NBC Sports Edge Forums

1st face transplant patient shows face

HighLanderZ

Um, ... wow ...

Nation's first face transplant patient shows face

By MARILYNN MARCHIONE, AP Medical Writer Marilynn Marchione, Ap Medical Writer – 37 mins ago

CLEVELAND – Five years ago, a shotgun blast left a ghastly hole where the middle of her face had been. Five months ago, she received a new face from a dead woman. Connie Culp stepped forward Tuesday to show off the results of the nation's first face transplant, and her new look was a far cry from the puckered, noseless sight that made children run away in horror.

If they wants us to be impressed with that face, they are definitely gonna need to show before pics because I am not impressed.

This is what I found funny: "She would walk down the street and kids would scream in horror." Oh really? and what are they gonna do now? Point and laugh?

In the Doctor's defense, her face pretty much looks like a 50 year old American woman's face that weighs 300lbs. Which is ironic, the plastic surgeon has a foreign name, maybe that is just how he views Americans. :shrugs:

Here's the before and after. I would have posted this link earlier, but I figured highlanders had the pics. Just terrible what this women has gone through. She's obviously still in the early stages after the surgery, so there's still much improvement to be made. And if you look at the before and after, I don't know how you could call this anything other than a huge success. In regards to the heavy face:

Culp’s expressions are still a bit wooden, but she can talk, smile, smell and taste her food again. Her speech is at times a little tough to understand. Her face is bloated and squarish, and her skin droops in big folds that doctors plan to pare away as her circulation improves and her nerves grow, animating her new muscles.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30586321/wid/11915773?GT1=31037

Here's the before and after. I would have posted this link earlier, but I figured highlanders had the pics. Just terrible what this women has gone through. She's obviously still in the early stages after the surgery, so there's still much improvement to be made. And if you look at the before and after, I don't know how you could call this anything other than a huge success. In regards to the heavy face:

Culp’s expressions are still a bit wooden, but she can talk, smile, smell and taste her food again. Her speech is at times a little tough to understand. Her face is bloated and squarish, and her skin droops in big folds that doctors plan to pare away as her circulation improves and her nerves grow, animating her new muscles.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30586321/wid/11915773?GT1=31037

Great improvement, but I am still grossed out. Post final pictures up in a few years and maybe then I will be impressed. Story none-the-less is crude, nobody should have to endure that.

that's amazing. next in line should be that woman who had her face eaten off by the chimp.

You mean the Chimp from Connecticut. CONNECTICUT RULES!!!!!!!!!!

You mean the Chimp from Connecticut. CONNECTICUT RULES!!!!!!!!!!

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if you and Travis were buddies... B)

**My 6000th post has to be about a chimp and Gary...WTF? Where's MT when you need him...?**

Chist brah, it was a joke, settle. This is by far the most uptight forum on the internet. He's not hurting anyone with his (funny) joke.

Chist brah, it was a joke, settle. This is by far the most uptight forum on the internet. He's not hurting anyone with his (funny) joke.

Jesus, my post completely flew over your head. Obviously I know he was making a joke, I even said that in my post. And I think he's a POS for doing it. I just hope someone blasts him in the face with a shotgun so I can 'joke' about his face transplant.

Jesus, my post completely flew over your head. Obviously I know he was making a joke, I even said that in my post. And I think he's a POS for doing it. I just hope someone blasts him in the face with a shotgun so I can 'joke' about his face transplant.

Relax man. I am sure everyone feels bad for the lady that this happened to. And maybe making jokes is a poor choice but to ridicule him and what not shows poor judgment by you. Who cares if he is from Boston why does that make him a bad guy? Does it make you a bad guy because your handle is D-Bag? Take a Lude and chill out.

Relax man. I am sure everyone feels bad for the lady that this happened to. And maybe making jokes is a poor choice but to ridicule him and what not shows poor judgment by you. Who cares if he is from Boston why does that make him a bad guy? Does it make you a bad guy because your handle is D-Bag? Take a Lude and chill out.

Trust me, I'm pretty relaxed over here. Believe it or not, I really don't care that much about anonymous msg boards. Still...am I not allowed to express my opinion...that anyone who would make jokes about a women's face transplant due to shotgun blast to the face..is a worthless human being?? And I'm baffled how you compare creating the handle 'Dbag' to making fun of someone nearly decapitated by a shotgun...

I am sure everyone feels bad for the lady that this happened to.

:shrugs: I truly feel nothing, but I can handle some internet troll calling me a POS.

Exactly why I rarely visit these forums anymore...

Agree...completely. I took a 6 or so month break from visiting anything but the Off-Topic and Hockey forum, just recently wandered back into Baseball and Basketball and I can see it hasn't changed at all.

Trust me, I'm pretty relaxed over here. Believe it or not, I really don't care that much about anonymous msg boards. Still...am I not allowed to express my opinion...that anyone who would make jokes about a women's face transplant due to shotgun blast to the face..is a worthless human being?? And I'm baffled how you compare creating the handle 'Dbag' to making fun of someone nearly decapitated by a shotgun...

Within the Code of Conduct that applies to all forum members, which states, "attacking an opinion is allowed, attacking a poster is not." Calling or implying a forum member is a POS is a no-no. Please observe the Code of Conduct linked atop every page. Thank you.

Archived