NBC Sports Edge Forums

MLB Extra Innings

ssmarsh

Not sure if this is the proper place to put this, but I see that today MLB announced their deal with Directv. It appears that there's a way cable companies could still offer MLBEI if they agree to broadcast the MLB channel. I'm pretty bummed about this as I love the MLB package, as a baseball fan first and roto whore second, and if TIme Warner (my cable company) doesn't choose to pick it up, I'm not switching to the dish just to get it and I won't watch a baseball game on the computer. Anyway, here's an article on it: MLB EXTRA INNINGS

What do others think about this?

"I won't watch a baseball game on the computer"

Most all video cards/computers from the last 2-3 years come with a TV-out, usually S-Video. No need to watch the games on the computer just send it to the tv. The cable will cost you 5 bucks.

In general tho, yeah, what they are doing is a slap in the face to the fans.

I am thinking about hooking my computer up to my TV to watch the mlb.com package. If I hook up through the s-video out on computer to s-video in on the TV, how do I carry the audio to the TV? I do not see an audio out near the s-video out, and it is my understanding the s-video cable will only carry video (am I wrong?). Thanks for the help.

Also, for anyone who has used the mlb.com TV package on their TV, are you able to switch games easily on your computer so that they also switch on the TV? Or, does your computer screen go black and you are unable to switch the game you are running to the TV?

Your computer has sound, but it could possibly be connected to pretty bad speakers or too far from the tv to make sense. My PC is always hooked into my stereo system. That's even easier than hooking the computer up to the tv as long as your stereo has an input(it will unless it's quite cheap.) The TV has a sound input too most likely if you would prefer using that.

You would have to use your computer to change what game you are watching. Whatever would be on your computer screen will be on your tv. You can use this connection to watch downloaded movies/tv shows on your tv or play computer games, even general computing/web browsing if your tv is HD. Switching between the computer and regular tv will be the same as between the tv and a dvd player

Anybody get MLB.tv last year? How is it? I'm thinking of purchasing it.

The Mosaic seems cool. You can enter in a list of players and it'll switch to a particular game when those guys are up. Pretty sweet.

I am thinking about hooking my computer up to my TV to watch the mlb.com package. If I hook up through the s-video out on computer to s-video in on the TV, how do I carry the audio to the TV? I do not see an audio out near the s-video out, and it is my understanding the s-video cable will only carry video (am I wrong?). Thanks for the help.

You are correct.

You can either look for a cable that combines S-Video and Composite Audio (I know Target sells a GE branded "All-in-One" Cable.

Also, SVideo.com offers a cable that combines S-Video Out with a standard Stero Audio out that then goes into the usual composite input jacks on a TV.

They offer the cables in several different sizes.

I've ordered a cable from them myself for MLB.tv this year, but I don't have it yet, so I can't comment on the quality.

SVideo.com Cable

• Root Admin

The deal on the surface for fantasy baseball fans and MLB fans in general is it stinks. Simply put less people should be able to access baseball games in the manner or medium in which they want access.

Yes MLB.tv is an alternative but the quality simply isn't as good as regular tv - nevermind the HD games...Maybe it will get that way in time.

I understand from a short-term business perspective why this works for MLBAM, but obviously it hurts the fan/customer...

Anybody get MLB.tv last year? How is it? I'm thinking of purchasing it.

The Mosaic seems cool. You can enter in a list of players and it'll switch to a particular game when those guys are up. Pretty sweet.

This will be the third year I will have mlb.tv and swear by it. I travel quite a bit, so the best part is that you can take your computer with you and watch whatever game you want. Last year they gave Mosaic for free and I did not care for it. The feeds seemed to lock up at times and would freeze my system. Plus when watching the six games at once, the screens were too small to see anything. However, they claim to have improved and the picture quality will be better. I am not sure which one I will be getting this year. They did not offer the list of players feature last season.

i dont know if this article is news to anyone, but here it is:

http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/161534/m...aunches-channel

it seems to be fresh off the press...i noticed it is dated 09/03/2007.....since when did we start putting the day before the month??

<H1 class=title>MLB EXTENDS TV DEAL AND LAUNCHES CHANNEL</H1>Fri, 09/03/2007 - 09:35

Media | United States | Baseball | Broadcast | TV Rights

Major League Baseball agreed a TV rights deal that includes the launch of a new dedicated MLB Channel as well as carriage rights for the MLB EXTRA INNINGS package.

The seven-year agreement includes the launch of the MLB Channel as part of DIRECTV’s basic package. DIRECTV will be a minority partner in the MLB Channel, and will work with MLB to develop the network, which will launch in 2009.

Additionally, in keeping with MLB’s desire to provide as much MLB programming to as many baseball fans as possible, MLB and DIRECTV have agreed to include a provision that allows MLB EXTRA INNINGS to be offered to other incumbents – In Demand and DISH Network – at consistent rates and carriage requirements with a deal to be concluded before the baseball season begins.

“With the advent of The MLB Channel, our new agreement with DIRECTV will result in more MLB programming being available to more fans than ever before,” said Major League Baseball President Bob DuPuy. “The deal complements our deals with FOX, Turner and ESPN for network game coverage and furthers MLB’s initiative to continue to enhance fans’ viewing experience and reinvigorate our telecasts with unique and innovative features.”

The MLB Channel will launch in 2009 on DIRECTV, ensuring that the Channel is immediately available as part of DIRECTV’s basic service and will be available to more than 15 million homes.

Has anyone seen any update regarding any of the cable companies taking MLB up on their "offer" to carry Extra Innings? I haven't seen anything since the deal was announced.

I was at the Comcast office on Friday and they said Sorry done deal We don't have any baseball.I won't watch on the computer. Now I am forced to watch the Red Sox, Mets or Braves. I'm in a AL only. Oh Well better than nothing I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

So the latest has InDirect saying they'll match Directv's offer (YAY) only to have MLB reject it, saying their proposal didn't match the offer (BOO). Sen Kerry is having a hearing on the issue on the 27th so there is still hope. Anyone seen any updates today?

There's still a slim hope for those of us without DTV:

Kerry says 60 million could lose access to TV package March 26, 2007

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- Sixty million consumers would lose access to baseball's television package of out-of-market games if the sport is allowed to strike an exclusive deal with DirecTV, according to Sen. John Kerry.

A day ahead of a Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee hearing, the Massachusetts Democrat said the deal probably was legal but might not be good for fans.

"When you've got 75 million people who currently have the option of doing something and you reduce it to 15 million, you've got to ask are the terms of this deal fair and does it work for the fan and for the sport itself?" he said during a conference call Monday.

Under a $700 million, seven-year agreement announced March 8, baseball's Extra Innings package would move exclusively to DirecTV starting this season, and the sport's new television network would go to DirecTV starting in 2009.

IN Demand, owned by affiliates of the companies that own Time Warner, Comcast and Cox cable systems, and EchoStar's Dish Network have until this weekend to match the offer. When IN Demand announced last week that it was matching, baseball immediately rejected the proposal, saying it wanted its new channel to be available to the same percentage of homes on cable as on DirecTV rather than the same amount of homes.

DirecTV says only about 5,000 customers who currently receive the package won't have the ability to get it on television, and baseball says those consumers can buy the games on MLB.com.

"Our hope is that iN Demand and Dish opt in and that all fans have an opportunity to receive the Extra Innings package," said Bob DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer. "This is not about iN Demand or Dish not being able to match the DirecTV offer, it is about their willingness to do so. This was a negotiation at arms length over several months. DirecTV set the market. It is up to the other bidders to meet it."

DuPuy is to testify at the hearing along with DirecTV president Chase Carey, iN Demand president Robert Jacobson, EchoStar president Carl Vogel and Penn State law professor Stephen Ross.

"Fans are pretty discerning," Kerry said. "I think they'll have a terrific ability to say, `Well, that's crock or this isn't,' and kind of get a read on it."

Kerry, who asked the Federal Communications Commission to investigate, said he hadn't been given a copy of DirecTV's deal and wasn't sure whether he had a right to it. He said he called for the hearing on behalf of Red Sox fans who live outside New England.

"We've lost jobs in recent years. We've seen a lot of folks go to Arizona, New Mexico," he said. "People retire, but they'd like to be able to continue to follow their team."

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2006-2007, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Well, the end of March has come and gone and no announcement one way or the other regarding Extra Innings beinging on cable or not. I'm assuming not, but I'd love some sort of official word on the subject.

Archived