NBC Sports Edge Forums

Marques Colston 2009

Br0kenB

I just have no understanding of this guy. Sat him for Brandon Marshall this week, because he was going against Webster and the Giants defense, causing me to lose. And Colston goes off. I sat him week 2 because he only had 3 targets the first week and they were facing the Eagles. Started him against the Bills. Started him against the Lions. Got nothing special.

I just feel so lost.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Uhh, I don't know about you, but Colston is on my never sit list...

Yeah, I think he's on mine too now. Brandon Marshall be damned. People were sitting him based on matchups as recently as week 4, though.

I just have no understanding of this guy. Sat him for Brandon Marshall this week, because he was going against Webster and the Giants defense, causing me to lose. And Colston goes off. I sat him week 2 because he only had 3 targets the first week and they were facing the Eagles. Started him against the Bills. Started him against the Lions. Got nothing special.

I just feel so lost.

stop sitting colston.

i think it's important to note that colston only has 35 total targets in 5 games so far this season, opposed to guys like fitz and wayne, who have 50 and 48 targets repectively in the same number of games... this past week, colston caught all 8 of his targets, 8 tying his season high from week 2... he'll continue putting great numbers if can keep up the 71% catch rate but that's highly unlikely...

i would label him as a borderline must-start due to his potential to put up huge numbers in that offense, but he's still succeptible to putting up the below average stinker from time to time due to the relatively low number of targets he's seeing... and it can't help colston that moore is healthy and catching brees' eye again...

i think it's important to note that colston only has 35 total targets in 5 games so far this season, opposed to guys like fitz and wayne, who have 50 and 48 targets repectively in the same number of games... this past week, colston caught all 8 of his targets, 8 tying his season high from week 2... he'll continue putting great numbers if can keep up the 71% catch rate but that's highly unlikely...

i would label him as a borderline must-start due to his potential to put up huge numbers in that offense, but he's still succeptible to putting up the below average stinker from time to time due to the relatively low number of targets he's seeing... and it can't help colston that moore is healthy and catching brees' eye again...

all WRs are succeptable to putting up a bad game, no matter the WR, and not just due to targets. Moss, Wayne, Andre; top players have had stinkers.

the players with more targets than colston but less fantasy points is extensive.

he is the 11th highest scoring WR in my PPR league.

he is a must start.

all WRs are succeptable to putting up a bad game, no matter the WR, and not just due to targets. Moss, Wayne, Andre; top players have had stinkers.

the players with more targets than colston but less fantasy points is extensive.

he is the 11th highest scoring WR in my PPR league.

he is a must start.

agreed, but colston is more susceptible to putting up a bad game in relation to other elite WRs, because he gets targetted the least out of all the WRs mentioned in your post (not to mention most WR1s in general)... it's not a coincidence that a bad game by an elite WR is usually accompanied by a low target number for that game...

agreed, but colston is more susceptible to putting up a bad game in relation to other elite WRs, because he gets targetted the least out of all the WRs mentioned in your post (not to mention most WR1s in general)... it's not a coincidence that a bad game by an elite WR is usually accompanied by a low target number for that game...

sure, opportunity matters. but he STILL isnt benchable, if healthy.

• 3 weeks later...

colston is still not seeing many targets/gm, but he's catching an astounding 67.9% of his targets to date (to put it into perspective, he has 53 targets in 7 games while andre johnson had 70 in the same number of games)... i didn't think he would continue producing at an elite level all season because of the low target numbers and the fact that he only caught 52.6% of his targets last year, but he's clearly proving me wrong so far...

this is a testament to the evolution of NO's offense as well as the super efficiency of brees as a passer... shockey is converting on 76.5% of his targets!!!

colston is still not seeing many targets/gm, but he's catching an astounding 67.9% of his targets to date (to put it into perspective, he has 53 targets in 7 games while andre johnson had 70 in the same number of games)... i didn't think he would continue producing at an elite level all season because of the low target numbers and the fact that he only caught 52.6% of his targets last year, but he's clearly proving me wrong so far...

this is a testament to the evolution of NO's offense as well as the super efficiency of brees as a passer... shockey is converting on 76.5% of his targets!!!

per game, it is 7.5 to colston and 10 to AJ.

in a weekly h2h format, i think looking at each game as a separate instance for this statistic is better. however, if it were a yearly roto, then the cumulative would matter more.

so is 2.5 more targets per game that much more? i don't think so. but over a 16 game season, that certainly adds up. but what week to week, its not that big of a difference.

especially, as you said, if he is in the zone catching everything that comes his way, posterizing dudes like shaq of old.

in a weekly h2h format, i think looking at each game as a separate instance for this statistic is better. however, if it were a yearly roto, then the cumulative would matter more.

so is 2.5 more targets per game that much more? i don't think so. but over a 16 game season, that certainly adds up. but what week to week, its not that big of a difference.

especially, as you said, if he is in the zone catching everything that comes his way, posterizing dudes like shaq of old.

Plus, he is second in the league for WR in Red Zone targets with 11. Behind only Fitz who has only converted to 3 TD's while Colston has converted his to 5 TD's.

if you wanna get specific, below are the targets for colston and johnson (and owen daniels for reference) their first 7 games (johnson saw 10 targets in his 8th game)"

6, 8, 7, 6, 8, 12, 6

7, 16, 7, 8, 14, 14, 4, (10)

8, 8, 7, 5, 10, 9, 9, (2) - daniels targets' per game for reference

the difference is much more significant than you care to accept... and remember, johnson was limited last week (wk 7) with a chest injury where he only saw 4 targets... colston is clearly playing great, but, let's face it, he's not seeing a large amount of targets this season for an elite/top-tier WR (whether we're talking about total or per game targets)...

if you wanna get specific, below are the targets for colston and johnson (and owen daniels for reference) their first 7 games (johnson saw 10 targets in his 8th game)"

6, 8, 7, 6, 8, 12, 6

7, 16, 7, 8, 14, 14, 4, (10)

8, 8, 7, 5, 10, 9, 9, (2) - daniels targets' per game for reference

the difference is much more significant than you care to accept... and remember, johnson was limited last week (wk 7) with a chest injury where he only saw 4 targets... colston is clearly playing great, but, let's face it, he's not seeing a large amount of targets this season for an elite/top-tier WR (whether we're talking about total or per game targets)...

more than i care to accept?

thank you for the stats, you prove my point.

there were only two games in which AJ has significantly more targets.

and, as i said earlier, the difference in season totals aren't as big as you seem to care to accept.

if colston were to get +2 more targets per game, which isn't many when you look on the per-game level, it adds up to 14 more over 7 games. that would put colston at 5th overall in targets.

not. that. significant.

more than i care to accept?

thank you for the stats, you prove my point.

there were only two games in which AJ has significantly more targets.

and, as i said earlier, the difference in season totals aren't as big as you seem to care to accept.

if colston were to get +2 more targets per game, which isn't many when you look on the per-game level, it adds up to 14 more over 7 games. that would put colston at 5th overall in targets.

not. that. significant.

so not only are you looking at targets per game to bolster your argument, but you're also comparing colston and johnson's targets on a per week basis?

using your logic, none of the players listed below are hurting for targets, because if any of them saw 2+ more targets a game, which isn't many when you look on a per-game level, they would basically be on par with colston's target total...

Ted Ginn, 41

Maurice Jones-Drew, 41

Muhsin Muhammad, 41

Michael Jenkins, 40

Jeremy Shockey, 40

Calvin Johnson, 40 (in basically 4 games due to injury)

Steve Breaston, 40

Patrick Crayton, 39

Todd Heap, 38

Davone Bess, 38

Steven Jackson, 38

Bobby Wade, 38

pretty impressive list... furthermore, here is a list of receivers within range of colston's target total:

Santonio Holmes, 56

Antonio Gates, 56

Vernon Davis, 55

Hines Ward, 54

Torry Holt, 53

Sidney Rice, 53

Marques Colston, 53

Tony Gonzalez, 53

Mario Manningham, 52

Kellen Winslow, 51

most of these guys aren't top passing options on their respective teams, much less elite/top-tier WR1s, but their target numbers are basically on par with andre johnson and the elite on a per game basis right?

so not only are you looking at targets per game to bolster your argument, but you're also comparing colston and johnson's targets on a per week basis?

redundant, and yes. per game (per week) is more apt. we are not playing roto here. so cumulative stats do not bear as much weight.

using your logic, none of the players listed below are hurting for targets, because if any of them saw 2+ more targets a game, which isn't many when you look on a per-game level, they would basically be on par with colston's target total...

Ted Ginn, 41

Maurice Jones-Drew, 41

Muhsin Muhammad, 41

Michael Jenkins, 40

Jeremy Shockey, 40

Calvin Johnson, 40 (in basically 4 games due to injury)

Steve Breaston, 40

Patrick Crayton, 39

Todd Heap, 38

Davone Bess, 38

Steven Jackson, 38

Bobby Wade, 38

pretty impressive list... furthermore, here is a list of receivers within range of colston's target total:

Santonio Holmes, 56

Antonio Gates, 56

Vernon Davis, 55

Hines Ward, 54

Torry Holt, 53

Sidney Rice, 53

Marques Colston, 53

Tony Gonzalez, 53

Mario Manningham, 52

Kellen Winslow, 51

most of these guys aren't top passing options on their respective teams, much less elite/top-tier WR1s, but their target numbers are basically on par with andre johnson and the elite on a per game basis right?

so now you are comparing those guys to AJ? i was making the argument for Colston.

Archived