NBC Sports Edge Forums

Shawn Marion 2009-2010

gsw

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shawn Marion and Jason Kidd will thrive together for sure, one question I have is do you still keep Jason Terry off the bench? Who is going to play the starting 2 for you? Josh Howard? Given all of his ankle problems over the last 3 years I have to wonder if he can even guard opposing SF's anymore let alone SG's.

i would think JET still comes off the bench.

PG - Kidd

SG - J-Ho

SF - Matrix

PF - Dirk

C - Damp

but i would not be surprised if at times we saw a small lineup of:

PG - Kidd

SG - JET

SF - J-Ho

PF - Matrix

C - Dirk

that would be a sick lineup. Marion did play PF in Phoenix alongside Amare at C.

This Dallas rumor sounds like much ado about nothing IMO. I say he signs with TOR, they come up a little bit but I would be very surprised to see him get more than 4 and $38-$40MM at the absolute most. TOR's best case is signing him for the MLE after nobody shows interest in signing him as a FA, which would qualify Marion's griping in PHX as one of the most umitigated player salary disasters in NBA history, he could have had something like 4 and 60 right?? As Tony Montana said "Look at you now!!"

Bonzi Wells. Latrell.

PG - Kidd

SG - JET

SF - J-Ho

PF - Matrix

C - Dirk

Dirk at C is impossible, he is soft in the paint and rebounds like a nancy - that is a lineup set for disaster.

Dirk at C is impossible, he is soft in the paint and rebounds like a nancy - that is a lineup set for disaster.

this just in:

Marcin Gortat signed an offer sheet from Dallas for five years and $34 million.

The Magic have seven days to match the offer, and while they're expected to take all of that time to make the decision, it would be very surprising if they match it.

wow! this could make the Mavs a true contender now!

Is Howard really capable of playing SG?

It seems like this would be the Mavs' best bet:

Kidd

Wright (or whoever)

Howard

Dirk

Gortat

with

Barea

Terry

Marion

Bass (if he resigns)

Dampier

on the bench. Obviously you don't want a 10 man rotation, but you can play Wright/Barea like 15 minutes a game, play Dampier like 10 minutes a game at most and give the lion's share to the rest of the guys.

Just heard on the radio here in Dallas that the Memphis Grizzlies have agreed to be the 3rd team to complete the deal. Stackhouse to the Raptors who then turn around and send to the Grizzlies, which will take on his entire contract (but will opt for the 2Million buyout) while The Matrix is sent to the Mavericks.

Should've just checked the Rotoworld updates:

The Grizzlies are now involved in a potential trade that would send Shawn Marion to the Mavericks.

The Grizzlies would absorb Jerry Stackhouse's $7.25 million contract and then buy him out for $2 million before the Aug. 10 deadline in Stackhouse's contract. The deal is pretty far along, but it doesn't sound likely to be finalized until Thursday, at the earliest.

Wow, playing alongside Jason Kidd in a fast paced offense will do wonders for Marion again! Also, damn all these teams are getting stacked! I'm so excited for next season! If only the Warriors can get this Amare deal...

Just heard on the radio here in Dallas that the Memphis Grizzlies have agreed to be the 3rd team to complete the deal. Stackhouse to the Raptors who then turn around and send to the Grizzlies, which will take on his entire contract (but will opt for the 2Million buyout) while The Matrix is sent to the Mavericks.

Should've just checked the Rotoworld updates:

The Grizzlies are now involved in a potential trade that would send Shawn Marion to the Mavericks.

The Grizzlies would absorb Jerry Stackhouse's $7.25 million contract and then buy him out for $2 million before the Aug. 10 deadline in Stackhouse's contract. The deal is pretty far along, but it doesn't sound likely to be finalized until Thursday, at the earliest.

I'm confused, what exactly is Tor getting out of the deal? and what does Memphis get as well?

I'm confused, what exactly is Tor getting out of the deal? and what does Memphis get as well?

Toronto is getting the cap space to sign Turkoglu.. Memphis wants the expiring contract of Stackhouse.

I don't know if you guys saw the updated 4 team deal, but Brian Colangelo just proved himself to be a basketball genius. Somehow convincing Orlando to make it a sign and trade with Turk was golden, and I THINK (I'm no expert on basketball salary rules) that acquiring him via S&T versus UFA signing gives us more financial flexibility with other UFA's (possibly Delfino?, etc) as well as other trades. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Full details on the Marion trade:

Mavericks Antoine Wright and Devean George, and Raptor Kris Humphries have all been moved in part of the Shawn Marion trade to Dallas.

Wright and George will end up in Toronto, while Humphries is on his way to the Mavericks. George and Humphries aren't expected to offer fantasy value, but Wright is a likely starter at shooting guard, as it appears that Anthony Parker is heading to the Cavaliers. Ric Bucher also said via Twitter that Raptors shooting guard Quincy Douby is heading to Memphis, along with the contract of Jerry Stackhouse, in the deal.

Also add in the fact that Orlando actually was the 4th team in this deal that sent Hedo Turkoglu to the Raptors.

Magic free agent Hedo Turkoglu will be joining the Raptors after a sign-and-trade deal was agreed to on Wednesday.

The trade sending Shawn Marion from the Raptors to the Mavericks is complicated, as the Magic are the fourth team involved in the deal. The Magic will get cash and $10 million trade exception in the deal. Marion and Kris Humphries go to the Mavericks, Jerry Stackhouse and Quincy Doubly to the Grizzlies, and Antoine Wright and Devean George to the Raptors. Marion and Turkoglu are the big pieces to the puzzle, but Wright could start at shooting guard for the Raptors.

Hmm...now I have to redo my draft board...Marion just became a bonafide 3rd to 4th rounder.

Just hope Yahoo doesn't rank him too high.

So the Mavs are now the pre-Shaq Suns that made a run at the playoffs - except they can play defense, which makes them even scarier:

1) Kidd = pass-first PG just like Nash w/ less offensive weapons but better D

2) JHo= a less defensive but way better offensive SG

3) Marion = Marion (but is sure to have lost a step overall from his Suns days - is there enough weak-side D to make him fantasy relevant again? His fantasy success depends on the Mavs game plan.)

4) Dirk = Amare - weak D but solid offense plus the ability to drain a 3

5) Gortat = I admittedly don't know much about this guy but sounds like whatever irrelevant player they had trading off w/ Amare (who was it, Voskuhl?)

6) Terry = Barbosa - explosive offense off the bench - but better. Way better.

Not sure I buy it, but an interesting analysis and comparison. There are still loads of question marks. See my comments...

1) Kidd- Piss poor at stopping opponents dribble penetration at this juncture of his career. His defense is really a concern to me at this juncture of his career. Still a great playmaker and reliable 3 pt shooter.

2) Howard- which josh Howard shows up. All star or oft injured malcontent?

3) Marion- Can J Kidd rejuvenate a fading star? Solid defender

4) Dirk- Improved D and toughness. Still the face of the franchise. Will all the off court drama affect him at all. I doubt it.

5) Gortat- Massive improvement over Dampier. Will defend, score and rebound. Excellent pick up.

6) Terry- Still a fan favorite and as good of 6th man as there is the NBA

Bench Looks a little thin after JT and Dampier..........

So the Mavs are now the pre-Shaq Suns that made a run at the playoffs - except they can play defense, which makes them even scarier:

1) Kidd = pass-first PG just like Nash w/ less offensive weapons but better D

2) JHo= a less defensive but way better offensive SG

3) Marion = Marion (but is sure to have lost a step overall from his Suns days - is there enough weak-side D to make him fantasy relevant again? His fantasy success depends on the Mavs game plan.)

4) Dirk = Amare - weak D but solid offense plus the ability to drain a 3

5) Gortat = I admittedly don't know much about this guy but sounds like whatever irrelevant player they had trading off w/ Amare (who was it, Voskuhl?)

6) Terry = Barbosa - explosive offense off the bench - but better. Way better.

Not sure I buy it, but an interesting analysis and comparison. There are still loads of question marks. See my comments...

1) Kidd- Piss poor at stopping opponents dribble penetration at this juncture of his career. His defense is really a concern to me at this juncture of his career. Still a great playmaker and reliable 3 pt shooter.

2) Howard- which josh Howard shows up. All star or oft injured malcontent?

3) Marion- Can J Kidd rejuvenate a fading star? Solid defender

4) Dirk- Improved D and toughness. Still the face of the franchise. Will all the off court drama affect him at all. I doubt it.

5) Gortat- Massive improvement over Dampier. Will defend, score and rebound. Excellent pick up.

6) Terry- Still a fan favorite and as good of 6th man as there is the NBA

Bench Looks a little thin after JT and Dampier..........

Well they also have Barea and Gerald Green.. Green I would love to see get some more playing time, kid can be special if given a chance.. Well here are the final details of the trade:

Here's the details of the complicated four-team deal:

MAVS GET:

F Shawn Marion

F Kris Humphries

C Nathan Jawai

G Greg Buckner

Cash considerations from Toronto

RAPTORS GET:

G Antoine Wright

F Devean George

F Hedo Turkoglu

GRIZZLIES GET:

G Jerry Stackhouse

Toronto second-round pick

Cash considerations from Dallas and Toronto

MAGIC GET:

Cash considerations from Dallas and Toronto

The Mavs now are not what the suns were. Don't get me wrong, the Mavs now have a potential to be Very good, But modern day Kidd has nothing on Nash in those prime seasons. Also the Mavs will most likely play bigger with Gortat, moving Marion to SF, while the Suns played small and fast with Marion at 4 and Amare at 5. there are many other comparisons.

I really like this move for the Mavs. I just think the Lakers and Spurs arent going to make it easy for the Mavs to rise it to the top. But the mavs did go from Bubble team to a very likely top 4 seed.

Full details on the Marion trade:

Mavericks Antoine Wright and Devean George, and Raptor Kris Humphries have all been moved in part of the Shawn Marion trade to Dallas.

Wright and George will end up in Toronto, while Humphries is on his way to the Mavericks. George and Humphries aren't expected to offer fantasy value, but Wright is a likely starter at shooting guard, as it appears that Anthony Parker is heading to the Cavaliers. Ric Bucher also said via Twitter that Raptors shooting guard Quincy Douby is heading to Memphis, along with the contract of Jerry Stackhouse, in the deal.

wow, they finally moved that stubborn-a** Devean George out of there.

lol. better late than never.

I dont usually make bold predictions, but I will today. Not a shot (barring further moves) does Dallas finish top 4. The Lakers, Spurs, Nuggets and Blazers will all finish ahead of them and by considerable margin.

I really like this move for the Mavs. I just think the Lakers and Spurs arent going to make it easy for the Mavs to rise it to the top. But the mavs did go from Bubble team to a very likely top 4 seed.

Archived