NBC Sports Edge Forums

Scott Feldman

Spina

If you all haven't noticed, Scott Feldman has been doing more than a good job for the high-powered offense that is the Texas Rangers since being moved into the rotation from the bull-pen.

With 8 starts so far, he is 5-0 with an ERA of 3.70 and WHIP of 1.18 (his ERA and WHIP should be MUCH lower, but his few appearances out of the bull-pen he got beat up).

In his 3 no-decisions he also pitched great. Take a look:

LAA...6.0inns-4hits-0ERs

SEA...6.1inns-4hits-1ER

CWS..5.2inns-3hits-3ERs

Here are his lines form his 8 starts:

@BAL...(W) 5.0inns-4hits-1ERs

CWS...........5.2inns-3hits-3ERs

@OAK...(W) 6.0inns-4hits-2ERs

SEA............6.1inns-4hits-1ER

LAA............6.0inns-4hits-0ERs

@HOU...(W) 6.2inns-5hits-2ERs

OAK......(W) 6.0inns-5hits-2ERs

@NYY....(W) 6.1inns-5hits-2ERs

His strikouts have gone up in the past few games but he was striking out like 3 a game before that (not great but getting better, 54inns/31Ks). But he's a tall guy with a 96mph fastball and great control. All 8 of his starts have just about been quality starts, and his game against the Yankees the other night was the true test for me, in which he passed with flying colors.

Over the past month of work, no other pitch in the majors besides Cliff Lee and Scott Feldman have 6 QS. Over that same time he is ranked the 14th overall SP in Yahoo with a 2.41 ERA and 1.10 WHIP.

Anyway, the kid is pretty good and I was surprised to see no thread on him, so I made one.

Still available in 80% of Yahoo Leagues so go get him.

Guest ciderjack6

His overall numbers are nice but his peripherals are uninspiring and point to regression.

Of course he could go out and win 20 games and outpitch his peripherals all season a la Joe Saunders, but overall he's too risky for my taste.

Hey Bog, I see you reading...what's your overall take on him?

From just the other day in The Thread ...

Scott Feldman - He has changed his arm angle - or at least added a little variation from when I first saw him as he is somewhere between sidearm and very low 3/4 in his deliveries. He has gradually eliminated some of the knocks by expanding his arsenal with a cutter (he already had a respectable if not great fastball, slider and change) and better command of the strikezone. His motion makes it difficult for hitters, especially righthanded hitters, to pick up the ball and that also helps quite a bit. Still, he is not going to ever be a big K guy and he does pitch in Texas so there are bound to be scary games now and again. He fits nicely as a back of the rotation/spot starter in deeper leagues, but he has limited upside.

I had him early in this 5 QS run but I got out when the going was good and cut him before the other shoe drops. A la Matt Harrison, another Texas Ranger who had early success. I try not to "go to the well" one too many times with upstart pitchers.

Who in the world is the Rangers pitching coach anyway between Feldman, McCarthy, etc.? Earning his paycheck this year.

I'm pretty sure it's Greg Maddox's older brother...Don't forget Matt Harrison (pre-Yankees match-ip and DL stint)

Having Nolan Ryan there everyday doesn't hurt either.

Together, Maddux and Nolan have really changed the pitching mindset for the Rangers.

Feldman gets a lot of movement on his fastball and his cutter is becoming a real plus pitch. He breaks multiple bats per game and opposing teams are beginning to comment that he is a real tough guy to hit. The OP says his fastball is 96mph but typically I've seen it around 92-93mph but with nice movement. Sometimes I think his pitches move so much that he actually struggles a little with command hence the low batting average against but high pitch counts and shorter outings.

Not only are his hits allowed very low during his starts, but rarely are teams even hitting the ball hard against him. He is looking really tough and could become outstanding if he could gain just a little more command. I've seen enough to pick him up (my league is H2H and gives a quality start bonus) and I think he will prove to be the Ranger's top pitcher this year.

he's getting very lucky in general (his .238 babip is way too low), but if you need wins, he has a nice offense behind him (in case you havent noticed by now B))

I picked him up a couple of starts ago and use him a spot starter.

Between the 3 resurgent young Rangers SP's (Feldman, Harrison, and McCarthy), Feldman's the one you watch and recognize that he's throwing nasty stuff. The sinker, cutter combo has been great and he's getting ground balls like Derrik Lowe. That's important in Texas obviously, but with their excellent infield defense it's a good omen for continued success by Feldman.

Obvioulsy you wouldn't expect him to be this consistently studly on your fantasy team, but I would feel at least as good about rostering Feldman as I would Milwood and he's owned in most leagues.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm streaming this guy tomorrow against the mighty SF Giants offense heh, anyone else? ...if he does ok maybe I'll keep him around awhile.

He's been in my every week rotation for about a month now and I have been happy with each one of his performances. Wouldn't think SF is going to put a stop to him. Start with confidences...he makes a great back of the rotation guy who performs at a much higher level then given credit for.

• 1 month later...

So, am I the only one crazy enough to start him tonight against the nova-hot Angels?

I am just hoping for another QS here...he's had like, what, his past 7/8 or 8/9 starts as quality starts?

So, am I the only one crazy enough to start him tonight against the nova-hot Angels?

I am just hoping for another QS here...he's had like, what, his past 7/8 or 8/9 starts as quality starts?

Not so crazy...the dude is 11-4 with a good ERA and great WHIP. I start him every outing.

I do however have a problem....how is it possible that he had 4ERs and not 3 for the QS??

He gave up 1 ER in the 1st, then in the 7th...

Aybar singled

Napoli singled

Matthews Jr. Singled

So bases loaded and Feldman is taken out...still 1 ER, then:

Kendrick grounds into fielders choice, Aybar scores (2nd ER), Napoli to 3rd, and Matthews OUT at second.

Izturis HR, Napoli scores (3rd ER) and Kendrick.

SO....

1st Inning= 1st ER

Aybar= 2nd ER

Napoli= 3rd ER

Am I missing something? I really need that QS. Either way, Feldman continues to get it done each game and he is still owned in only 54% of leagues.

Not so crazy...the dude is 11-4 with a good ERA and great WHIP. I start him every outing.

I do however have a problem....how is it possible that he had 4ERs and not 3 for the QS??

He gave up 1 ER in the 1st, then in the 7th...

Aybar singled

Napoli singled

Matthews Jr. Singled

So bases loaded and Feldman is taken out...still 1 ER, then:

Kendrick grounds into fielders choice, Aybar scores (2nd ER), Napoli to 3rd, and Matthews OUT at second.

Izturis HR, Napoli scores (3rd ER) and Kendrick.

SO....

1st Inning= 1st ER

Aybar= 2nd ER

Napoli= 3rd ER

Am I missing something? I really need that QS. Either way, Feldman continues to get it done each game and he is still owned in only 54% of leagues.

On the fielder's choice which erased Matthews, Kendrick becomes Feldman's runner for ER purposes. I was so angry that they left Feldman out there after 3 straight hits, especially since he threw 110+ pitches through 6. He shouldn't have come out for the 7th at all, but for the love of God, take him out after the first or second hit. Bastards.

Everyone on the rangers blog i go to was yelling about leaving him in even before he allowed a baserunner

Really? Before he gave up the 3 singles in a row in the 7th he was dealing to the tune of 7Ks in 6innings!

On the fielder's choice which erased Matthews, Kendrick becomes Feldman's runner for ER purposes.

Ahhh, thanks for that....it was driving me crazy.

Everyone on the rangers blog i go to was yelling about leaving him in even before he allowed a baserunner. his PC was way up, there was a big lead... no reason at all to leave him in further.

Oh well.

i have attempted to have logical conversations with the fans on the rangers blog but it always gets me nowhere. they are not the smartest folk, to say the least

Feldman is now 12-4 with a decent to good ERA, good WHIP, a lot of Double Plays, and now 14 QS. He has also had a K/per inning in his last few starts.

12-4

King Felix

Matt Cain

Scott Feldman

14 QS

Scott Feldman

Matt Garza

Yovani Gallardo

Jerard Weaver

James Shields

Mark Buehrle

Kevin Millwood

Not only is he in good company in all categories but he is a good pitcher. A pitcher that gets no respect.

And still only owned in 58% of leagues! That's just crazy.

This guy has come out of nowhere to win 12 games. Between him and Tommy Hunter (who I call "that other Tommy H" in relation to Tommy Hanson) I never would have expected that Texas would be a source of great pitching this year. What a turnaround from last year! I'm now wondering if I should keep this guy rather than stream him. Seems like at the rate he's going he could win 16-18 games this year.

• 2 weeks later...

7 IP, 11 Ks today, wow!

21 Ks in his last 24 2/3 now, could definitely be a fluke but his K rate was RIDICULOUSLY low for most of the season so maybe its finally coming back up to a more reasonable level (low that it may be) that he can maintain.

Archived