NBC Sports Edge Forums

Joel Przbilla 09/10

Ty Lawsome

I think Portland will look to add someone if the losing continues. I've had Przy in the past and he's proven he can be an above average rebounder and shot blocker. Then again, he's never really been asked to do as much as he is now, and he's never had as much young talent around him as he does now. He's now the old guy on the team and he has Aldridge around to suck up some rebounds. In the past, he only really had an aging Rahim in which to contend (when Randolph, Odem, or Aldridge were injured)

Portland has never liked to start Przy. They've only started him when they've had to do so. In addition, Przy doesn't seem to handle major minutes well as he either goes on a foul binge or gets hurt.

I have him covering Oden in one league and have been actively looking for something better. Still, here's hoping he will improve as he gets used to playing major minutes again. I just hope he isn't on the downside of his career. Yes he is still fairly young, but some players just age faster than others.

What's hurting Portland right now is their lack of bench. When they used to play Przy in the middle Portland had Outlaw off the bench, and they used him for instant offense. Without Outlaw and with no Fernandez, Portland is going to need their stars and role players to pick it up. They're going to need Andre Miller and Webster to definitely step it up. Both those guys didn't play well against the Knicks, and the with no Fernandez off the bench Portland is going to struggle.

Przy's role is very simple, grab boards, block, and play defense. Everyone knows he's an exceptional defender and rebounder. With that said, I think when Fernandez comes back Portland will be able to move the ball better, but imo they still need more depth on their bench to help their starters since they currently don't have any other offensive threat.

is it possible for prz to average less blocks even though he's getting more minutes? i feel like in the blazers' current situation he may be more conscious of picking up fouls, and thus try to block less, since he's more or less the only option left at center and needs to stay in the game.

is it possible for prz to average less blocks even though he's getting more minutes? i feel like in the blazers' current situation he may be more conscious of picking up fouls, and thus try to block less, since he's more or less the only option left at center and needs to stay in the game.

That's why I think Portland will add a big man. Perhaps not a star, or a starter. Then again, it's obvious they'd prefer Przy off the bench. If he gets hurt, or fouls out, they really have little else to fall back on. Save for a bunch of smallish, inexperienced forwards. Aldridge has proven soft against top centers and is certainly better as a scoring power forward.

We'll see. I just can't see Portland turning into a small running team with only one, maybe two, offensive threats. At under 15 a game, Aldridge really isn't there yet.

I can see the Blazers getting a big man off the waivers/from the D league almost immediately. Maybe a trade in the future- I know nothing about the salaries, but the Clippers seem to have the assets to work with- but something needs to be done basically right now.

I can see the Blazers getting a big man off the waivers/from the D league almost immediately. Maybe a trade in the future- I know nothing about the salaries, but the Clippers seem to have the assets to work with- but something needs to be done basically right now.

The Clippers aren't interested in Andre Miller at all, however. He burned a lot of bridges when he was in LA the first time.

The problem for Portland is that the Clippers' greatest area of need is SF, which is also where the Blazers are thinnest. Travis Outlaw or Nicholas Batum might be attractive options, but they're both out till after the trade deadline. The Clips would be interested in Martell Webster - he could fill the role Rasual Butler was supposed to - but it would leave the Blazers with no true SFs. Is Portland really comfortable with Roy guarding Melo?

The Blazers' most eligible trade asset is Miller, who has a bad history with the Clippers. He also just signed a new contract, and Baron Davis is still due 4 years and over $50 million. A team without a SG could try playing them together, but the Clipper have Eric Gordon there already.

The Blazers' #1 pick, currently slated at #22, is an attractive option, but the Blazers have to attach at least ~$6.2 million in salary to match Camby, or ~$7.4M to match Kaman.

The problem for Portland is that the Clippers' greatest area of need is SF, which is also where the Blazers are thinnest. Travis Outlaw or Nicholas Batum might be attractive options, but they're both out till after the trade deadline. The Clips would be interested in Martell Webster - he could fill the role Rasual Butler was supposed to - but it would leave the Blazers with no true SFs. Is Portland really comfortable with Roy guarding Melo?

The Blazers' most eligible trade asset is Miller, who has a bad history with the Clippers. He also just signed a new contract, and Baron Davis is still due 4 years and over $50 million. A team without a SG could try playing them together, but the Clipper have Eric Gordon there already.

The Blazers' #1 pick, currently slated at #22, is an attractive option, but the Blazers have to attach at least ~$6.2 million in salary to match Camby, or ~$7.4M to match Kaman.

rasual bulter, al thorton?

rasual bulter, al thorton?

Have you seen Rasual Butler play this year? He was brought in to help space the floor - similar to what Steve Novak did at times last year, but with better defense. He's shooting 3s at 27%, nearly 10% below his career average.

Thornton's shooting better than he did last year, but he's still a largely one-dimensional player. He doesn't defend anywhere near what his physical abilities allow. I'd rather have him in a Maggette-type role off the bench than as a 35mpg starter. And he can't space the floor to 3.

Archived