NBC Sports Edge Forums

Vince Young 2009

Br0kenB

They are finally doing what they should have been doing from the start of the year, two starts for VY...CJ has 49 carries and 5 catches. They put to much faith in Collins and let him air it out way to much, CJ only had 2 games with over 20 touches when Collins was the starter.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the increased dependence on the run game has more to do with the success than VY, but I have to say I can't give up on Young just yet. In college he showed ton of grit. He's a winner. I know that's cliche and generally means a guy doesn't have a lot of talent, but Young does. He's never going to light up the air and that will limit his fantasy value, but wouldn't Tennessee be the ultimate match for him once they get the D straightened out again? Run first team where he's not going to be depended on to throw for 300 yards. Plus having a game manager with the ability to break off a huge play with his legs adds a dynamic to the Titans offense. I thoroughly enjoyed his college career and I'd love to see him have some success as a pro.

• Root Admin
I think the increased dependence on the run game has more to do with the success than VY, but I have to say I can't give up on Young just yet. In college he showed ton of grit. He's a winner. I know that's cliche and generally means a guy doesn't have a lot of talent, but Young does. He's never going to light up the air and that will limit his fantasy value, but wouldn't Tennessee be the ultimate match for him once they get the D straightened out again? Run first team where he's not going to be depended on to throw for 300 yards. Plus having a game manager with the ability to break off a huge play with his legs adds a dynamic to the Titans offense. I thoroughly enjoyed his college career and I'd love to see him have some success as a pro.

Agreed with most of this. Young's probably never going to have gaudy passing statistics. However, he's a winner (he's won his last 7 starts) and his impact permeates through the offense and the team. Titans average as a team about a yard and half more in the run game when Young is in the game throughout his career. CJ's a stud and the star of that team, but it's no coincidence (the schedule helps a little too) that he's had 3 huge games in a row with Young at the helm. Young's impact on the run game goes all the way back to his days at Texas. The threat of him running allows wider running lanes for RBs.......

Anyone actually thinking about rolling the dice with VY this week? He'll probably only throw for his usual 220 yds, but this could be a game where he exploits the Titans def for some decent yardage on the ground. Not to mention, Hou/Tenn is often a shootout.

Guest ciderjack6
Anyone actually thinking about rolling the dice with VY this week? He'll probably only throw for his usual 220 yds, but this could be a game where he exploits the Titans def for some decent yardage on the ground. Not to mention, Hou/Tenn is often a shootout.

plus he holds a grudge against the Texans for not picking him

• 2 weeks later...

The game winning drive last night by VY and the Titans was awesome last night. I don't know what got into VY but something clicked in his head. He is reading the field, adjusting to pressure, and making good decisions with the football. He isn't trying to run after his first read breaks down anymore.

The game winning drive last night by VY and the Titans was awesome last night. I don't know what got into VY but something clicked in his head. He is reading the field, adjusting to pressure, and making good decisions with the football. He isn't trying to run after his first read breaks down anymore.

That is the key right there.

Let's hope he stays in his happy place. Good stuff.

Not that we should expect a 300+ yard game every week but he's looking a lot more fantasy relevant than I expected. Add a good receiver and who knows.

With Carson Palmer and his big 12 throws a half letting me down on a weekly basis, VY is essentially turning into my #1 option on what somehow is still a playoff team.

• 2 weeks later...
With Carson Palmer and his big 12 throws a half letting me down on a weekly basis, VY is essentially turning into my #1 option on what somehow is still a playoff team.

Same here. Palmer has turned into Kyle Orton for some reason. I'm starting VY at home vs. StL for my first round playoff game.

how are we all in the same boat here ... Palmer or Young and it hinges on this injury news.

Almost the same boat, the only difference is that my Carson Palmer is actually Matt Ryan & his turf toe... On top of all that my league doesn't allow waiver acquisitions after the playoffs start. Soooo, I am screwed if neither one of these fools play...

how are we all in the same boat here ... Palmer or Young and it hinges on this injury news.

My QB is situation is just disgusting. I've been wasting a roster spot on carrying THREE quarterbacks for the past six weeks or so (VY/Palmer/Garrard). As far as I'm concerned, Palmer isnt even an option going forward. The guy hasnt broken 250 yards passing since early October. That's completely absurd.

In a perfect world, I'd play a healthy VY this week no questions asked. Considering he's likely to be a GTD, I'm gonna go the safe route and start Garrard tonight. There's no way I'd risk waiting til Sunday, having VY ruled out and being forced to play Palmer. Now if he does suit up, even a one-dimensional Vince is a far superior option over Palmer and his 9 dump off completions a game.

Almost the same boat, the only difference is that my Carson Palmer is actually Matt Ryan & his turf toe... On top of all that my league doesn't allow waiver acquisitions after the playoffs start. Soooo, I am screwed if neither one of these fools play...

That stinks. My local has a similair rule which I actually kinda like, however, the rule stipulates that add/drops can only be made if you can't start a legal lineup due to injury/suspension/etc. You should definitely petition the commish and see if you can get an exemption or at the worst case, put it to a vote for next year so that it doesnt happen again.

That stinks. My local has a similair rule which I actually kinda like, however, the rule stipulates that add/drops can only be made if you can't start a legal lineup due to injury/suspension/etc. You should definitely petition the commish and see if you can get an exemption or at the worst case, put it to a vote for next year so that it doesnt happen again.

palmer could put up 5 tds at anytime ... the guy is healthy (ankle that is) ... not sure whats up with the playcalling though unless the elbow is having problems

Archived