NBC Sports Edge Forums

2009 Oscar Nominees

HighLanderZ

http://www.oscars.org/awards/81academyawards/nominees.html

Performance by an actor in a leading role

• Richard Jenkins in “The Visitor” (Overture Films)
  • Frank Langella in “Frost/Nixon” (Universal)
  • Sean Penn in “Milk” (Focus Features)
  • Brad Pitt in “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.)
  • Mickey Rourke in “The Wrestler” (Fox Searchlight)

Performance by an actor in a supporting role

• Josh Brolin in “Milk” (Focus Features)
  • Robert Downey Jr. in “Tropic Thunder” (DreamWorks, Distributed by DreamWorks/Paramount)
  • Philip Seymour Hoffman in “Doubt” (Miramax)
  • Heath Ledger in “The Dark Knight” (Warner Bros.)
  • Michael Shannon in “Revolutionary Road” (DreamWorks, Distributed by Paramount Vantage)

Performance by an actress in a leading role

• Anne Hathaway in “Rachel Getting Married” (Sony Pictures Classics)
  • Angelina Jolie in “Changeling” (Universal)
  • Melissa Leo in “Frozen River” (Sony Pictures Classics)
  • Meryl Streep in “Doubt” (Miramax)
  • Kate Winslet in “The Reader” (The Weinstein Company)

Performance by an actress in a supporting role

• Amy Adams in “Doubt” (Miramax)
  • Penélope Cruz in “Vicky Cristina Barcelona” (The Weinstein Company)
  • Viola Davis in “Doubt” (Miramax)
  • Taraji P. Henson in “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.)
  • Marisa Tomei in “The Wrestler” (Fox Searchlight)

Achievement in directing

• The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.), David Fincher
  • Frost/Nixon” (Universal), Ron Howard
  • Milk” (Focus Features), Gus Van Sant
  • The Reader” (The Weinstein Company), Stephen Daldry
  • Slumdog Millionaire” (Fox Searchlight), Danny Boyle

Best motion picture of the year

• The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (Paramount and Warner Bros.), A Kennedy/Marshall Production, Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall and Ceán Chaffin, Producers
  • Frost/Nixon” (Universal), A Universal Pictures, Imagine Entertainment and Working Title Production,Brian Grazer, Ron Howard and Eric Fellner, Producers
  • Milk” (Focus Features), A Groundswell and Jinks/Cohen Company Production, Dan Jinks and Bruce Cohen, Producers
  • The Reader” (The Weinstein Company), A Mirage Enterprises and Neunte Babelsberg Film GmbH Production, Nominees to be determined
  • Slumdog Millionaire” (Fox Searchlight), A Celador Films Production,Christian Colson, Producer

http://www.oscars.org/awards/81academyawards/nominees.html

Performance by an actor in a leading role

• Sean Penn in "Milk" (Focus Features)
  • Mickey Rourke in "The Wrestler" (Fox Searchlight)

Performance by an actor in a supporting role

• Philip Seymour Hoffman in "Doubt" (Miramax)
  • Heath Ledger in "The Dark Knight" (Warner Bros.)

Performance by an actress in a leading role

• Meryl Streep in "Doubt" (Miramax)
  • Kate Winslet in "The Reader" (The Weinstein Company)

Performance by an actress in a supporting role

• Amy Adams in "Doubt" (Miramax)
  • Penélope Cruz in "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" (The Weinstein Company)

Achievement in directing

• "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (Paramount and Warner Bros.), David Fincher
  • "Slumdog Millionaire" (Fox Searchlight), Danny Boyle

Best motion picture of the year

• "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (Paramount and Warner Bros.), A Kennedy/Marshall Production, Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall and Ceán Chaffin, Producers
  • "Slumdog Millionaire" (Fox Searchlight), A Celador Films Production,Christian Colson, Producer

This is who it comes down to, IMHO. Not necess. who I want to win, but who will.

And The Wrestler not being nominated, either for directing or for best picture, is a travesty.

EDIT: And Springsteen, who WON the Golden Globe for best orig. song, was snubbed too. Completely awful. The Oscars always get it wrong.

While I love movies about as much as I love sports, I haven't had an opportunity to see a lot of the nominated films. At the moment, I'm only rooting for Heath Ledger to win, since that was the best performance I've seen in a long time, & to me "The Dark Knight" was the best film of 2008.

I dont see how The Dark Knight doesn't get nominated for the Best Motion Picture of the Year...

Heath Ledger wins best supporting actor hands down.

I was listening to the announcement on my way to work this morning....the reviewer for KYW Philly said it was his choice for best flick.

He did suggest that Ledger is the only real lock among the major categories, and that because he's assumed to win, it will be the Academy's way of acknowledging the film itself.....basically, throwing it a bone. I never understood why they did that.

I wonder if Jen Aniston woke up this morning feeling sick.....

How come there always ends up beings movies in the Grammys that I have never even heard of? I am by far NOT a movie buff but I try to stay in the loop and yet every year there are a few movies with nominations that I didn't even see advertised or talked about.

I was listening to the announcement on my way to work this morning....the reviewer for KYW Philly said it was his choice for best flick.

He did suggest that Ledger is the only real lock among the major categories, and that because he's assumed to win, it will be the Academy's way of acknowledging the film itself.....basically, throwing it a bone. I never understood why they did that.

I wonder if Jen Aniston woke up this morning feeling sick.....

I agree that thats stupid. I don't plan on seeing most of the best pic nominees, but I highly doubt that all 5 of those movies are better than Dark Knight.

How come there always ends up beings movies in the Grammys that I have never even heard of? I am by far NOT a movie buff but I try to stay in the loop and yet every year there are a few movies with nominations that I didn't even see advertised or talked about.

Because The Grammys are for music. I could see how you got confused thinking 808's and Heartbreak was movie, and it was not playing at your local cinema.

"Two tickets for Tha Carter III, please!"

Ha ha... B)

Uhhh is it me or didn't this already happen or something? Cause on the commercial for Gran Torino it said Eastwood won best actor I am so confused as to there award shows there are so many of them.

Uhhh is it me or didn't this already happen or something? Cause on the commercial for Gran Torino it said Eastwood won best actor I am so confused as to there award shows there are so many of them.

No, Gary. The nominees were announced this morning. The award ceremony takes place 2/22. The Gran Torino ad is noting that Eastwood has won in the past. B)

No, Gary. The nominees were announced this morning. The award ceremony takes place 2/22. The Gran Torino ad is noting that Eastwood has won in the past. B)

Ohhhhhhhhh I see, than what was the one where Micky was saying how he loved his dogs and how they are the only thing he had when he was at rock bottom?

Because The Grammys are for music. I could see how you got confused thinking 808's and Heartbreak was movie, and it was not playing at your local cinema.

"Two tickets for Tha Carter III, please!"

Ha ha... B)

ahhh....touche. My mistake. The Oscars is what I meant.

My picks:

Rourke

Ledger

Streep

Davis

Boyle

Slumdog

Oh and Dark Knight for Best Picture? Please! Aside from Ledger's amazing performance it was uneven, too long, and just downright not that good. The box-office titles are for the summer-blockbuster super-duper hero movies, achievement in cinema focuses on the art of the craft.

My picks:

Rourke

Ledger

Streep

Davis

Boyle

Slumdog

Oh and Dark Knight for Best Picture? Please! Aside from Ledger's amazing performance it was uneven, too long, and just downright not that good. The box-office titles are for the summer-blockbuster super-duper hero movies, achievement in cinema focuses on the art of the craft.

As much as I hate to say it personally if Ledger didn't pass I doubt people would have the movie in such high praise but Ledger did play a hell of a joker non the less.

My picks:

Rourke

Ledger

Streep

Davis

Boyle

Slumdog

To each their own. I disagree about The Dark Knight, as it was not just a "superhero" movie; it was indeed a stellar example of the art of the craft. Christopher Nolan is a genius. Oh well, to each their own.

At work so I can't watch the vid right now. But yes, the Golden Globes awards both films & TV.

Also, the other difference is that the Golden Globes are voted on by the foreign press.

I think it's kinda interesting that Doubt got four actor nominations, but none of the other majors.

I didn't see it, but you would think that if so many people put in such strong performances in the same movie, it would have been more well regarded.

Archived