NBC Sports Edge Forums

why do leagues draft now?

ssmarsh

I'm always surprised by leagues that draft before the last week in March. Majoe league team rosters are far from final right now and the guy you draft may not even be in the majors come April. My auction league does a live draft on the first Saturday after the season starts so we know what the major league rosters are and who's really available.

How do leagues that draft now handle players not being in the bigs when the season starts?

Alot of people draft now hoping to get guys cheap who may deamnd a higher price later on if they do well in spring training. I know alot of people also frown upon drafting early because of injury risks but IMO the injury risks are not that great for you big name guys like Ortiz,Pujols,Howard,ect...becaues they are going to see very limited time anyhow.

I have 7 teams this year and all but 2 of them are drafted and ready to go and the other 2 will be drafted this Saturday. I like drafting early so I can set my lineups and make whatever trades I need to make and get it over with and not have to worry about running around like a chicken with my head cut off the weekend before the season starts trying to make trades, figure out which FA to grab and what not. I find the earlier I draft the less stress I have come opening day.

Leagues that draft this early usually favor the avid fantasy fans and experts, and that's who you usually see participate in these drafts. Like bigdog says, you can get players on the cheap before they start to shine. You take flyers on who will close in BOS, The average joe blow who enjoys baseball more than fantasy sports usually doesn't pay attention to the little things (huge to us), such as who will close in BOS. Those are the ones who participate a week before the season once everything is set (at least for a moment).

As far as the injury comment, that's one drawback. One that I remember clearly is Vick (I know, not baseball) and his injury a couple years back in the preseason (Madden-jinx '04). Injuries can happen at anytime though. It's a risk that can only be avoided by drafting for depth.

I'm always surprised by leagues that draft before the last week in March. Majoe league team rosters are far from final right now and the guy you draft may not even be in the majors come April. My auction league does a live draft on the first Saturday after the season starts so we know what the major league rosters are and who's really available.

How do leagues that draft now handle players not being in the bigs when the season starts?

The reasons I draft this early:

1) Practice for my $$$ leagues and my more competitive leagues

2) I love to draft teams, period.

3) I like to see who is being undervalued, overvalued

4) I have nothing else to do...lol

I did two drafts on Saturday morning, two leagues I'll stay competitive in but really don't care about.

I've got another next Sunday, that's with my friends in the league I really care about. It's good to do a run-through before that one.

And yes, impatience is a big deal.

I'll probably draft my 4th league closer to opening day.

I'll probably draft my 4th league closer to opening day.

Maybe that's the ticket...I'm only in one league. The buildup to draft day is also one of the best parts of my league. A lot of the guys in my league work in my office so we have a little countdown "clock" (which is really just a piece of paper with the # of days to D-Day on it) and the anticipation grows as the season draws nearer. Also, since we're a keeper league, we're all waiting for off-season trading to begin (March 1).

I guess it comes down to personal preference. I wouldn't want to waste my time prepping for and drafting a team in a league I didn't plan to be active in/care for. Besides, I don't think my wife would still be my wife if I devoted any more time to roto ball than I already do. B)

There are advantages and disadvantages to drafting early (and later). My league tries to do it the weekend of Opening Day (for this year, March 31 or APril 1) or the first weekend after the season starts.

However, due to other commitments that did not work out, so now we are drafting a week before that.

Realistically, if you do a little research, you can figure out who 90% of the players are who will breka camp with the major league club. Yeah .. there are some position battles still going on. Yeah ... lineup spots may not be firm yet .. but for the most part I think 90% of everything is set (barring injuries).

My personal preference is to wait a bit to allow some things to clarify, however, I am ready for my draft now. If I had to do it now, I have full confidence in the research and estimates I have. and now of course, I'm anxious and can't wait ...

My league (Yahoo, 5x5, mixed, deep, keeper, 10 teams) does the draft the Friday night before the season starts (March 30 this year). It is something we all look forward to as we were all students at one school, we still hold the draft on campus in one of the conference rooms. Now we have gone our seperate ways but the league keeps us together. I like the later draft for the same reasons that have been stated already: ability to do plenty of research, a full spring training to see about position challenges and injuries, and a chance to see diamonds in the rough (we draft 5 minor leaguers too). Can't wait for the season to begin. I really enjoy the forum. Lots of good stuff here. Good luck to all.

It's just another challenge. It brings more factors into play. Do you pick who you think will close in BOS or do you avoid it all together? Just another wrinkle to make our own lives difficult. Two years ago I had Bonds in my keeper and didn't draft enough depth to cover when his knee went out the week after the draft. My mistake knowing he was due but c'est la vie. That's what made it fun as I tried to make up for it later.

(not baseball)

P.S. Our football draft used to happen the week after the college draft. That was insane not knowing where any of the free agents would end up. Thankfully our commish has come to his senses and has moved it to early August.

I like to call the time period from the draft to now, the "Hot Stove". Like the Majors, its the exact same thing, people evaluate their teams, and make appropriate changes, I.E. trades, adds/drops, before season starts and when the stats start counting.

Like the Majors, its the exact same thing, people evaluate their teams, and make appropriate changes, I.E. trades, adds/drops, before season starts and when the stats start counting.

I guess that's another function of our league set-up. After we draft in early April, we only have 5 opportunites throughout the season to drop players and dive in to the FA pool (and it's only 2 players at a time). Having that kind of a set-up makes drafting players with known roles a must for us.

Archived