NBC Sports Edge Forums

Marques Colston 2009

Br0kenB

Ended last season on a tear, anyone liking him as much this year as they did last year? He finished 2008 on a tear. I love him as a WR2 at the beginning of Round 3. He has WR1 upside. Why is nobody talking about Colston?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It all depends on the condition of his knee. From injury expert Will Carroll's 8/19 report:

Marques Colston: It's clear that some people just don't understand microfracture, or perhaps they just don't understand football. Marques Colston had microfracture surgery, which is a procedure done arthroscopically, but calling it "minor surgery" is just ... well, it's not correct. (Brett Favre's tendon severing? Also not minor.) Colston is back at practice and running, but no one who has seen him says he looks 100 percent. There's still some pain and swelling, with that latter part being the bigger issue right now. The Saints play the majority of their games on turf and that could be hard on Colston's knee. One of the worries a doctor warned me of is that knees can act a bit like sprained ankles: "They're fine when you stay on them, but swell rapidly if you get off." We've seen that often in basketball, but it looks like Colston's going to need a bike on the sidelines and, more importantly, in the locker room. If there was a way to sub in for a guy at halftime in fantasy, this would be the place.

And this is exactly why I think Moore has tremendous value this year. With Colston out last year, he stepped up in a big way for Brees.

Can be had in the later rounds as well...believe he was taken in the 8th round of my 14 teamer.

Colston's size and speed make him a rare talent but he's been banged up lately.

Colston definitely seems like the classic risk-reward guy. He has been banged up alot already in his young career. When he is 100% healthy, there is no doubt he will put up top tier WR numbers. I think every team can afford a few risk-reward guys. In my case, I have Westbrook as he fell late into the 2nd round, and also Schaub.

And this is exactly why I think Moore has tremendous value this year. With Colston out last year, he stepped up in a big way for Brees.

Can be had in the later rounds as well...believe he was taken in the 8th round of my 14 teamer.

Colston's size and speed make him a rare talent but he's been banged up lately.

honestly, meachem at the end of the draft is the bargain i'll be targetting...

btw, speed is not one of colston's strengths...

That's what I did. A handcuff for Colston so of speak. Having watched the last two Saints preseason games, I feel like Meachem could put up solid numbers if either Colston or Moore went down. It was just preseason, so he might not pan out at all, but given the high powered offense and the injury history of their receivers, I'm willing to give him a roster spot.

I specifically meant the size/speed combo. A guy of his size that can move is a strength...

40 time was high at the combine but registered fastest 10 yard dash and has great acceleration.

I was extremely high on him. And basically everything I've read today on these forums has had me really upset that I took him over Boldin.

Here's to hoping?

I don't think I would feel upset about that at all.

Oh man, you read some other people's opinion that are just arm chair QB's and you already want to get rid of Colston? I am as HIGH on Colston as you can get. The guy hurt his thumb last year. That's it. He was on a tear last year at the end. I predict he is a top 5 WR this year with Brees. He is already tearing up the preaseason and is getting the majority of the looks from Brees. I think he is a steal in the 3rd round and will prove to be a steal in the 2nd. HIGH on Colston, I AM.

I was extremely high on him. And basically everything I've read today on these forums has had me really upset that I took him over Boldin.

Here's to hoping?

Oh man, you read some other people's opinion that are just arm chair QB's and you already want to get rid of Colston? I am as HIGH on Colston as you can get. The guy hurt his thumb last year. That's it. He was on a tear last year at the end. I predict he is a top 5 WR this year with Brees. He is already tearing up the preaseason and is getting the majority of the looks from Brees. I think he is a steal in the 3rd round and will prove to be a steal in the 2nd. HIGH on Colston, I AM.

The guy didn't just hurt his thumb last year. He had microfracture knee surgery.

The guy didn't just hurt his thumb last year. He had microfracture knee surgery.

the thumb injury kept him out of several games early in the season... the microfracture surgery happened in the offseason and was kept on the down low until OTAs started

Like I said, I was high on him, but it wasn't just everyone's opinion.

This one....

Marques Colston: It's clear that some people just don't understand microfracture, or perhaps they just don't understand football. Marques Colston had microfracture surgery, which is a procedure done arthroscopically, but calling it "minor surgery" is just ... well, it's not correct. (Brett Favre's tendon severing? Also not minor.) Colston is back at practice and running, but no one who has seen him says he looks 100 percent. There's still some pain and swelling, with that latter part being the bigger issue right now. The Saints play the majority of their games on turf and that could be hard on Colston's knee. One of the worries a doctor warned me of is that knees can act a bit like sprained ankles: "They're fine when you stay on them, but swell rapidly if you get off." We've seen that often in basketball, but it looks like Colston's going to need a bike on the sidelines and, more importantly, in the locker room. If there was a way to sub in for a guy at halftime in fantasy, this would be the place.

....however, does scare me.

the thumb injury kept him out of several games early in the season... the microfracture surgery happened in the offseason and was kept on the down low until OTAs started

It doesn't matter when it was. It is not a positive thing.

To say Marques Colston is recovering from the dreaded Microfracture surgery is a little misleading. Microfracture surgery has different categories. Colston’s surgery was not the most widely known microfracture procedure that ended the careers of Marshall Faulk and Terrell Davis where the articular surface is so worn down that the two main bones of the knee are basically rubbing together without much cushion causing pain. Colston underwent a microfracture surgical procedure on his left knee in January to repair a small hole he had worn behind his kneecap. The knee cap does not take the pounding that the joint itself takes. Thus, this type of microfracture is easier to recover from.

Where is this guy going in drafts, I think he is going to be a steal.

Getting Colston in the 4th round would be a steal. He would be a 2nd round pick if he could stay healthy

The talent is obviously there. I think it's more the fact Brees really spreads it around in that offense.

This was my point earlier too. You look at guys drafted near Colston like Bowe/Roddy and I take these two before him because they are the only mouths to feed. Granted the Saints will throw more, but there's so many weopans and Brees is good enough that if a team doubles Colston, he will go elsewhere. This happened frequently early in the season last year....

There is definately a flip side to that and that is why I have him slotted at a top 4 WR: Brees does have lots of weapons, Colston therefore is not going to get double teamed like Bowe and Roddy will. I really feel Colston will kill it this year.

This was my point earlier too. You look at guys drafted near Colston like Bowe/Roddy and I take these two before him because they are the only mouths to feed. Granted the Saints will throw more, but there's so many weopans and Brees is good enough that if a team doubles Colston, he will go elsewhere. This happened frequently early in the season last year....

Brees is still going to find targets no matter the defense thrown at them. It's a pass heavy team with a lot of weapons. Colston will get his, but you would think a #1 WR on the best offense in the NFL would project higher, which says more about Brees than Colston.

Archived