NBC Sports Edge Forums

Marques Colston 2009

Br0kenB

There is definately a flip side to that and that is why I have him slotted at a top 4 WR: Brees does have lots of weapons, Colston therefore is not going to get double teamed like Bowe and Roddy will. I really feel Colston will kill it this year.

While I agree somewhat, Brees's big weopans are pass catching RBs like Bush and Pierre. Not too many defenses are going to double Lance Moore or Devery Henderson or J Shock on their routes....they will shade Colston before they do that. But, I do like Colston...I just think you take Roddy White and D Bowe before him.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Getting Colston in the 4th round would be a steal. He would be a 2nd round pick if he could stay healthy

This is exactly the problem I have with Colston. I group Colston and Boldin together as great WR1 talents who can't seem to put together a full season. They almost always post WR1 numbers when they're on the field, but thanks to their physical style of play, they always manage to either miss or play wounded for a few games. If I could get either as a WR2, I would be elated. If I had to rely on them as my WR1, I would be a bit concerned.

While I agree somewhat, Brees's big weopans are pass catching RBs like Bush and Pierre. Not too many defenses are going to double Lance Moore or Devery Henderson or J Shock on their routes....they will shade Colston before they do that. But, I do like Colston...I just think you take Roddy White and D Bowe before him.

disagree....

i wouldnt have a problem with someone taking Roddy over Colsten....but i wouldnt do it. And Bowe over Colsten!? seriously? I think Cassell is gonna get exposed badly in KC this year. Good luck with that

disagree....

i wouldnt have a problem with someone taking Roddy over Colsten....but i wouldnt do it. And Bowe over Colsten!? seriously? I think Cassell is gonna get exposed badly in KC this year. Good luck with that

bowe will likely lead the league in targets this season since he was already among the league leaders last season and gonzo is now gone (colston will see 3/4 of total targets bowe will see if he's lucky).... something to chew on...

bowe will likely lead the league in targets this season since he was already among the league leaders last season and gonzo is now gone (colston will see 3/4 of total targets bowe will see if he's lucky).... something to chew on...

yea....hes gotta work on those hands tho before i will ever draft him over Colston....and yes Gonzo is gone, but IMO that is a negative for Bowe. He will get shadowed and doubled EVERY WEEK.

Targets are a nice stat to draft by...but its meaningless if he cant turn those targets into receptions

yea....hes gotta work on those hands tho before i will ever draft him over Colston....and yes Gonzo is gone, but IMO that is a negative for Bowe. He will get shadowed and doubled EVERY WEEK.

Targets are a nice stat to draft by...but its meaningless if he cant turn those targets into receptions

top 5 WRs with the most targets in 08:

marshall

aj

bowe

fitz

calvin

i'll let that speak for itself

This is exactly the problem I have with Colston. I group Colston and Boldin together as great WR1 talents who can't seem to put together a full season. They almost always post WR1 numbers when they're on the field, but thanks to their physical style of play, they always manage to either miss or play wounded for a few games. If I could get either as a WR2, I would be elated. If I had to rely on them as my WR1, I would be a bit concerned.

You should have a WR1 by the third round. WR/RB or WR/QB if you take Brees or Brady

disagree....

He might get exposed, but if your a good enough receiver, it doesn't matter who is throwing to you. Just look at Calvin last year. Bowe will have a better year than Colston, and I don't think its as close as your making it seem.

He might get exposed, but if your a good enough receiver, it doesn't matter who is throwing to you. Just look at Calvin last year. Bowe will have a better year than Colston, and I don't think its as close as your making it seem.

your comparing Calvin Johnson to Bowe? Megatron is a 6-5 freak of nature, physically speaking Bowe is "average" for a WR. Not to mention he doesnt have the greatest hands or separation speed. Yea he is a fine WR, but drafting him over Colston who is in an offense such as NO, with Brees as his QB? I would take the risk of injury and take Colston over Bowe any day...

fyi, bowe converted on 55% of his targets last season... colston converted on 53%...

bowe is probably gonna get atleast 170 targets. he's not catching less than 80passes, and ill give him a projection for 92. we've gotten off topic tho. i like colston, he seems like a flashy high upside pick, but indeed his career is half crappy half great. a already slow and never fully healthy guy, now even more slowed and injury prone comin off microfracture surgery, unless he's there in my 4th round pick, im gonna have to pass on him. early picks normally can lose u a league more than win u won, and he seems like a definite risk (albeit high risk high reward)

• 1 month later...

Are you guys really sitting Colston? Who are you playing instead? I would consider it if it weren't for the fact that DJax has a bye week. I am definitely not starting Antonio Bryant over Colston...

Are you guys really sitting Colston? Who are you playing instead? I would consider it if it weren't for the fact that DJax has a bye week. I am definitely not starting Antonio Bryant over Colston...

In my start 3 WR league, I was actually considering it DEPENDING on the status of Welker... My initial thought was assuming Welker plays, I'd roll w/ him vs Balt, S Smith (NYG) @ KC & Mason @ NE.... But, I'm guessing it's all academic because I have a bad feeling about Welker's knee. With that said, IF Welker is active, I'll be rolling the dice w/ him & Colston w/ my anchor being S Smith. I say "rolling the dice" w/ regards to both Colston & Welker because Colston up against a tough defensive matchup whether Revis stays on him or not & Welker after missing 2 games w/ what appears to be a nagging knee injury...doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

Well it depends. I mean I'm throwing out Jennings, Sims-Walker and Nate Washington instead of Colston. Also, I'm a Jets fan so I know what Revis is capable of. It just makes it easier for any cross rooting, so I'll just sit Colston. Not worth all the hassle.

Kanter, I'm curious if you think they will float a Safety over the top of Colston most of the game to help Revis? Or do you think they will stick with man coverage due to the fact there are so many receiving option available to the Saints? Even though Revis has been pretty stingy I have to take my chances with Colston being the stud that he is will get open or at least some chances to make plays.

Kanter, I'm curious if you think they will float a Safety over the top of Colston most of the game to help Revis? Or do you think they will stick with man coverage due to the fact there are so many receiving option available to the Saints? Even though Revis has been pretty stingy I have to take my chances with Colston being the stud that he is will get open or at least some chances to make plays.

I wish I knew what their gameplan was. I've read that it's not just going to be reckless abandon blitzing and more so strategic blitzing so I don't even know how that's going to work.

I'm guesing some shadowing of the safety but I think there are so many other options they might just throw Revis on Colston single coverage.

Well it depends. I mean I'm throwing out Jennings, Sims-Walker and Nate Washington instead of Colston. Also, I'm a Jets fan so I know what Revis is capable of. It just makes it easier for any cross rooting, so I'll just sit Colston. Not worth all the hassle.

B)

revis is great, but NO has a lot of players to defend, moreso than any team they've faced thus far (especially considering walters and welker were out wks 1 and 2)... the jets won't be able to focus on stopping any 1 option... furthermore, colston isn't NO's deep threat so revis may not even be guarding colston the entire game (colston will likely be moved along the formation all day)...

with that said, i can see why owners would be somewhat hesitant to start colston vs NYJ but sitting him in favor of sims-walker or washington is an over-rationalized/paranoid move imho...

The key for the Jets is getting back a healthy Sheppard and Strickland. If Nick Lowery starts, that secondary is in trouble.

Yes, you can put Revis on Colston but then what?

Lowery on Henderson is a disaster waiting to happen. That will almost guarantee that a safety must roll that way to help out. The Saints have a lot of weapons and that Jets' secondary is hurting. They're going to have to pressure with 4 or 5 guys and if Brees has time, he'll work his magic. Brees inside that dome is pure gold.

I believe the Bills started out defending the Saints in a nickel package. Only then did Payton start feeding the ball to PT and he made them pay. Brees didn't pass for one TD and they still scored 27 points...pretty amazing.

The Saints are their own verison of the 2007 Pats...will be interesting to watch, Rex and that defense have a big task on their hands.

If it becomes a shootout, gotta lean towards the Saints. Sanchez doesn't really have one premier WR to throw too and the running game has been underwhelming thus far.

Archived