NBC Sports Edge Forums

Is Greg Zaun a keeper in AL only?

ssmarsh

I have Greg Zaun for $5 in my AL-only auction and I'm debating whether he's a keeper or not. My league fields two C's and therefore top tier catchers (Mauer, V-Mart, Pierzynski) tend to go for $15+, which is too much IMO. Backups go in the $4 - $6 range (which is where I got Zaun last year). I know Zaun isn't a great hitter and he's only a place holder for Wieters, but he's still likely to get close to 300 AB's in 2009, right?

I'm only considering him as a possible keeper because I'm trying to lower my keeper dollars to free up some money for the draft.

I wish our top teir catchers went for around $15....last year's salaries: Mauer ($26), V-Mart ($32), I-Rod ($20). Way too much for a catcher!

I had Zaun last year and had a similar thought. I guess it depends if he gets the AB's (300?), stays healthy (38 yrs old), and how soon Weiters is called up (I think it will be 1-2 months in order to avoid salary arb).

What would someone like Teargarden, Napoli, or Shoppach go for in your league? I have Max Ramirez (who will probably start in the minors barring a trade) but would like to see him get some PT at C or DH the way that he mashes a ball!

What would someone like Teargarden, Napoli, or Shoppach go for in your league?

Napoli went for $9 last year and Shoppach went for $4 (he'll likely be kept at that price). I'd expect Teagarden to go in the $5 to $8 range, but it could easily be less.

I really can't see keeping him for $5, even in an AL-only league. I'd drop him and bring him up early in the auction if you want him for less than that. What are you going to do with him once Wieters takes 85% of the games after his callup?

Since he's going to be a starter to open the season, I'm not sure Zaun would go for less than $5 in my league. We don't have to submit keepers for two more months so I'm going to want and see what develops with Wieters. Regardless, since we start two catchers, most teams in my league end up with a starter and a backup active every week. If it frees up auction dollars for me, I'd take 2 months of Zaun starting over owning two backups all season.

You know Zaun will probably hit for some power in Baltimore but I don't think he is worth it. Not if he spends most of the year as a back up. I noticed you had Suzuki for $8.00 and (although not a steal I suppose) based on the other prices you mentioned that sounds reasonable. I think he jumps up to 12-15 homers this year.

I guess it also depends on how many keepers you keep and how much money you have to spend but hearing the words "Is Greg Zaun a keeper" was a must read...lol

I noticed you had Suzuki for $8.00 and (although not a steal I suppose) based on the other prices you mentioned that sounds reasonable. I think he jumps up to 12-15 homers this year.

Yeah, I was thinking of keeping him over Zaun, but I'm tight on money and even $3 helps.

I guess it also depends on how many keepers you keep and how much money you have to spend but hearing the words "Is Greg Zaun a keeper" was a must read...lol

B) We can keep 7 and right now I'm looking at Damon ($17), Rios ($13), Meche ($10), Greinke ($8 after I long term him) and Soria ($24) as my first five. $0 salary players can't be kept. A bunch of guys are on expiring contracts and can't be kept (Youk, Dye, Ordonez, Papelbon). I'd love to keep Sizemore or Cabrera, but they're just too expensive. With two slots open I'm considering Suzuki ($8), Zaun ($5) and even Jason Frasor ($1) since we count holds. I want to keep my keeper payroll as low as possible since there will be A LOT of good talent available at the auction this season.

Yeah, I was thinking of keeping him over Zaun, but I'm tight on money and even $3 helps.

B) We can keep 7 and right now I'm looking at Damon ($17), Rios ($13), Meche ($10), Greinke ($8 after I long term him) and Soria ($24) as my first five. $0 salary players can't be kept. A bunch of guys are on expiring contracts and can't be kept (Youk, Dye, Ordonez, Papelbon). I'd love to keep Sizemore or Cabrera, but they're just too expensive. With two slots open I'm considering Suzuki ($8), Zaun ($5) and even Jason Frasor ($1) since we count holds. I want to keep my keeper payroll as low as possible since there will be A LOT of good talent available at the auction this season.

I got ya now. Your thought process does make sense but I wonder how much a starting catcher might cost you when you get into your auction?

It's sounds like it's either:

Suzuki at $8.00 plus money for a less productive back-up catcher probably (at what price??).

or

Zaun at $5.00 plus money for a starting catcher (at what price and how productive??).

Hard to know what's best because Zaun and Suzuki are both a decent deal at those dollars IMO.

And too bad Frasor doesn't pitch that many innings but it looks like you don't have any other dollar options. Otherwise you have Bartlett or perhaps you keep Zaun and Suzuki. Good luck with it.

And too bad Frasor doesn't pitch that many innings but it looks like you don't have any other dollar options. Otherwise you have Bartlett or perhaps you keep Zaun and Suzuki. Good luck with it.

Thanks. After thinking about it some more, I think I'll keep Suzuki, ditch Frasor and go in with 6 keepers (we can keep uo to 7 but can keep less if we like). Should be an interesting draft for me.

Archived