NBC Sports Edge Forums

thoughts on Casey Kotchman?

ssmarsh

He's been playing well this spring and has the inside track on being the every day 1B in LA. I'm in a 10 team, AL only, auction keeper league and I have him at $9 from last year. As of right now he's not on my keeper list (we get 7), but I'm thinking of putting him on. Here's my list so far:

DH T. Hafner - $31 (my league rules let me put him in the OF since he has 20+ games at DH)

1B K. Youkilis - $4

3B/OF C. Figgins - $15

OF R. White - $2

SP R. Halladay - $40

SP C. Wang - $16

RP - S. Shields - $5

I have no problem dropping White in favor of Kotchman, assuming he's the Angels starting 1B. Any thoughts?

He's been playing well this spring and has the inside track on being the every day 1B in LA. I'm in a 10 team, AL only, auction keeper league and I have him at $9 from last year. As of right now he's not on my keeper list (we get 7), but I'm thinking of putting him on. Here's my list so far:

DH T. Hafner - $31 (my league rules let me put him in the OF since he has 20+ games at DH)

1B K. Youkilis - $4

3B/OF C. Figgins - $15

OF R. White - $2

SP R. Halladay - $40

SP C. Wang - $16

RP - S. Shields - $5

I have no problem dropping White in favor of Kotchman, assuming he's the Angels starting 1B. Any thoughts?

Rondell White is a waste of money. Kotchman if he gets 500 ab's is worth the $9 so you need to know for sure that he gets the bulk of the AB's. Do you not have any other options? What is the rest of your roster?

Do you not have any other options? What is the rest of your roster?

Not really, no. Last year I dealt a lot of my cheap players to make a run at a title and it left my roster full of high priced studs (Manny, Vlad, Schilling, Mo Rivera). I also have a lot of long term keeper contracts which are expiring (Teix, Young, Brian Roberts) so I have to throw those players back. The fact that I am considering keeping White pretty much says it all (although at $2 he may not be a total waste is he actually plays most of the time in Min).

its hard to tell whats gonna happen but if he does get the job it will be because of his defense.

As of right now he has the upper hand. He is hitting only slightly better than Morales, but like brockr said, his defense is going to put him over the edge. Kotchman is going to be a HUGE deep sleeper...he will probably come out of the gates strong, and would be a good guy to trade at high value at the end of the first or second month.

Yeah, I would keep Kotchman over either Shields or White.

I have a question. Looking over the Forums recently, I noticed a few people have Shields on their keeper list. Why is that? Are people worried about K-Rod? I know he has a great ERA, but in roto, is that enough? I'm just asking because I never thought much about Shields as a keeper. I think of him as a $2-$3 pitcher to round out a pitching staff. Am I missing something- enlighten me.

I have a question. Looking over the Forums recently, I noticed a few people have Shields on their keeper list. Why is that? Are people worried about K-Rod? I know he has a great ERA, but in roto, is that enough? I'm just asking because I never thought much about Shields as a keeper. I think of him as a $2-$3 pitcher to round out a pitching staff. Am I missing something- enlighten me.

Being perhaps the top set-up man in the game makes Shields quite notable. His stats are valuable enough to make him very roto worthy right now. He gets you a great ERA, WHIP, K's, & some vulture wins & saves. And if he had the opportunity to close, he'd be top 10. Regarding the future, K-Rod does have a problematic delivery & may have a short live span in the league if he doesn't change.

Looking over the Forums recently, I noticed a few people have Shields on their keeper list. Why is that? Are people worried about K-Rod? I know he has a great ERA, but in roto, is that enough? I'm just asking because I never thought much about Shields as a keeper. I think of him as a $2-$3 pitcher to round out a pitching staff. Am I missing something- enlighten me.

Instead of straight saves, my league uses "saves-blown saves+holds/2" as a pitching category. Since Shileds is one of the top holds guys out there, he's easily worth the $5 (to me).

Kotchman continues to play well but morales is hitting well so far this spring. Is Kotchman still the fav to be the regular 1B over Morales and Hillenbrand?

Archived