NBC Sports Edge Forums

Blackhawks ink Hossa to 12-year deal.

Br0kenB

I'm a Blackhawks fan. This means Havlat isn't coming back. Hossa is a great player but Marty seemed to have pretty good chemistry with everyone... but Hossa is just a beast. I love this deal, some needed experience and a great player.

Khabby is over the hill.

I doubt it... I think his value is at an all time low... he used to play here in Buffalo and used to be such a great two way player, dunno what happened.

I have limited knowledge to hockey as well. Definitely last on my sports list, behind UEFA.

ya me too, but a newbie to the sport

any way we can get rid of the campbell contract?

Campbell isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future. I wish he would as he has been overrated for the Hawks. Sure he got his assists but I watched him single-handedly give up many odd man breaks for the opposing team. I think there was one stretch of the regular season where he want -3 4 games straight and Quenny eventually demoted him to 4th defensive line.

Hossa signing is WIN! Much more complete offensive player than Havlat from what I have seen, plus the fact that Havlat staying healthy for a whole year for the most part last year was a miracle. Hossa should give some much needed experienced scoring threat which the Hawks needed so bad when Havlat got taken out by Kronwall and forgot to show up many of the other games. This definitely means Havlat is not coming back.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Khabbi now. They are paying Huet a lot of money to be a secondary goalie, I wouldn't be at all shocked or upset if they let Khabbi walk and let Huet take over the gig. He has been amazing at times and then down right terrible at other times. I think with some hard work put in he has the makings to put up some solid numbers with some good defensive in front of him.

It seems the hawks have made themselves legitimate offensively. I could go for a solid defensive defensemen with experience to add to the roster thought we will be getting Sopel back from injury. Keith and Seabrook are gonna get better but Walker needs to go because he sucks something terrible. Barker and Campbell are terrible defensively. Hjalmy is positionally sound but not someone who is able to ride a good player off the puck but he has a lot of growing to do.

Anyways, the Hossa trade is great. You take a huge weapon away from the Red Wings and you add him to your team. That's Double Win. Rock on Rocky!

Crazy long deal. 12 years? Doesn't that mean he'll be like 43 when the deal is over? Don't get me wrong, Hossa is a great player, and to nab him for $5.2 mil a year is solid value, but the end of the contract seems like it will be a killer for the Hawks.

Crazy long deal. 12 years? Doesn't that mean he'll be like 43 when the deal is over? Don't get me wrong, Hossa is a great player, and to nab him for $5.2 mil a year is solid value, but the end of the contract seems like it will be a killer for the Hawks.

ya he is 30 now, but contract is frontloaded so it will be much less at the end of the contract

well its frontloaded so he gets 7.5 for first 7 years (his prime); only makes like 3 million after that...if he drops off they can buy him out cheaply

good move; havlat is a good player but hes pretty injury prone......not sure hawks cap space and if they can get khabby back.....they did just sign huet

ahh didnt see fitzs post.....but yea basically what he said

Hossa and Havlat are both dynamic players; Hossa more so and Hossa can stay on the ice

Towes, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook is a nice core

matt walker signs with lightning and kopecky signs with blackhawks 2 yrs 2.4 mill

Thankfully Walker is gone...he was such a liability and paint dries faster than he skates. He has a heavy right hook though.

ahh didnt see fitzs post.....but yea basically what he said

Hossa and Havlat are both dynamic players; Hossa more so and Hossa can stay on the ice

Towes, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook is a nice core

Still don't quite understand why Sharpy was stuck on the 4th line in the playoffs. When Havlat went down, he was the only offensive threat we had outside of Towes and Kane yet he was stuck playing with Burish and Fraser and Eager.

Still don't quite understand why Sharpy was stuck on the 4th line in the playoffs. When Havlat went down, he was the only offensive threat we had outside of Towes and Kane yet he was stuck playing with Burish and Fraser and Eager.

injury?

makes no sense if not

Nikolai Khabibulin has signed a four year deal with the Edmonton Oilers.

The contract is worth $15 million. This is a good move by the Oilers who lost Dwayne Roloson earlier in the day to the Islanders via free agency. Khabibulin was outstanding last season with a 25-8-7 record. He had a save percentage of 2.33 and a goals-against-average of .919. He has always played well in the final year of a contract so poolies should be a bit wary of selecting him too high in drafts next season.

Source: TSN.ca

answers the hawks goaltending situation.. it will be huet with crawford most likely backing him up

Huet is fine when he is playing for money... always has been. It's when he is playing under a secure contract that makes me worry...

can't blame havlat for being a little upset with blackhawks management on this one...it looked as though they had a deal in place to retain him and all of a sudden detroit denys hossa's contract demands and the hawks sneak in to get hossa...hope havlat the best of luck in staying out of injuries, the only thing that stops him from being a great player

injury?

makes no sense if not

Didn't appear to be injured...maybe lingering effects from his lower body injury from the regular season but he was still playing at a high level. I remember many times where he was making plays but had nobody to skate with him when normally Towes or Kane would be there to pass to.

can't blame havlat for being a little upset with blackhawks management on this one...it looked as though they had a deal in place to retain him and all of a sudden detroit denys hossa's contract demands and the hawks sneak in to get hossa...hope havlat the best of luck in staying out of injuries, the only thing that stops him from being a great player

Yeah, I don't blame him for being upset but Hawks front office made the right decision by going after Hossa and letting Havlat walk away. I haven't heard any harsh words or anything that might have been exchanged but I'd imagine he is just sour because they went after Hossa and just left him out to dry. I wish him the best in Minny/

Huet is fine when he is playing for money... always has been. It's when he is playing under a secure contract that makes me worry...

Huet is inconsistent to say the least but not much skips through his pads, its just everything high that just finds a way through on his bad nights. He can surely play goalie though as he showed in the last game of the series versus the Wings. He stood on his head that whole game and he was much like that all season long. He needs to work on playing the puck out of harms way to help his defense and his glove and stick work. Hopefully, he takes that next step next year.

Crawford is there but Hawks also signed Niemi but I don't know much about either player.

Damn, Kane, Toews, Hossa up front? Loaded.

I'd like to see Hossa with Towes and Byfuglien and then Kane with Sharp and Versteeg on a different line. Then you replace Havlat with Bouwer or Burish on your checking line with Bolland and Ladd. Then you have 2 really skilled lines w/ Byfuglien in there to move bodies around for Hossa and Towes. This would leave Towes to move around and create instead of being stuck in front of the net all the time too.

Archived