NBC Sports Edge Forums

Okafor to New Orleans

Br0kenB

How does this make them beat out the Spurs? I mean Okafor is an upgrade over Chandler but this team doesn't have the weapons to deal with the Spurs.

no F'ing way. wow!

this would be fantastic for the Hornets. they've been struggling without a solid inside presence(Chandler being injured).

Okafor is not a huge scorer, and David West is not a huge rebounder or shot-blocker, so this would be perfect for the both of them.

i love it.

it makes the Hornets a strong team again.

but they still need a better SG. would it be out of the question for them to get Iverson?

Big boost for Okafor fantasy wise, Chandler now goes undrafted??

Watching NO games last year CP3 would spoon feed Chandler a couple of baskets each game, if he does this for Okafor he has potential to be a 18/10 guy, maybe even upwards of 20/10?? I see his FG% going up as well, maybe to be tops in the league at around 60%.

Either way it is a great trade for NO, he is small for a C but is a great compliment to West's mid-range game.

I guess it's good for the bobcats because they want to shed salary... too bad for them.

How does this make them beat out the Spurs? I mean Okafor is an upgrade over Chandler but this team doesn't have the weapons to deal with the Spurs.

well, i think the match up of Okafor© and David West(PF) VS McDyess© and Duncan(PF) is in favor of the Hornets.

McDyess and Duncan are old motherFers.

and CP3 gets the nod over Tony Parker at Point Guard.

the problem for the Hornets is at SG and SF where the Spurs have Manu and Richard Jefferson VS injury-plagued Peja? and whoever the hell else?

Spurs are gonna be tough as hell this year. It's the return of the Lakers VS Spurs rivalry. god damn it, i hate the Spurs!

I generally like Okafor. However those numbers seem a tad bit aggressive to me. I see 16.5ppg-10rpg-2 blocks-57% fgs. It would be nice if he could fix that god awful ft%. His ft% is particularly concerning at sub 60% and nearly 5 attempts per game.

Watching NO games last year CP3 would spoon feed Chandler a couple of baskets each game, if he does this for Okafor he has potential to be a 18/10 guy, maybe even upwards of 20/10?? I see his FG% going up as well, maybe to be tops in the league at around 60%.

It would seem that Wallace and Diaw will be relied upon to score a bit more this season with offensively challenged Tyson now in the fray. I personally think that Wallace could be in for a career year if he can avoid the injury bug...

Chandler is a better defender than Okafor.

How so?

He is a worse shot blocker and grabs about a rebound and a half less on the defensive glass.

Edit - he is also much more foul prone and averages .375 blocks/foul while Emeka averages .57 blocks/foul.

Not sure i buy this. I think that they are pretty comparable actually, though chandler is a bit better defending screen and roll......

Chandler is a better defender than Okafor.
How so?

He is a worse shot blocker and grabs about a rebound and a half less on the defensive glass.

Edit - he is also much more foul prone and averages .375 blocks/foul while Emeka averages .57 blocks/foul.

Shot blocking is a pretty minor part of defensive ability. All in all, career-wise they are pretty similar in both rebounding and shotblocking, if you look at the percentages and not just per-game numbers.

Advanced metrics show that Chandler is much better at stymieing his counterpart (opposing centers had a much lower efficiency against Chandler; opposing centers were just incrementally worse against Okafor). Also, Chandler was much better in adjusted plus/minus than Okafor.

Okafor is obviously the better offensive player; Chandler pretty much has one offensive move (alley-oop dunk from Paul), but generally speaking Chandler is the better defender.

Shot blocking is a pretty minor part of defensive ability. All in all, career-wise they are pretty similar in both rebounding and shotblocking, if you look at the percentages and not just per-game numbers.

Advanced metrics show that Chandler is much better at stymieing his counterpart (opposing centers had a much lower efficiency against Chandler; opposing centers were just incrementally worse against Okafor). Also, Chandler was much better in adjusted plus/minus than Okafor.

Okafor is obviously the better offensive player; Chandler pretty much has one offensive move (alley-oop dunk from Paul), but generally speaking Chandler is the better defender.

I could've sworn Chandler was the better offensive player and Okafor's offense was stagnant, then Okafor was better at clogging the lane and Chandler's D was more lax...

Yeah I checked some of the opposing stats and it is pretty obvious that chandler is the better man-to-man defender. I am not sure what stats would tell you who is a better help side defender??

Chandler holds his opposition to 46% shooting and a 14.6 PER.

Okafor holds his opposition to 50% shooting and a 18 PER.

The difference is not huge but it is still apparent.

It would seem that Wallace and Diaw will be relied upon to score a bit more this season with offensively challenged Tyson now in the fray. I personally think that Wallace could be in for a career year if he can avoid the injury bug...

I reckon you're on the money. GW was solid last year and if he gets it all together, his numbers could go through the roof. Who knows what will happen with Diaw though. His style doesn't really suggest he'll be able to pick up what Okafor left, even if Chandler gets injured.

Didnt he play the center position when Amare was out that year and totally flourish? I guess that was in another rigged system, not likely to be duplicated under darth sidious aka Larry Brown..

If Brown does commit to using Chandler at the 4, what happens to Diaw? He plays the 5? Bench? Fantasy value takes a nose dive (again)?
Didnt he play the center position when Amare was out that year and totally flourish? I guess that was in another rigged system, not likely to be duplicated under darth sidious aka Larry Brown..

Yeah thats right, in 2005/06. All he did was run up and down the floor all day chasing Raja and Nash but it made his numbers look pretty solid. Surely he is too undersized to play a true centre in the East against Shaq, Howard and Perk. I don't understand why Chandler would play at the 4 when they have very little depth in big men. Then again, no one really understands Brown

Archived