NBC Sports Edge Forums

Vince Young 2009

Br0kenB

Vince Young told WMAR-TV in Baltimore Monday that he wants a chance to play, or out of Tennessee.

Young lost his starting job to Kerry Collins last year when he struggled horribly in new coordinator Mike Heimerdinger's offense, then sprained his MCL in Week 1. "If them guys don’t want me to be in there, it’s time for me to make a career change," he said. "I’m ready to play ball. If they’re not ready for me to play ball, then somebody is." The Titans say V.Y. will compete in camp, but he'd have to outplay Collins by a huge margin to regain the position. Jun. 1 - 8:46 pm et

What do you guys see for the future of Vince Young, both in dynasty formats and re-drafts? Does he have any value if he is traded to a team like St. Louis, or San Francisco, teams with QBs who are lacking? Does he have any value if he is brought in by a team to be a Wildcat option? Does he have any value in Tennessee if he wins the job from Collins? This is one of the most talented players in the NFL and I can't figure out where the best situation for him would be.

Discuss!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do you think that? Because they started the wildcat?

Nope - Because the fans are easy going and will show empathy towards his depression... That and the fact that they have a young group of wide receivers and a solid backfield also make it a solid spot for this kid

Nope - Because the fans are easy going and will show empathy towards his depression... That and the fact that they have a young group of wide receivers and a solid backfield also make it a solid spot for this kid

But will Parcells show empathy towards his depression? I don't know where Vince will end up but I don't think it will be in Miami, I think he will stay in Tennessee.

I dont think there is a good situation for him, I dont think he will ever be a good NFL QB regardless where he plays. Having said that I dont see any chance the Titans get rid of him, although if I were them I would bail on the kid while he still has some value. VY hasnt shown me anything to make me think he can be a successful NFL QB and the past season on the bench and this latest statement from him further make me believe he just doesnt have "it". He is still under contract he doesnt control his future the Titans do, so him saying they need to play him or he needs a change of scenery mean absolutely nothing. Theres a certain 85 in the league who has tried to work his way outta town hows that worked out so far? He has gone from fun loving great player who does crazy TD celebrations to now being an annoyance and someone the media loves to bash.....how long before VY is seen as the next 85?

Also if VY cant beat out Kerry Collins he doesnt deserve to be on the field for any team! Collins is one of the worst starters in the league, if you cant beat him out maybe this NFL thing isnt gonna pan out for you....Maybe when you throw more TDs than INTs VY will be worth listening to, until then he is nothing more than a lesser version of Mike Vick, minus the dog fighting.....As for value, Im sure there are much better players out there for your team and unless your in a league that doesnt minus for turnovers and gives a lot of points for QB rushing yards he has little to no value.

Miami took White in the draft and already has Chad I and Chad II. Not a likely destination at all. IMO, Young is right where he needs to be. Let Fisher and Co. keep developing him. Mike Heimerdinger (Titan's OC) loves QB's with escapability because he likes lots of guys in pattern and rarely max-protects. He's one of the reasons that the Jets lost Chad Pennington and Jay Fiedler on the same day.

It's up to Young to get mentally healthy and to digest the play book and the goings on. It seems like a 50/50 shot right now. I'd love to see him get back out there. He's a fun guy to watch.

Miami took White in the draft and already has Chad I and Chad II. Not a likely destination at all. IMO, Young is right where he needs to be. Let Fisher and Co. keep developing him. Mike Heimerdinger (Titan's OC) loves QB's with escapability because he likes lots of guys in pattern and rarely max-protects. He's one of the reasons that the Jets lost Chad Pennington and Jay Fiedler on the same day.

It's up to Young to get mentally healthy and to digest the play book and the goings on. It seems like a 50/50 shot right now. I'd love to see him get back out there. He's a fun guy to watch.

Exactly, end of story. The last thing Miami needs is a QB; they're the last team worth talking about here.

I also agree that Tennessee is where he needs to be; he's playing behind an old, short-term QB so he can sit and learn for another year. When he is ready to play, Tennessee is a running team so that'll help him a lot.

The elephant in the room is Young's contract. Unless his play improves dramatically, there will be absolutely zero interest in trading for him until it expires or is re-negotiated sharply downward. He's affordable for 2009 (~$2M in salary and ~$2.5M in amortized bonus cap hit), but he gets ridiculously overpriced in the 2010 season, when he's due to make $7.5M plus a $4.25M roster bonus. Indeed, (depending the existence and wording of any language in the contract guaranteeing funds) I think a trade is less likely than a scenario where he spends another season on the bench, and then is cut before that 2010 roster bonus is due.

Young needs to shut his mouth and show the Titans that he has the mental capacity to play QB. He has no leverage at this moment because of his ridiculous contract. That's the thing about some of the superstar college players who have had everything handed to them until they come to the big boy league and can't handle it. If you can't beat out a 37 year old Kerry Collins to start in TEN, then you probably aren't going to start anywhere else.

Young needs to shut his mouth and show the Titans that he has the mental capacity to play QB. He has no leverage at this moment because of his ridiculous contract. That's the thing about some of the superstar college players who have had everything handed to them until they come to the big boy league and can't handle it. If you can't beat out a 37 year old Kerry Collins to start in TEN, then you probably aren't going to start anywhere else.

Pretty tough to argue with that last sentence.

VY will be backing up collins again. Get ready for the clipboard and backwards cap.

Vince Young doesn't wear his hat backwards.

It only looks like that because his head is on backwards.

Pretty tough to argue with that last sentence.

Kerry Collins is a good quarterback and fits that team very well. I think it would be pretty easy to argue with that sentence.

Kerry Collins is a good quarterback and fits that team very well. I think it would be pretty easy to argue with that sentence.

Pretty good? I'd say below average by most standards. Fits that team? He's a medium fit at best. Heimerdinger wants a mobile QB like he had with Elway or with McNair. When Heimerdinger had Pennington and Fiedler in NY, they both got killed and 'Dinger was run out of town.

They have to change everything they do with Collins. He fits because they fit the offense to him. If he's what they want in that offense, then why did they want Vince Young? I mean, whether you like Young or not, he wasn't ever going to play anything like Kerry Collins. There were plenty of pocket passers available like Leinart or Cutler.

Pretty good? I'd say below average by most standards. Fits that team? He's a medium fit at best. Heimerdinger wants a mobile QB like he had with Elway or with McNair. When Heimerdinger had Pennington and Fiedler in NY, they both got killed and 'Dinger was run out of town.

They have to change everything they do with Collins. He fits because they fit the offense to him. If he's what they want in that offense, then why did they want Vince Young? I mean, whether you like Young or not, he wasn't ever going to play anything like Kerry Collins. There were plenty of pocket passers available like Leinart or Cutler.

What's your point? Collins went 13-3 last year and VY sucks.

What's your point? Collins went 13-3 last year and VY sucks.

The Titans D and Chris Johnson went 13-3 while Kerry Collins was along for the ride and VY sucks.

• 2 weeks later...
I've heard that VY has gotten himself into really good shape over the offseason. He is not a bust and just needs another chance.

now if he could just learn to read defenses. The guy is a bust if he can't beat out a washed up Kerry Collins. He has to make his own chances in the NFL.

now if he could just learn to read defenses. The guy is a bust if he can't beat out a washed up Kerry Collins. He has to make his own chances in the NFL.

Heck, he may not even beat out Ramsey for the #2 job... Because of his salary, Vince Young is as good as cut next off-season. His NFL future (or perhaps lack thereof) will be determined based on where he ends up in '10 and beyond. Barring injury to Collins, I don't see him taking a single snap this year.

Archived