NBC Sports Edge Forums

Big Brother/Big Sister programs

Br0kenB

i'm thinking about becoming a ''big brother'' with big brothers big sisters program of erie county. i have no job this summer and it's a once a week commitment for about two hours each time. does anyone have experience with this kind of stuff? i need to know the age requirement and any experience any of you may have. i'd just take the kid to eat and play sports and s--- like that, maybe to the gym, not really sure if it's the right thing for me to do though. anyone got stories?

I've never been a Big Brother, but if you're even thinking about it, you should understand that the kids and their families probably didn't sign up for the program because they just want someone to hang out with for a couple hours a week. They're likely looking for a role model, and in most cases have been willing to sit on a lengthy waiting list to get one.

I've talked to a lot of people who have been involved with the program who have had both positive and negative experiences. Many of those who have had positive will tell you that the guys didn't just go by the minimums, they often see the kids more than that, and have become mentors and - in line with the name of the program - parts of the family.

I would certainly encourage people to do it....as I alluded, there's always a shortage of guys to pair with kids, and it can be a very rewarding experience.

Archived