NBC Sports Edge Forums

2009 Oscar Nominees

HighLanderZ

Well I was just told not to do any work the rest of the day, but I can't leave. Which one of these movies would you guys suggest watching?

Even though I haven't been able to catch most of these films, I'd suggest "The Wrestler." That's the one I want to see most.

I also thought that "The Dark Knight" was overrated. A great performance from Ledger but to me, the entire work itself didn't live up to the hype.

Nothing can possibly live up to that much hype.

• 2 weeks later...
Slumdog is OK, if a bit overrated. And Benjamin Button is TOTALLY overrated.

I saw Benjamin Button last night. Not impressed. It was okay at best. The story started off well, but nose dived as he got older/younger. By the end, I was dying to get out of the theater! It was boring & bland w/ no real insight into anything. How the hell did this film get any nominations?

• 3 weeks later...

I still haven't seen most of the nominated films, mostly due to lack of interest. Yet I hope Danny Boyle wins best director b/c I'm a big fan of his prior films.

I'm rooting against Benjamin Button b/c it's truly overrated. As I mentioned, it's okay at best & doesn't deserve to be nominated in any categories other than visual effects.

Heath Ledger deserves to win. His performance felt psychologically true as he brought the character to life. And it's a crime that The Dark Knight doesn't have more nominations.

I dont see how The Dark Knight doesn't get nominated for the Best Motion Picture of the Year...

I like how Dark Knight is nominated for like 8 other technical categories - but not the director who actually had his hands in each one of the categories.

I still haven't seen most of the nominated films, mostly due to lack of interest. Yet I hope Danny Boyle wins best director b/c I'm a big fan of his prior films.

I'm rooting against Benjamin Button b/c it's truly overrated. As I mentioned, it's okay at best & doesn't deserve to be nominated in any categories other than visual effects.

Heath Ledger deserves to win. His performance felt psychologically true as he brought the character to life. And it's a crime that The Dark Knight doesn't have more nominations.

Well, I got my wishes.

Rourke was robbed (Penn was great, but Rourke was clearly superior). The Wrestler was robbed of a best picture nom. Aronofsky was robbed of a best director nom. Springsteen was robbed of a best song nom.

The Oscars = mainstream garbage.

(Just one guy's opinion)

Rourke was robbed (Penn was great, but Rourke was clearly superior). The Wrestler was robbed of a best picture nom. Aronofsky was robbed of a best director nom. Springsteen was robbed of a best song nom.

The Oscars = mainstream garbage.

(Just one guy's opinion)

I would say political more than mainstream garbage. Kate Winslet wins because she was nominated 5 or 6 times before and had never won, so its 'her time'. Rourke has bad-mouthed the system in the past, so the Academy's way of sticking it to him is to give the Oscar to Sean Penn even though hes won it before and is much more likely to get nominated again in the future than Mickey Rourke is.

I didn't see any of the best picture noms other than Slumdog, so I have a hard time honestly sitting here and saying that the Wrestler got screwed over by the other 4 films.

Archived