NBC Sports Edge Forums

trolling for cheap keepers

ssmarsh

My 10 team, AL only keeper league has entered the off-season trading period and I'm trolling rosters looking for super cheap keepers, preferably infielders to keep the MI and CO spots occupied. We field C*2, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, MI, CO, DH, OF*5. I know they're pretty much dogs, but I'd love some opinions on the following:

Nick Punto, SS, Min - I know he's Nick Punto, but he's an everyday player for $1. He's got a little speed and hits for a decent enough average. Worth it at a buck?

Marco Scutaro, SS/2B/3B, Tor - he started last year due to injury and put up decent $1 numbers. Is he going to start again this year or has he lost his job to Aaron Hill and John McDonald?

Brandon Inge, 3B/C, Det - I'm only interested since he qualifies at C even though he'll be manning the hot corner in Detroit this year. Worth it at $2?

5x5, Inge & Scutaro are probably worth it in 10 team leagues, but only if cash is a consideration. I don't like filling up the rosters pre-draft with guys that can only give you $4-5 more value, I prefer the flexibility. But in a 2C AL-only league, Inge has definite value that could exceed $10 (he just has to hit better than .250). Similarly, if Scutaro can stay in the leadoff value, he could give you $10 extra.

Punto is a guy I'd pass - bottom of the lineup, so not as much potential. Span/Casilla at the top of the order IMO.

Thanks for the reply, RRF.

Similarly, if Scutaro can stay in the leadoff value, he could give you $10 extra.

And there's the rub. I'm not sure if (1) he's starting and (2) if he's hitting at the top or bottom of the lineup. Time will tell.

Punto is a guy I'd pass - bottom of the lineup, so not as much potential. Span/Casilla at the top of the order IMO.

I was thinking along the same lines, but my estimates have SS and 2B being extra thin at my draft this year due to the guys who will likely be kept. Punto will likely go in the $5 to $8 range on d-day.

Thanks for the reply, RRF.

And there's the rub. I'm not sure if (1) he's starting and (2) if he's hitting at the top or bottom of the lineup. Time will tell.

I was thinking along the same lines, but my estimates have SS and 2B being extra thin at my draft this year due to the guys who will likely be kept. Punto will likely go in the $5 to $8 range on d-day.

If you have time to wait, you can get a better feel on Scutaro - he is the penciled leadoff guy, which is what I'm basing my statements on. That's the key difference with Punto - he's at *best* going to be bottom of the lineup, and with Crede now there & Casilla pretty safe at present, he doesn't have that super-utility option - that's why I'd stay away.

If you have time to wait, you can get a better feel on Scutaro - he is the penciled leadoff guy, which is what I'm basing my statements on. That's the key difference with Punto - he's at *best* going to be bottom of the lineup, and with Crede now there & Casilla pretty safe at present, he doesn't have that super-utility option - that's why I'd stay away.

I'd hang onto Scutaro and Inge at those prices; I wouldn't be jumping for joy by any means but solid keepers. Inge is nice like you said since he qualifies at catcher. Scutaro has the whole possible leadoff thing going for him so he should score some runs.

Better ways to find 15-20 steals than risking your batting average if Punto decides to hit .<.250 this season. Especially if you plan on keeping both Inge and Punto, you would already have 2 possible low BA guys.

My offer to get Inge and Punto was accepted so my keeper squad is shaping up as follows:

C - Inge, $2

MI - Punto, $1

OF - Damon, $17 and Rios $13

SP - Meche, $10 and Greinke, $8 (after I long term him)

CL - Soria, $24

7 players for $75 isn't terrible. I have another offer out there to get Ryan Garko at $1 and if that goes through I'd slap him in the CO slot and he'd take Damon's keeper place, bringing my keeper dollars down to $59. I expect there to be plenty of power hitting talent available at the draft so the more money I have to spend on d-day, the better.

Archived