NBC Sports Edge Forums

Shawn Marion 2009-2010

gsw

Hidden

Ignore FT% and Smoove runs away with it. Last year, the only other categories Marion beat him in were rebounds and turnovers, and that was in a down year for Smith. He should improve this year, while Marion is getting old and has significantly less potential left. If you count FT%, though, then I'd rather have Marion.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

based on the fact that josh howard is still hurt. i think marion could be pretty solid this season.

depending on who is available in the 3rd round, i may or may not take him.

in the 4th round i think he is pretty good value; however i don't know if i would choose him over david lee or biendrins

Hidden
he fell all the way in the 6th pick in my league. im trying to find someone in my team i can trade for him. i don't think the owner is that high on him. help?

alot of people in my league arnt high on him either, makes me wonder...

another stellar line in limited minutes running with Kidd and crew.. 14,5 1 rip in 20 mins..it hasn't been a large sample this preseason..but his per averages have to be near what he was doing in pheonix..old matrix looking stat lines in limited minutes this preseason..just hope he stays healthy! The Matrix is back!

I wish I could trust Marion as he has been falling towards the end of the 3rd-early 4th rounds in a lot of the mock drafts that I've participated in. Maybe it's just because I owned him last year and he left a stamp on my brain and I can't see past it, but I've grown all to accustom to the 08-09 standard Marion line of 13pts/6rebs/1stl/1blk.

Chalk me up as someone who's too trigger shy to draft him, but here is to hoping he does well.

I like him alot for next year and would look to get him in the late 3rd early 4th. However, since my draft tomorrow is a ftm league, he is not quite as valuable.

I wish I could trust Marion as he has been falling towards the end of the 3rd-early 4th rounds in a lot of the mock drafts that I've participated in. Maybe it's just because I owned him last year and he left a stamp on my brain and I can't see past it, but I've grown all to accustom to the 08-09 standard Marion line of 13pts/6rebs/1stl/1blk.

Chalk me up as someone who's too trigger shy to draft him, but here is to hoping he does well.

I think this is the consensus feeling amonst a lot of the experts out there and different fantasy websites..they say this and that have been in decline over the last few years..but i see it as that decline being his attitude and happiness in playing ball..the decline started when he wasn't happy in pheonix, and then of course being shipped out to grave yard teams such as miami and toronto.. when you are an all-star like Marion, attitude obviously has a lot to do with performance.. well this is a new year on a new team that is challenging for a title .. he is an up tempo offense again with a pass first hall of fame PG in Kidd..Cuban is his owner now who obviously provides EVERYTHING to keep his players happy.. and it isn't like he is ancient, he is 31 yrs old..no reason he can't turn back the clock this year and i think A LOT of people have been sleeping on him! the " experts" included..the only concern i see is health, but he has never had major injuries before..

the matrix is DONE

Marion is an excellent pick anywhere from 3rd round down. Even with his "horrible, horrible" year last season he still finished ranked around 35 overall. Years prior to that he was a consistent top 3 ranked player for many years.

Fantasy noobs focus all their attention on points/boards/assists and ESPN hype. Instead of spending a 1st round pick on Dwight Howard or Deron Williams, perhaps taking a look at Marion may actually take you to the playoffs for once.

man, he scored 14 pts, 5 rebs, 1 stl, 6-7 from the field. in 20 mins.

that's pretty solid in my opinion.

clearly you can't expect him to be putting up his old Phoenix Suns numbers. not with a stacked team and deep bench like the Mavs have, compared to the shallowness of the old PHoenix Suns team had. Marion had to be the main inside presence and play every single minute, back then.

man, he scored 14 pts, 5 rebs, 1 stl, 6-7 from the field. in 20 mins.

that's pretty solid in my opinion.

clearly you can't expect him to be putting up his old Phoenix Suns numbers. not with a stacked team and deep bench like the Mavs have, compared to the shallowness of the old PHoenix Suns team had. Marion had to be the main inside presence and play every single minute, back then.

What's really the difference for his role this year in Dallas? It isn't like Dirk or Gooden or known for being a main inside presence..Marion's role in Dallas this year is actually very similar to his role in Pheonix..

What's really the difference for his role this year in Dallas? It isn't like Dirk or Gooden or known for being a main inside presence..Marion's role in Dallas this year is actually very similar to his role in Pheonix..

i actually think Dirk and Gooden are very much known to be strong inside presences. particularly Gooden who is a ball-hog rebounder. He notoriously robbed Lebron James of a triple double, only to grab his 20th rebound that same game. lol.

Shawn Marion worked well in Phoenix because they played a very fast-tempo offense. He was smaller but quicker than the PFs he faced off against. And Marion was Nash's go-to guy on the fast break.

But when Marion faced off against Lamar Odom, Odom was too big and too athletic himself. He schooled Marion everytime.

I think Marion will definitely play better than last year. Miami was a lousy fit for him being the second best player on the team. He's better off when teams have to focus on other guys allowing Marion to run wild. Miami had a lot of young kids on that team learning the game and it hurt Matrix's game as he can't be the man on a team. In Toronto, he played on a perimeter oriented team that didn't run much and no one really required double teams. You aren't going to double team Bosh, Calderon or Bargnani outside.

In Phoenix they ran a lot and a lot of drive and dish which really brings out Matrix's assets strongly. Plus they had players in Nash and Amare drawing a crapload of attention. It was to Matrix's advantage to play PF and outquick the other PF's. Playing small forward is probably not to his best advantage for Dallas since they'll be able to keep up with him more on the run but maybe not down low. But in Dallas he'll have established players in Kidd, Dirk and Terry drawing attention in different ways. I think he's going to be more in the middle between his Phoenix days and last year in regards to stats. Kidd will be looking for him on the break. Dirk and Terry will draw a lot of attention. Also, he's probably going to play better defense on this team as more guys on this team will play better D than the other 2 teams as veterans and it will allow him to freelance more. When Howard comes back he'll probably be even better on defense I think as Howard will cause more problems for the other team when he sticks they're guards man up.

This is all opinion just like all of everyone's comments. Shoot if we knew exactly who was going to bust or boom every year, this game would be easy. I like Marion's chances to get 2nd round value again and shooting 3's better this year.

avoidin marion from now on, where will he fit in Dallas, looks like the same situation he had in Miami, and also a year older too I see an avg of 11 pts 6 rb and less than a block and steal per game, looks like a waiver wire pick up when u need a injury replacement

avoidin marion from now on, where will he fit in Dallas, looks like the same situation he had in Miami, and also a year older too I see an avg of 11 pts 6 rb and less than a block and steal per game, looks like a waiver wire pick up when u need a injury replacement

you are a fool to think he will be in the waiver wire pick up.

last year he was ranked #43, and that was being on a team that was the opposite of what he thrives in. dallas is pretty close to exactly the right situatuion for him. i see him having #20-30 value this year

Now .. That's Ridiculous!

16,7 1 rip 3 blks!! 50%,80% zero TOs.. Ill take that for his first full game with his new team..should only get better and better as they get to know each other!

Yeah he looked good out there except for that airball from downtown. Yuck. Ahaha I wish he would stop taking 3's at this point in his career.

Archived