NBC Sports Edge Forums

Steven Jackson

Br0kenB

Except that LT is a better play than Sjax, is on a superior team in every facet and has only missed 1 regular season game his entire career. The main knock I see with LT is Sproles, but it's not even that big, almost everybody has a back up that will play.

Straight up, at the moment without any other circumstances, I'd put Jax ahead of LT2

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
haha me too. I just dunno who else to take at #5 over SJax, assuming the draft goes AP,Turner,Forte,Mojo. LT has similar injury worries AND he has someone stealing carries. CJ has fatass stealing tds, not touching him. Gore? Seems like similar situation as Jax w/ crappy offense. D'Lo is going to lose lots of carries to Stewart and who knows maybe even some goalline work. I'm not taking a WR at #5.

heres the way i rank them and would wait for them to fall to me:

Peterson

Turner

Forte

MJD

and picking at #5, i would take....Frank Gore....i think its a nice play.In 4 seasons he's played in 14 games or more every year.Besides his rookie season,he's rushed for 1,000+ every year.Besides that rookie season,he avg 52 receptions per year..an extra 400+yards per year in recieving and this year he gets even more touches and work with this system. Decent QB and now Crabtree on the outside. He's a better play than Jackson or LT

I believe in the guy's talent, but the whole "being on the Rams" thing really is a huge drawback. The defense isn't stopping anybody, the complementary threats in the offense are mediocre at best, the QB is talented but old & fragile, and the OL is a work in progress. He can't possibly be a bad as the injury apocalypses that've hit them the past two seasons, but I'm unsure where the ceiling is in all that. Tentatively, my top-8 ranking (non-PPR) goes:

Peterson

Jones-Drew

Forte

Tomlinson

Turner

S. Jackson

Chr. Johnson

Slaton

But Jackson is the player whose position in all that I am least sure of, and the player that I'm most likely to chicken out of drafting if he's #1 on my list when my name comes up.

Except that LT is a better play than Sjax, is on a superior team in every facet and has only missed 1 regular season game his entire career. The main knock I see with LT is Sproles, but it's not even that big, almost everybody has a back up that will play.

I dunno about that. LT has hit the dreaded 30 and is on the downside of his career, SJax is in his prime(when healthy). LT is probably the only guy I'd consider over Jackson at #5 but he certainly has questions too. Sproles is not your routine backup, they did franchise tag him for this year.

I believe in the guy's talent, but the whole "being on the Rams" thing really is a huge drawback. The defense isn't stopping anybody, the complementary threats in the offense are mediocre at best, the QB is talented but old & fragile, and the OL is a work in progress. He can't possibly be a bad as the injury apocalypses that've hit them the past two seasons, but I'm unsure where the ceiling is in all that. Tentatively, my top-8 ranking (non-PPR) goes:

Peterson

Jones-Drew

Forte

Tomlinson

Turner

S. Jackson

Chr. Johnson

Slaton

But Jackson is the player whose position in all that I am least sure of, and the player that I'm most likely to chicken out of drafting if he's #1 on my list when my name comes up.

Good post.

Jackson is going into his 6th NFL season. So far, he's put it all together one time. Throw out his rookie season for sure, but he's still only been a fantasy stud one time. You can use 2006 as a projection, but it seems more hopeful than it does prudent.

This guy is not even a first rounder for me. Not the guy I want to start my team with.

The talent is there, no question about it. Not many guys in the league possess the dual-threat skill set that he has.

Remember the Dallas game last year? That's what owners were salivating for. When the passing game works and the OL blocks, SJAX is the most dangerous guy on the field.

BUT, the guy cannot stay healthy which makes him the ultimate high risk/high reward guy. It's tough to pass on him after the first 5-6 guys are off the board because he's so talented but if you're like me, you're hesitant to draft him because he's burned us in the past

A couple of other things that guys have already touched upon...the offense is still pretty weak and I'm not sold on this "new and improved OL" until we see them in action. But they really need to spread the field more and get the passing game going. It was awful watching defenses stack the box with 8-9 men last year and seeing SJAX run into a mountain of dudes.

Owners understand the fantasy impact he can have but it sure sucks seeing him sit out a hand full of games in the middle of the fantasy season.

If I have a top 6 pick, i'm going to pass on him but I can't blame anyone for grabbing him in the late 1st round. Even better if you can pair him up with a Gore/Slaton/CJ at the end of a snake draft

I think I traded for SJAX in 2007 and maybe even drafted him in 2008. Overall he has been disappointing but I still know he has the talent to be #1 if he can stay healthy. This season, I hope I can draft him at #4 or 5 but would likely take him as high as #3.

Is this serious? Overrated? People who draft him and expect a full season are only fooling themselves. I love S-Jax as much as anyone, even own his jersey, but I don't expect a full season. If he gives it to you, then it's a bonus. But the man, when playing, produces. He is the focal point of the offensive and will consistantly gain 100+ yards total a game, and has potential any game to throw up a 150 1-2 TD game. In PPR more so, he is gold.

I understand if you don't want to take him top 4 or 5, but no where near the first round? This guy was a STUD 2 years ago. Best or 2nd best in the league if I recall correctly. Carried me to a fantasy title as he went into BEAST mode.

This guy is the ultimate High-Risk/High-Reward. And it's not even a high risk, it's just a risk. Draft accordingly and you can have a backup for when/if Jax goes down.

Otherwise, this guy is just High-Reward. He has more talent then most in the first round.

On top of all of that, he get's Seattle, San Fran and the Cardinals 6 times total. Those are just freebies.

If he is there at the end of the first round, no question I'll snatch him up. So yes BrokenB, I'm with you.

Last year he didn't have a100 yard game til about weeek 6, He was horrid last year. He is a spotty runner who will have two amazing games to make his stats look better.Since 2006 his YPC and his his Yard Totals have dropped drastically. His O Line is still horrid, there is nothing else in that offense to take the pressure off of him. HIs Receptions and Recieving yards have also dropped as well. I see about 10 running backs who I would rather have then SJax

He may be great, but he can be great for some other team in my league.

Agree with the above post... he will be lights out for 2 games, then pull up lame and be out until 6 weeks.

He may be great, but he can be great for some other team in my league.

Agree with the above post... he will be lights out for 2 games, then pull up lame and be out until 6 weeks.

The fact that he has played 16 games only once in 5 years makes him a risky 1st round pick. I might take him at 11 or 12 but not sooner.

Is it to much to put Deangelo at 5 for RB's. I am in a TD length league and he was the top scorer for all RB. Did not mean to hijack this thread-soooorrrryy!

Is it to much to put Deangelo at 5 for RB's. I am in a TD length league and he was the top scorer for all RB. Did not mean to hijack this thread-soooorrrryy!

I don't think it's too much. Yes, Jonathan Stewart is in Carolina. But this is the exact same scenario that DeShaun Foster / DeAngelo Williams were in a few seasons ago... Foster still got a majority of the carries with Williams coming in sometimes to spell Foster. Now that the Panthers know what they have in Williams (an amazing talent who can play all 16 games and produce some game-breaking plays), I can see Stewart getting occasional third-down carries and occasional goal-line carries. Williams still has first round value to me.

Thread hijack, end! I'll make a D Willy thread.

I wouldn't be comfortable taking this guy in the 1st round....that's not the place to gamble. I'd be more comfortable taking a far lesser talent who would produce consistently than screw up my whole season dealing with the ups and downs.

Even with the terrible OL, Bulger completely sucking and an offense that couldn't score, SJax was top 10 in PPR leagues last year for points per game when he played. That is better than Gore. He was 6th in 2007. I don't see how he would be worse this year with a new OC. Maybe not better but worse? Doubtful IMO. So to me the question of SJax comes down to injuries. Are you willing to have a guy who is as close to a Top 10 guarantee there is who will also likely miss 3-5 games? It's a matter of depth. If you think your team can survive a few weeks without SJax then he's a good pick. The one piece of advice I'll offer is that if you do take SJax in round 1, take a more conservative RB or WR in round 2.

I will take him 6th if LT goes 5 because I want a guy who when he DOES play, can win games for me. A guy who can post the monster weeks but still deliver consistency. I'll take the chance at added losses because he missed games over a risk like Gore who is on a team that has even less going offensively. It's a close call though. And if Westbrook looks healthy by draft time, he might surpass SJax.

I have 5th pick in one league and i am hoping S-Jax falls to me. They don't have a true #1 WR no more. Holt & Bruce are gone. The O - Line has gotten a little better and bulger will have no choice but to keep dumping and tossing the ball Jax's way.

I have 5th pick in one league and i am hoping S-Jax falls to me. They don't have a true #1 WR no more. Holt & Bruce are gone. The O - Line has gotten a little better and bulger will have no choice but to keep dumping and tossing the ball Jax's way.

Not having a true #1 WR is not a positive thing. Defenses will be more inclined to stack the box...you need a legit WR threat to keep the defense honest.

Donnie Avery commands some respect by the defense just because he's so damn fast. If you split out Burton and Avery there aren't going to be eight in the box.

In PPR Jax will be fine because they will have to dump balls his way all day. In non-PPR, he's much worse. However, I still do not like him as early as 5 in PPR or non PPR and the reason is RISK. The first round pick is about ELIMINATING as much risk as possible. You don't take injury risks/offensive line risks/really awful team risks as early as pick 5. I like AP, MJD, Turner(even in PPR, but he better catch more than 6 balls this year or I will puke), Forte, Westbrook(better team, bigger upside, equal injury risk) and even Slaton and Gore more than Jax because they all generally present less risk. Jax has 3 HUGE negatives: 1. a bad, injury-prone Qb with nobody to throw to. 2. A bad offensive line. 3. A team out of contention by week 5....which means, if you get hurt, why bother busting balls to get back? And frankly, I prefer Andre Johnson/Larry Fitz/Chris Johnson at 8-10 to S-Jax at 5.

Over the past two seasons, SJax had a span of time in which he missed 20 of 32 potential games due to injury. And you want to spend what kind of pick on him? B)

Let's be realistic here guys. this is clearly a trend, not a coincidence. Jackson can be a nice pick in a value slot (i.e. early second round) but chances of him dropping that far are quite slim. You don't want to begin building your team with a proven liability right off the bat. The risk FAR outweighs the rewards IMO.

Over the past two seasons, SJax had a span of time in which he missed 20 of 32 potential games due to injury. And you want to spend what kind of pick on him? B)

Let's be realistic here guys. this is clearly a trend, not a coincidence. Jackson can be a nice pick in a value slot (i.e. early second round) but chances of him dropping that far are quite slim. You don't want to begin building your team with a proven liability right off the bat. The risk FAR outweighs the rewards IMO.

Steven Jackson has played 12 games in each of the past 2 seasons, so I'm really not sure what you're referring by saying he missed 20 out of a potential 32 games.

Let's take a look at what he's done when he has played over the past two seasons:

24 games, 490 rushing attempts, 2044 rushing yards, 12 rushing TDs

Average per game played: 20.4 rushing attempts, 85.2 rushing yards, 0.5 rushing TDs

Average over the last 2 years prorated to 16 games: 327 carries, 1,361 rushing yards, 8 rushing TDs

These numbers don't even include Jackson's breakout 2006 when he posted 16 total TDs and over 2,300 yards from scrimmage. Now over the last 2 years the Rams have been one of the worst teams in the NFL. Jackson has also had holdout and other issues of his own to deal with. In 2006, Jackson's most productive year, the Rams went 8-8. The new coaching staff recognizes and has stated that their goal is to get Jackson the ball as much as possible. Realistically this year, I think that Jackson's floor is 1200 rushing yards and 8 TDs. His ceiling though is much higher (Think over 2,000 yards from scrimmage and 15+ TDs). He's still one of the best power/speed combinations in the NFL, and he's more enthusiastic about this season than either of the previous two. Barring a freak injury, I think he easily plays a full season and puts up elite numbers.

The risk is there, sure, but I'd easily take that reward potential in the mid first round.

Steven Jackson has played 12 games in each of the past 2 seasons, so I'm really not sure what you're referring by saying he missed 20 out of a potential 32 games.

Let's take a look at what he's done when he has played over the past two seasons:

24 games, 490 rushing attempts, 2044 rushing yards, 12 rushing TDs

Average per game played: 20.4 rushing attempts, 85.2 rushing yards, 0.5 rushing TDs

Average over the last 2 years prorated to 16 games: 327 carries, 1,361 rushing yards, 8 rushing TDs

These numbers don't even include Jackson's breakout 2006 when he posted 16 total TDs and over 2,300 yards from scrimmage. Now over the last 2 years the Rams have been one of the worst teams in the NFL. Jackson has also had holdout and other issues of his own to deal with. In 2006, Jackson's most productive year, the Rams went 8-8. The new coaching staff recognizes and has stated that their goal is to get Jackson the ball as much as possible. Realistically this year, I think that Jackson's floor is 1200 rushing yards and 8 TDs. His ceiling though is much higher (Think over 2,000 yards from scrimmage and 15+ TDs). He's still one of the best power/speed combinations in the NFL, and he's more enthusiastic about this season than either of the previous two. Barring a freak injury, I think he easily plays a full season and puts up elite numbers.

The risk is there, sure, but I'd easily take that reward potential in the mid first round.

I don't think anyone doubts the talent that guy has. IMO, he's the ultimate high risk/high reward guy but his 2007 and 2008 injuries are not what I call "freak" injuries.

He had a partially torn groin in 2007 and a quad injury in 2008, both injuries occured during games.

Many, like myself, were burned by him and as most say...you want your 1st round pick to be the safest guy you draft. SJAX seems fragile to me and I would love for him to prove me wrong.

I don't think anyone doubts the talent that guy has. IMO, he's the ultimate high risk/high reward guy but his 2007 and 2008 injuries are not what I call "freak" injuries.

He had a partially torn groin in 2007 and a quad injury in 2008, both injuries occured during games.

Many, like myself, were burned by him and as most say...you want your 1st round pick to be the safest guy you draft. SJAX seems fragile to me and I would love for him to prove me wrong.

Bang! You can't take him at #5 because of RISK. You pick at 5 in a 12 man league, then you don't pick again for 14 more picks. You simply can't afford to draft an injury risk on a bad offense in the top 8 picks. Westbrook is an injury risk on a good offense that revolves around him. While Jax's offense may revolve around him, that team BLOWS. Ie. if he gets hurt week 10-14, don't count on him "rushing" back to get in the last couple games of the year. Simply put, you can't count on great numbers when healthy with Jax(you can with Westbrook, a comparable injury risk) and you can't count on health either....so it's a bad combo.

Archived