23rd.

    Brady didn't start carrying New England until 2007, and from then on they choked in the playoffs until they finally ran into someone dumb enough to give them a win (Pete Carroll).

×
×
  • Create New...