NBC Sports Edge Forums

Shawn Marion 2009-2010

gsw

I love the numbers he produced, but I think it could be a lot better...he was standing around most of the game in the half court sets...anytime the team ran some motion for him or got him involved in some pick and rolls he was extremely effective, or if the mavs could fast break more it would help(...although the Wizs were making a lot of shots to prevent the fast break)...all in all, I think much better things will come in the future offensively speaking...

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love the numbers he produced, but I think it could be a lot better...he was standing around most of the game in the half court sets...anytime the team ran some motion for him or got him involved in some pick and rolls he was extremely effective, or if the mavs could fast break more it would help(...although the Wizs were making a lot of shots to prevent the fast break)...all in all, I think much better things will come in the future offensively speaking...

Watching Marion over the last couple years (Miami and Toronto) he has done that a lot. I have owned him the last three years in my 8-cat league and it is frustrating, he still finds a way to put up stats though so I am not complaining.

First full game..he is still learning the offense and kidd and dirks tendencies..very fine line for his first full game with the crew..looks very promising..

First full game..he is still learning the offense and kidd and dirks tendencies..very fine line for his first full game with the crew..looks very promising..

Yeah I agree...it was just one of those games if you watched and then looked at the box score afterwards...you'd be like..."Oh? He got 16 pts 7 reb 3 blks 1 stl on 50% shooting..."

Good game for Marion tonight. I was not expecting much from him based on his stints in Miami and Toronto but he may have some gas left in the tank.

Yeah I agree...it was just one of those games if you watched and then looked at the box score afterwards...you'd be like..."Oh? He got 16 pts 7 reb 3 blks 1 stl on 50% shooting..."

yeah i hear ya..he had a crazy spurt with like 2 1/2 minutes left..

how much will josh howards return hurt marions value?

Not at all...they obviously have no problem giving Marion minutes at PF too..he will be on the court all the time between SF and PF and the Matrix doesn't need plays ran for him to get his numbers, he just needs to be on the court..

Not at all...they obviously have no problem giving Marion minutes at PF too..he will be on the court all the time between SF and PF and the Matrix doesn't need plays ran for him to get his numbers, he just needs to be on the court..

I agree with this. It may cost Marion some minutes but not much. They can go small with Josh at the 3 and SM at the 4 or go big with Josh at the 2 and SM at the 3. And then they have their 3 PG lineup which needs SM's rebounding at the 4 so Josh sits. It will be interesting, but Marion's minutes figure to remain high.

He has looked great in his first three games, he isn't showing any lingering signs of his calf injury either (36 minutes/game).

He also hasn't attempted a 3FG since his airball in game 1, I think that is a good thing at this point.

Ok i will admit that i have been praising this guy coming into this year..but he had a bad game yesterday and looks absolutely HORRIBLE tonight! He has as many TOS as REBOUNDS!! Has that ever happened in his career?? He looks slow, old and just throws shots up there hoping it goes in it looks like..im moving him..adios Matrix..or Marion..the Matrix is long gone..

Ok i will admit that i have been praising this guy coming into this year..but he had a bad game yesterday and looks absolutely HORRIBLE tonight! He has as many TOS as REBOUNDS!! Has that ever happened in his career?? He looks slow, old and just throws shots up there hoping it goes in it looks like..im moving him..adios Matrix..or Marion..the Matrix is long gone..

B)

he still has 1 steal and 2 blocks, so i'm holding my breath that he's still working his way back into shape after his off season injuries.

B)

he still has 1 steal and 2 blocks, so i'm holding my breath that he's still working his way back into shape after his off season injuries.

maybe thats it?? he is still getting in shape? Id love to hear that out of him..

Marion is such a bad offensive player when he can't dunk the ball it's hilarious. I can't believe how many times he has been swatted in the paint and failed to finish in fast break settings because he doesn't attack the rim strong and just floats the ball up at the rim. I watched points after points brick off the rim every time he'd get an easy 4-foot hook shot and he just rushes his floater and misses what should be an automatic shot.

Marion is such a bad offensive player when he can't dunk the ball it's hilarious. I can't believe how many times he has been swatted in the paint and failed to finish in fast break settings because he doesn't attack the rim strong and just floats the ball up at the rim. I watched points after points brick off the rim every time he'd get an easy 4-foot hook shot and he just rushes his floater and misses what should be an automatic shot.

I know..but didn't all those floaters used to go in? Whats the difference now? Is he just old and a full step slower now with not as much lift? ....everything else seems to be there but he is just not making shots! weird..maybe he is still adjusting to his teammates?

I know..but didn't all those floaters used to go in? Whats the difference now? Is he just old and a full step slower now with not as much lift? ....everything else seems to be there but he is just not making shots! weird..maybe he is still adjusting to his teammates?

I don't have any numbers to back it up, but I don't think there has been much of a change. In PHX any shot you missed at any point during the game before the 4th quarter wasn't scrutinized because you could just run back down the court and attempt to score again 10 seconds later. I think that he had tons more dunks playing with Nash and in that uptempo system rather than where in MIA/TOR he had to create a bit for himself which means he'd have to use the floater which is obviously a much lower percentage than an alley-oop dunk.

I'm not saying that the floater is a bad basketball shot, Tony Parker and Chris Paul use it almost exclusively in the paint to avoid the shot blocking of big men and Joe Johnson has pretty much made it a staple in his offensive arsenal. However, I must point out that Shawn Marion is 6"7 and one of the most athletic players to ever step foot on the court - he should be going strong to the rim every time trying to dunk the ball and he would see many more FT opportunities and I am betting a higher completion percentage for those shots in the paint.

This, and he has always shot the basketball like a girl. His shooting form on 3's and free throws is one of the ugliest in the NBA.

This, and he has always shot the basketball like a girl. His shooting form on 3's and free throws is one of the ugliest in the NBA.

he shoots like teenwolf. i was disappointed watching him lastnight, but I always knew he has no offense, even when he was here in phoenix. having said that, he'll still be fine. those little floaters arent bad shots, and he wont lose the ball every single time he cuts to the basket. its just a bad game. his defense will be there the whole year, which is one of the main reasons you draft him

Another night of getting the ball from 8 ft in and flicking it up there as quickly he can as if someone has a gun to his head..how did this guy ever shoot 50%?? Must have been 3/4 dunks on the run with Nash..because no way is he shooting anywhere close to that the way he just throws errant shots up there every night..im shipping him out, i gave the Matrix a shot and he is no longer alive..the Matrix, sadly is dead..

uglier than noahs?

funny you say that..im thinking of moving Marion for Noah..am i nuts? Noah looks like a beast this year and the real deal..he is putting up Camby like numbers..no signs of Noah slowing down either..

until Tyrus Thomas comesback?

I dont think that even matters.. Noah is the no doubt center now, a cornerstone of the defense and team in general..Tyrus is not a coach's favorite and with Gibson around i just dont see him being that big of a factor this year..if anyone was going to be a buzz kill to Noahs breakout its Brad Miller, but they have obvioulsy given the center position to Noah soley now..he is getting all sorts of run now.

I dont think that even matters.. Noah is the no doubt center now, a cornerstone of the defense and team in general..Tyrus is not a coach's favorite and with Gibson around i just dont see him being that big of a factor this year..if anyone was going to be a buzz kill to Noahs breakout its Brad Miller, but they have obvioulsy given the center position to Noah soley now..he is getting all sorts of run now.

i donno, i dont think noah will be monstrous like that. His boards might be consistent, but his points and ft%, not so much

Archived