NBC Sports Edge Forums

Shawn Marion 2009-2010

gsw

Now that the postseason is officially over, we can now start discussing the important stuff! Now Marion has had a few bad years in a row, but I do think he could be a nice mini-sleeper. At the end of last year he started getting his groove back. This is also probably because Calderon was hurt all year and started to play better towards the end as well. Here are a few pros and cons to consider:

Pros

1. Marion will have a full off-season to practice and gel with his Toronto teammates

2. Chris Bosh, much like Amare is not a great rebounder

3. Supposedly, Toronto is trying to implement an uptempo offense

Cons

1. Calderon is not Steve Nash

2. Marion is getting up there in age

3. Marion's former defensive prowess in fantasy may have been a result of the hectic pace he played in

As you can see, the #3 pro and con points are interrelated. With Colangelo in charge and Sam Mitchell gone, perhaps this is the year that Toronto starts running. If this happens, I believe we will see a return to the 2 steal 1.5+ block days that we were accustomed to from Marion.

I believe he may give solid 2nd round value in 9 cat leagues. Thus, I will start to look at drafting him in the 3rd round, and consider it a steal to get him in the 4th. Hopefully the yahoo rank of him will be so low next year and we can all reap the benefits!

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wouldnt draft him before round 6. scoring and efficiency has been declining for years now. Me personally, im not a big fan of drafting guys declining in their careers. To draft marion in the third round means you left scores of other players on the table including...Kidd, rashard lewis, d west, jason richardson, pierce, jamison, gerarld wallce. I want all of those players over marion in a heartbeat

Did I miss something? Did Marion sign with Tor? I thought he was a FA now. Or are you just assuming he stays in Tor? I thought for sure he would leave.

While Tor has a ton of money to resign him if they wish I'm not sure that they said they want to keep him as well.

Last year I went into the year saying I wouldn't touch Marion unless he fell to the end of the 3rd round. Depending on where he goes, I don't think I would draft him till end of the 4th as of now.

i think the O.P. means by "where does he go?" means "where does he go in the draft?/when do we draft him?"

One totally depends on the other. Theoretically, if he signed with PHX or GSW for the MLE, obviously that would be a lot better for his prospects than if he signed with a grind-it-out team where he had a lot of competition at SF/PF.

I think thats probably true that his value could increase in another situation with less competition (preferably a run and gun team). However, I just tend to think this guy has looked old only and over the hill the last year or so. Anybody else see this?

One totally depends on the other. Theoretically, if he signed with PHX or GSW for the MLE, obviously that would be a lot better for his prospects than if he signed with a grind-it-out team where he had a lot of competition at SF/PF.

Wow, I totally missed that he was a FE. Anyways, although he has looked old, he was rejuvenated at the end of this past year.

With all that said, I guess no one is looking at him that early so I wont either. I'll adjust my projections for him to the fourth round and above.

yeah, but am I the only one who feels 100% positive he'll stay in Toronto this comng season?

Marion has only been with the Raptors for about 1 month. he needs more time to gel with the team. also, Colangelo wants this guy for the long haul.

yeah, but am I the only one who feels 100% positive he'll stay in Toronto this comng season?

Marion has only been with the Raptors for about 1 month. he needs more time to gel with the team. also, Colangelo wants this guy for the long haul.

Well Colangelo may want that, but does Marion want that as well?

I haven't studied which team has money under the cap this year and seeing where he might fit and which GM may push for him.

• 3 weeks later...

If Dallas can get Marion that would be a STEAL, Marion flourishes with a pass first point guard (Nash, maybe Kidd now). Marion is an above average defender and can rebound well for his size, exactly what Dallas needs, another rebounder who can also defend. I'm guessing if they got him, the starting five would be; Kidd, Howard, Marion, Dirk, Dampier, with Terry coming off the bench being the 6 man.

If Dallas can get Marion that would be a STEAL, Marion flourishes with a pass first point guard (Nash, maybe Kidd now). Marion is an above average defender and can rebound well for his size, exactly what Dallas needs, another rebounder who can also defend. I'm guessing if they got him, the starting five would be; Kidd, Howard, Marion, Dirk, Dampier, with Terry coming off the bench being the 6 man.

Good points.. but the starting five I believe will be:

PG - Jason Kidd

SG - Josh Howard

SF - Shawn Marion

PF - Dirk Nowitzki

C - Martin Gortat

Dampier is good as gone once the Gortat deal is done, but overall, I like your points on Marion's defensive skills and rebounding, something that this team has struggled with the past couple of years even though I do believe their defense has improved since Avery Johnson's days at the helm.

Prior to Toronto signing Turkey-Glue we were offering a 4 year deal in the range of $35 Mil, but I think he was looking for about $40 Mil.

FYI....Toronto is destroying their team...take it from a Torontonian.

Prior to Toronto signing Turkey-Glue we were offering a 4 year deal in the range of $35 Mil, but I think he was looking for about $40 Mil.

FYI....Toronto is destroying their team...take it from a Torontonian.

Was thinking the same thing. Signing an aging Turk to that huge contract and basically letting Marion walk is a mistake. They could have paid Marion ok and moved Calderon for a solid penetrating PG like Baron Davis or maybe even Andre Miller IMO.

Was thinking the same thing. Signing an aging Turk to that huge contract and basically letting Marion walk is a mistake. They could have paid Marion ok and moved Calderon for a solid penetrating PG like Baron Davis or maybe even Andre Miller IMO.

and take on those huge contracts (Davis's current contract, and Miller's asking price for his)?! That would have made Toronto worse. Calderon is an up and coming "elite" PG in this league, no way you trade him away.

and take on those huge contracts (Davis's current contract, and Miller's asking price for his)?! That would have made Toronto worse. Calderon is an up and coming "elite" PG in this league, no way you trade him away.

Elite fantasy PG sure. Real life? No way.

This Dallas rumor sounds like much ado about nothing IMO. I say he signs with TOR, they come up a little bit but I would be very surprised to see him get more than 4 and $38-$40MM at the absolute most. TOR's best case is signing him for the MLE after nobody shows interest in signing him as a FA, which would qualify Marion's griping in PHX as one of the most umitigated player salary disasters in NBA history, he could have had something like 4 and 60 right?? As Tony Montana said "Look at you now!!"

This Dallas rumor sounds like much ado about nothing IMO. I say he signs with TOR, they come up a little bit but I would be very surprised to see him get more than 4 and $38-$40MM at the absolute most. TOR's best case is signing him for the MLE after nobody shows interest in signing him as a FA, which would qualify Marion's griping in PHX as one of the most umitigated player salary disasters in NBA history, he could have had something like 4 and 60 right?? As Tony Montana said "Look at you now!!"

AFAIK unless the Raptors are able to shed further salary they won't even be able to offer Marion the MLE--they have to renounce his rights AND the MLE in order for them to be able to sign Turkoglu.

I have emailed a couple people on this and haven't gotten a response yet, unfortunately.

AFAIK unless the Raptors are able to shed further salary they won't even be able to offer Marion the MLE--they have to renounce his rights AND the MLE in order for them to be able to sign Turkoglu.

I have emailed a couple people on this and haven't gotten a response yet, unfortunately.

I do not think they need to renounce the MLE.... not 100% sure on that but I do not think they need to.

I do not think they need to renounce the MLE.... not 100% sure on that but I do not think they need to.

Well from my (rather extensive) knowledge of the CBA, the MLE counts against a team's salary cap even if they haven't used it (for accounting purposes). This is to avoid teams clearing a bunch of space, then signing a bunch of FAs and THEN using the MLE to sign another FA.

I will read up and see what I can find.

The Mavericks are said to be very close to acquiring Raptors forward Shawn Marion in a sign-and-trade deal for Jerry Stackhouse.

Stackhouse would be dealt to the Raptors, who would then send his contract to another team for considerations. After keeping Jason Kidd, if the Mavericks can pull off this deal, they're going to be one of the elite teams in the West again.

Archived