NBC Sports Edge Forums

Steven Jackson

Br0kenB

I have SJax ranked at #3 for overall RBs this year. I think that everything happened in the off-season for him to regain his superstar status of years past. What do you guys think? I think he is ready to blow up with a new offensive line, new coach, and a full off-season of training.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. I have #5 pick in my league and I want him. I think his holdout last year screwed up his conditioning and led to his injury-plagued season. He should be much more prepared this season, and they've upgraded their OL. I like him alot.

I have SJax ranked at #3 for overall RBs this year. I think that everything happened in the off-season for him to regain his superstar status of years past. What do you guys think? I think he is ready to blow up with a new offensive line, new coach, and a full off-season of training.

I agree with this statement, but only for the opposite reason.

I agree that SJAX has all the tools, but his team does not.

They are going to run a predictable SJax left, SJax right, SJax up the gut offense.

While that is appealing for a fantasy owner, it is only appealing while the RB holds up.

Steven Jackson holding up? I'm not so sure there.

Aging QB, young OLine, weak WR corp, and a horrible defense add up to SJax getting overworked and blown up.

Throw in the fact hat the Rams are for sale and the home crowds will be weak... it all adds up to 3-13, a gimpy SJax and another lost season for the Rams.

I actually think he is overvalued a bit, sure the ability is there and he has proven he can put up the numbers but he does come with an injury concern. 3rd may be a bit high until he shows he can make it thru a full season again. As Winky said the team around him is terrible and even if he can stay healthy he may lose some carries if Spags tries to recreate the Giants backfield.

Young and great O-Line though.

Who would he lose carries to? Antonio Pittman, was it? If so, that ain't gunna last long, lol. If he gets a full off-season of conditioning in and doesn't miss any camp, I'm going to take him with confidence if I have 3-6.

Young and great O-Line though.

Who would he lose carries to? Antonio Pittman, was it? If so, that ain't gunna last long, lol. If he gets a full off-season of conditioning in and doesn't miss any camp, I'm going to take him with confidence if I have 3-6.

I dont see how you can say they are great, they added a rookie, who knows if he is Joe Thomas or Robert Gallery. They also added a solid Center, the rest of the pieces always seem to under achieve or get injured...why should anyone think anything will be different this season?

As for the backup running back, who knows who it will be all I know is nobody was worried about Bradshaw or Ward until they started taking carries, so I for one wouldnt be shocked if Spags tries to find the whole earth wind and fire thing again.

I may be wrong but did he not get a full offseason of conditioning the season before when he got hurt to? Im just saying when a player has back to back seasons with injuries I start to take notice and will worry about the overall health of the player, I dont realy question people taking him that high because he does have the talent and can be a stud....but I personally wouldnt take him as high.

Let's face it, Bulger is starting to slide downhill.

Donnie "wee man" Avery is their top WR

Their defense sucks.

It's going to another year of 8 man fronts bearing down on Bulger and his young O Line.

I'm not saying SJax is going to be a bust, but a top 5 pick he shouldn't be.

I think SJax mght be the most overrated player in all opf fantasy football. I think he'll be awful again this year and in weeks 14 and 15 he'll have two monster games long after you are out of the playoffs. I wouldn't draft him anywhere near the first round

I dont see how you can say they are great, they added a rookie, who knows if he is Joe Thomas or Robert Gallery. They also added a solid Center, the rest of the pieces always seem to under achieve or get injured...why should anyone think anything will be different this season?

As for the backup running back, who knows who it will be all I know is nobody was worried about Bradshaw or Ward until they started taking carries, so I for one wouldnt be shocked if Spags tries to find the whole earth wind and fire thing again.

I may be wrong but did he not get a full offseason of conditioning the season before when he got hurt to? Im just saying when a player has back to back seasons with injuries I start to take notice and will worry about the overall health of the player, I dont realy question people taking him that high because he does have the talent and can be a stud....but I personally wouldnt take him as high.

He held out last summer and missed a significant portion of training camp before finally reporting. I don't know what kind of conditioning he was doing on his own but I would bet it wasn't up to par.

I'd likely pass on him in the 1st but I'd happily take him if he dropped to #2. He could be the Steal of the Century as a #2 pick, because I def believe in his ability. However - he's very risky for the plethora of reasons already given.

He held out last summer and missed a significant portion of training camp before finally reporting. I don't know what kind of conditioning he was doing on his own but I would bet it wasn't up to par.

that was last offseason right? I was talking about the year before, or was he holding out then to? Either way he has missed games the past two season due to injury, regardless of the reason that is a red flag for me.

that was last offseason right? I was talking about the year before, or was he holding out then to? Either way he has missed games the past two season due to injury, regardless of the reason that is a red flag for me.

Yeah last offseason, I don't think he's had any other holdouts besides that one.

I think SJax mght be the most overrated player in all opf fantasy football. I think he'll be awful again this year and in weeks 14 and 15 he'll have two monster games long after you are out of the playoffs. I wouldn't draft him anywhere near the first round

Is this serious? Overrated? People who draft him and expect a full season are only fooling themselves. I love S-Jax as much as anyone, even own his jersey, but I don't expect a full season. If he gives it to you, then it's a bonus. But the man, when playing, produces. He is the focal point of the offensive and will consistantly gain 100+ yards total a game, and has potential any game to throw up a 150 1-2 TD game. In PPR more so, he is gold.

I understand if you don't want to take him top 4 or 5, but no where near the first round? This guy was a STUD 2 years ago. Best or 2nd best in the league if I recall correctly. Carried me to a fantasy title as he went into BEAST mode.

This guy is the ultimate High-Risk/High-Reward. And it's not even a high risk, it's just a risk. Draft accordingly and you can have a backup for when/if Jax goes down.

Otherwise, this guy is just High-Reward. He has more talent then most in the first round.

On top of all of that, he get's Seattle, San Fran and the Cardinals 6 times total. Those are just freebies.

If he is there at the end of the first round, no question I'll snatch him up. So yes BrokenB, I'm with you.

Interesting thread because i have the 5th overall pick and am thinking very strongly about taking SJax with that pick. It has probably been listed already so if someone has a link that would be great but i would like to see how people rank the RBs for this coming draft.

Interesting thread because i have the 5th overall pick and am thinking very strongly about taking SJax with that pick. It has probably been listed already so if someone has a link that would be great but i would like to see how people rank the RBs for this coming draft.

1st Tier:

Purple Jesus

MJD

Forte

LT2

Turner

2nd Tier:

Gore

Westbrook

SJax

Portis

Steve Slaton

Chris Johnson

D Williams

Jacobs

I'll agree but I'd switch LT2 and S-Jax. Then you nailed it.

I would include LT in first tier, as #6 RB. After him I think the next group of guys are all so close they're almost interchangable, I don't even try to rank them.

On top of all of that, he get's Seattle, San Fran and the Cardinals 6 times total. Those are just freebies.

Not this year. We suffered an injury plagued season last year beyond imagination, our DL is stocked 8 deep, we'll have the best LB unit in the NFL this season and we got Ken Lucas back to play CB2, one of the best second corners in the league. Our SS is suspect deep but that doesn't factor into the SJax discussion. Don't sleep on the Hawks D this year, both IRL and for fantasy scoring purposes.

I agree strongly with the rest of your post, I'm drafting 10 and if SJax is there, I can't see passing him up.

Winky, nice tiers, but Southeast Jerome ahead of SJax and CJ424? I've made the mistake of drafting aging high mileage RB's in the past, not this year.

Edit: Oops, I see you have Portis behind SJax. I'd still take the next 4 players you have behind Portis instead.

OMG Guys??? Can someone please pull up the "i will never draft this guy again thread" from last year. SJax name was in it repeatedly... He is not a guy you want to spend a top 5 pick on. Late first round ,maybe. 2nd round for sure,but that wont happen so let someone else worry about this guy.All the talent, but heres the factors workin against this dude:

1-O-line was atrocious last year and i dont really think we can say for certain they are a whole lot better. Maybe a little,but o-line is about unity,not individual talent thrown together.

2-Absolutely ZERO passing game from this team. As previously stated, Avery is the #1 WR. Thats no good. Bulger is super injury prone. Jax will face a steady,and i emphasize steady, diet of 8 men in the box.

3- this guy really has disappointed for a couple years with the injuries. Just when it looks like he's rolling, he tears something. He cant be trusted. Especially not taking a pounding with 8 in the box on 25-30 carries a game. He will be out by week 8.

Bottom line, he cant be trusted with a top pick when you can get a solid producer instead. Championships(in fantasy) are won with steady and consistent play. Jax is a home run hitter, but also injury prone with bad factors surrounding him. Leave him for the next guy

OMG Guys??? Can someone please pull up the "i will never draft this guy again thread" from last year. SJax name was in it repeatedly... He is not a guy you want to spend a top 5 pick on. Late first round ,maybe. 2nd round for sure,but that wont happen so let someone else worry about this guy.All the talent, but heres the factors workin against this dude:

1-O-line was atrocious last year and i dont really think we can say for certain they are a whole lot better. Maybe a little,but o-line is about unity,not individual talent thrown together.

2-Absolutely ZERO passing game from this team. As previously stated, Avery is the #1 WR. Thats no good. Bulger is super injury prone. Jax will face a steady,and i emphasize steady, diet of 8 men in the box.

3- this guy really has disappointed for a couple years with the injuries. Just when it looks like he's rolling, he tears something. He cant be trusted. Especially not taking a pounding with 8 in the box on 25-30 carries a game. He will be out by week 8.

Bottom line, he cant be trusted with a top pick when you can get a solid producer instead. Championships(in fantasy) are won with steady and consistent play. Jax is a home run hitter, but also injury prone with bad factors surrounding him. Leave him for the next guy

exactly.

This thread is quickly beginning to change my mind.

haha me too. I just dunno who else to take at #5 over SJax, assuming the draft goes AP,Turner,Forte,Mojo. LT has similar injury worries AND he has someone stealing carries. CJ has fatass stealing tds, not touching him. Gore? Seems like similar situation as Jax w/ crappy offense. D'Lo is going to lose lots of carries to Stewart and who knows maybe even some goalline work. I'm not taking a WR at #5.

This thread is quickly beginning to change my mind.

Ive had him the past 3 seasons and I may get burned again this year but he won't be hurting me from my roster. He will have to go beast mode when he is on my opponets team. Im part of the "never will draft this guy again" crowd. Risky player on bad team. I'll pass

Ive had him the past 3 seasons and I may get burned again this year but he won't be hurting me from my roster. He will have to go beast mode when he is on my opponets team. Im part of the "never will draft this guy again" crowd. Risky player on bad team. I'll pass

Well, thats first round choice. I could deal with the risk on second round pick on him..Im not totally unreasonable!!

haha me too. I just dunno who else to take at #5 over SJax, assuming the draft goes AP,Turner,Forte,Mojo. LT has similar injury worries AND he has someone stealing carries. CJ has fatass stealing tds, not touching him. Gore? Seems like similar situation as Jax w/ crappy offense. D'Lo is going to lose lots of carries to Stewart and who knows maybe even some goalline work. I'm not taking a WR at #5.

Except that LT is a better play than Sjax, is on a superior team in every facet and has only missed 1 regular season game his entire career. The main knock I see with LT is Sproles, but it's not even that big, almost everybody has a back up that will play.

Archived