NBC Sports Edge Forums

Favorite player, past or present...

2ndCitySox

Preferably, it would be nice if you can name a player you actually watched. Nothing wrong with saying Ruth or Gerhig (unless, you actually saw them play live, haha)

In the past, my favorite was Kirk Gibson. The man hustled, was clutch, and had leadership. He embodied the true athletic spirit.

Currently, I think Shane Victorino is a player I admire. I like his fire and he seems like a real competitor.

I realize I was pretty concise with my reasoning, but I'm tired.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He may be a piece of crap as a human being, but this guy will always be my favorite player...

Doc

I still have his Starting Lineup figure hanging over my Beermeister in the basement, which my buddies have tried to vandalize at least dozen times but to no avail! B)

Currently, my favorite pitcher is Santana. I drafted him in my perpetual keeper league way back when and it's always fun to see him on tv. He's mostly throwing fastball-change (he doesn't throw the slider much) and yet guys guess wrong so much.

I used to love watching Dave Stewart pitch. The 1986-1990 stretch with Oakland was just fantastic. He was so intimidating on the mound. For a guy that was, in reality, only a league average pitcher in his career, he sure seemed amazing at the time.

I loved watching Tim Raines and Lance Johnson when they were on the White Sox together in the early 1990s, but I can't pick out one between them.

Ted Williams is the guy I wish I had seen play.

Pre-Injury is Ken Griffey Jr. Loved his all around game and his attitude.

Now, Nick Markakis is up on my list, David Wright is up there, Victorino is up there. I'd probably have to go with Lincecum thought right now. I could watch that kid pitch everyday.

Ricky Henderson. I remember growing up. I had all his cards. Topps, Donruss, and Fleer. His Topps rookie was my treasure.

Now, Hanley Ramirez, Curtis Granderson are probably 2 of my favorites.

I didn't watch much baseball outside of STL growing up, but my fav when I was little was Ozzie Smith. The dives, the flips, the fun he had on the field... When he retired, I got caught up in watching every game McGwire was playing, just to see how far he would hit the ball. That truly was some excitement from like '97 to '01.

Nowadays it's watching Albert Pujols. If any young kid asked me any advice to become a better ball player, I'd say watch Albert play. You could learn something from every single AB he takes. Plus he's a great person - with all the community work and stuff...

All time wise, I can never decide between Mark Grace and Ryno. Mark Grace is probably top 3 on my list of guys I'd love to have a beer with. Ryno is probably what I'd tell someone to model themselves as on the field. Santo is close, but he's pretty distant.

As for now, I guess it'd be Aramis off the Cubs. Outside of him, I liked CC and Prince together in Milwaukee. They played the game great and the way it should be, while also having fun which many others don't. Now that CC is gone and in NY, I doubt we'll see much of that. I think you get fined if you smile or show any sign of life and fun in the Yanks dugout.

Frank Thomas.

I loved the guy as a player and was arguably the best hitter during his prime (Griffey is right up there if not equal though).

I wasn't a huge fan of his personality, but as a player, he was amazing to watch.

Back then - Roberto Clemente and Tom Seaver. Two of the classiest guys around, I had these oversized thick cardboard player cards for each one (Mom sold them in a box of other stuff for $1).

Now - Pujols, Wright - both with a real work ethic and clean noses, a joy to watch them play.

Hamilton - just a great story, loved the HR contest last year at the AS game ...

Don't laugh, but as two players from my favorite team that were fun to watch and who got me into baseball in the early 90's, Mo Vaughn, and later on, Troy O'Leary. Mike Greenwell is a close 3rd. I watch Greenwell drive in 9 RBI's one game. He was pretty good! lol

Willie Mays, caught him towards the end of his career, what a joy to watch. Roberto Clemente, incredible talent in every phase. Pete Rose, I loved the way he played the game. Will Clark, what a sweet swing, great player. Today? Jake Peavy, when he is on he's fun to watch. David Wright, Hanley Ramirez.

I'm sure i will get some crap for this but

back in the day

It was Sammy Sosa and Mark Grace

Coming home from grade school and my dad would have WGN and just loved watching the cubs on TV

Now?

Geovany Soto maybe? I really dont have a favorite player...

All time wise, I can never decide between Mark Grace and Ryno. Mark Grace is probably top 3 on my list of guys I'd love to have a beer with. Ryno is probably what I'd tell someone to model themselves as on the field. Santo is close, but he's pretty distant.

As for now, I guess it'd be Aramis off the Cubs. Outside of him, I liked CC and Prince together in Milwaukee. They played the game great and the way it should be, while also having fun which many others don't. Now that CC is gone and in NY, I doubt we'll see much of that. I think you get fined if you smile or show any sign of life and fun in the Yanks dugout.

HUGE fan of Gracie. He was and still is one of the best characters in the game. The "slumpbuster" comments will live on forever. I still love listening to him as the color-man for the D'Backs. My dad and I actually ran into him outside Wrigley during his playing days...he was cool enough to sit down have a 5min or so conversation. Great guy.

All-time, though....Id have a to say Trot Nixon is my favorite. Definition of a gamer. Its kind of sad how quickly he fizzled after all the injuries, but the dude could play in his prime. I was at the Jake a couple years ago and he was playing catch during pre-game. The Nixon BoSox jersey I was holding up caught his eye, and he stopped mid-throw, set his glove down, ran right over and signed it (and signed #7 instead of his Cleveland number), and ran right back to where he was. This was also when he wasnt getting sh-t for appreciation when he was an Indian and Im sure seeing a loyal Sox fan was comforting.

Currently, its gotta be Hamilton and Ubaldo (big surprise?). I remember calling up one of my buddies all excited after I heard about the reinstatement. I just knew that he still had enough talent to be great, despite the toll of the addiction. I never thought it would be this fast though. The dude played like 6 games in Low A ball in 3 years and then exploded at the Big League level. Who does that?

back in the day

Coming home from grade school and my dad would have WGN and just loved watching the cubs on TV

Now?

I'll be honest, I love Sosa back in the day when he was a Cub.

I'm with you though, this Cubs team is extremely unlikable. Maybe Bradley can finally bring some much needed personality. Everyone is just so damn dull.

back in the day

Now?

Soto is on the table in SSD.

My past was Big Mo, I loved Mo Vaughn not to mention I have chilled with him at the Foxy Lady up here a few times very cool guy.

Presently it would have to be Pedroia. I remember reading what Keith Law said about him and it made me love him more... Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power.

HUGE fan of Gracie. He was and still is one of the best characters in the game. The "slumpbuster" comments will live on forever. I still love listening to him as the color-man for the D'Backs. My dad and I actually ran into him outside Wrigley during his playing days...he was cool enough to sit down have a 5min or so conversation. Great guy.

All-time, though....Id have a to say Trot Nixon is my favorite. Definition of a gamer. Its kind of sad how quickly he fizzled after all the injuries, but the dude could play in his prime. I was at the Jake a couple years ago and he was playing catch during pre-game. The Nixon BoSox jersey I was holding up caught his eye, and he stopped mid-throw, set his glove down, ran right over and signed it (and signed #7 instead of his Cleveland number), and ran right back to where he was. This was also when he wasnt getting sh-t for appreciation when he was an Indian and Im sure seeing a loyal Sox fan was comforting.

Currently, its gotta be Hamilton and Ubaldo (big surprise?). I remember calling up one of my buddies all excited after I heard about the reinstatement. I just knew that he still had enough talent to be great, despite the toll of the addiction. I never thought it would be this fast though. The dude played like 6 games in Low A ball in 3 years and then exploded at the Big League level. Who does that?

Yeah, I think everyone who has ran into him has had a small conversation with him. And yes, the "slumpbuster" will live on FOREVER hahaha. Him and Sutton are a good pair for the DBacks though. Like I've said before, some of the most enjoyable games to watch are the ones he calls.

I actually have a buddy that is also a huge Trot fan. He caught, or was stabbed would probably be a better way to put it, by a broken bat of his. Trot actually had some go check on him to make sure he was alright in the middle of the game and gave him and his brother an autographed ball.

Archived