NBC Sports Edge Forums

How am I loosing??

Spina

In a 14 Team League I am 12th overall right now! Just about all my position players seem to be studs and my pitchers all have good names with sub-par starts.

C- Geovany Soto- NL Rookie of the Year and playing like crap

1B- James Loney- Didn't adress 1b until late in the draft so whatever, but he's actually playing extremely well (despite no HRs)...batting 4th or 5th on a high powered offense and hitting .319 with 14 RBIs

2B- Aaron Hill- Studly...behind Ian Kinsler, no one has been better at 2B

3B- Evan Longoria- Stud...AL Rookie of the Year

SS- Alexei Ramirez- Starting to heat up...runner up to Longoria for AL Rookie of the Year

OF- Manny Ramirez- Stud

OF- Ryan Ludwick- Stud

OF- Nelson Cruz- Stud

UT- Justin Upton/Ian Stewart- Upton looks like he's heating up and Stewart just needs to start playing everyday.

SP- Cliff Lee- AL Cy Young

SP- AJ Burnett

SP- Ricky Nolasco

SP- Gavin Floyd...17-18 game winner last year

SP- Clayton Kershaw

SP- Max Sherzer

SP- David Purcey...lots of Ks and got hosed out of a Win or two

SP- Anthony Reyes...has looked pretty decent so far

SP- Nick Blackburn...decent pitcher who had a great outing last time out

So again, I just don't get it?!! I think my pitching just needs to start coming around with Soto starting to eat whatever Alexei and Upton ate.

What's your take??

your pitching is sub par after the first couple guys. cliff lee had a career year last year so you cant really expect that from him again (especially 20+wins on a barely .500 team) I like burnett, nolasco, sherzer, and kershaw. floyd is on the bubble for me. but i can tell you in my 14 team league purcey blackburn and reyes arent even owned. (nor really should they be) you should check the FA pool and see whats available as far as starting pitching. Also Mike gonzalez is now sharing closer duties and could be completely cut out of that mix soon so look for releivers too. Maybe you can get lucky and no has picked up scott downs yet.

As far as your offense goes you look pretty solid. Just keep a watch for an upgrade at 1b and probablly util.

i can tell you in my 14 team league purcey blackburn and reyes arent even owned. (nor really should they be) you should check the FA pool and see whats available as far as starting pitching

All three of those guys haven't been great but they have been decent for me. As far as WW pick up there really isn't ANYThing of value out there right now.

And Downs has been on a team for awhile now.

you're losing because much of your pitching staff has stunk up the joint and you have two youngsters filling out your util. Upton was god awful till the weekend and he probably killed you in several categories. So yah, you need your pitching to improve and hope that you get more production from your 1st and util positions.

Your pitching isnt good - thats half the points right there

By no means is my staff horrible (they may be playing bad right now but they aren't horrible)...either way I respect and thank you for the opinion.

And you are right, it is half the points, so...

Upton was god awful till the weekend and he probably killed you in several categories.

Upton, Alexei and Soto have all killed me.

I think this team is definitely good enough to compete. And I disagree with everyone about the your starting pitching. I think it's fairly good, especially for a 14 teamer. However, do you own any closers or did you boot saves? It says you do in your signature but not in the team that you posted. If you did boot saves that's obviously going to hurt you and may be part of your problem. Overall though, I would say be patient, your team will come around. You have a solid 4 SPs (I'm not a fan of Floyd). I would say keep streaming a 5th starter until you find the right guy and you should begin your assent up the standings.

I think this team is definitely good enough to compete. And I disagree with everyone about your starting pitching. I think it's fairly good, especially for a 14 teamer. However, do you own any closers or did you boot saves? It says you do in your signature but not in the team that you posted.

Thanks for the vote of confidence...i kinda need it at this point (especially with the pitching staff). My two closers are in my sig., I just didn't list them for whatever reason.

your hitting will be there - you should dominate most of those stats in a 14 team league - never good to panic. your pitching isn't great - work the FA and you should do alright. good team..

The panic button hasn't been pressed yet, however the finger is inching closer and closer by the day...appreciate the input.

All three of those guys haven't been great but they have been decent for me. As far as WW pick up there really isn't ANYThing of value out there right now.

And Downs has been on a team for awhile now.

Even if they have been decent so far they have very limited ceilings. All you can hope for really with those three is a decent era and whip. Purcey has had a lot of k's lately but i dont think he projects into a very high k guy in the majors. I understand that there isnt very much available in a 14 team league but you gotta make a move for some guys with a higher upside in my opinion, or atleast play who has been hot. I checked around my league and came up with some names that may be available.

These guys are either decent prospects, good pitchers off to bad starts, or ok/bad pitchers off to good starts. Id read up/monitor some of them, not neccessarily just grab them right away but some should be available to you and definately worth a look.

Trevor Cahill

Dallas Braden

Koji Uehara

Todd Wellemeyer

Andy Sonnastine

Aaron Cook

Rick Porcello

Mike Hampton

Scott Richmond

Micah Owings

Id say you need to atleast get rid of reyes and pick up someone else.

Koji Uehara

Todd Wellemeyer

Andy Sonnastine

Aaron Cook

Rick Porcello

Mike Hampton

Scott Richmond

Micah Owings

Hey, thanks for doing the research and looking into this...I've been looking hard at the WW for awhile too and every single one of the guys you listed above are taken with the exception of Micah Owings who I considered, but...

yah it's not like your team is bad, many of your guys that have been dreadful will eventually turn it around.

for the time being, just be smarter about when you start some of your pitchers. you have a lot of NL pitchers, so utilize their split numbers to your advantage (like playing them against Zona and Giants at home, etc).

What's the deal with Masterson? He's looked good when he was up last year and so far this year, but he's going back to the Pen when Dice-K comes back right? Same goes for Aaron Laffey.

Both are on the WW, with guys like:

Josh Geer- pretty good WHIP...anyone have any feelings on him?

Jason Marquis

Brandon McCarthy

Other than that, not so much

Archived