NBC Sports Edge Forums

Steven Jackson

Br0kenB

Steven Jackson has played 12 games in each of the past 2 seasons, so I'm really not sure what you're referring by saying he missed 20 out of a potential 32 games.

Let's take a look at what he's done when he has played over the past two seasons:

24 games, 490 rushing attempts, 2044 rushing yards, 12 rushing TDs

Average per game played: 20.4 rushing attempts, 85.2 rushing yards, 0.5 rushing TDs

Average over the last 2 years prorated to 16 games: 327 carries, 1,361 rushing yards, 8 rushing TDs

These numbers don't even include Jackson's breakout 2006 when he posted 16 total TDs and over 2,300 yards from scrimmage. Now over the last 2 years the Rams have been one of the worst teams in the NFL. Jackson has also had holdout and other issues of his own to deal with. In 2006, Jackson's most productive year, the Rams went 8-8. The new coaching staff recognizes and has stated that their goal is to get Jackson the ball as much as possible. Realistically this year, I think that Jackson's floor is 1200 rushing yards and 8 TDs. His ceiling though is much higher (Think over 2,000 yards from scrimmage and 15+ TDs). He's still one of the best power/speed combinations in the NFL, and he's more enthusiastic about this season than either of the previous two. Barring a freak injury, I think he easily plays a full season and puts up elite numbers.

The risk is there, sure, but I'd easily take that reward potential in the mid first round.

Really? He has 1 season out of 5 that he has more than 1200 rushing yards. He has 1 season out of 5 where he has more than 8 TDs. He has 1 season out of 5 were he has played all 16 games. I would say that the odds that he does all three are not great.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really? He has 1 season out of 5 that he has more than 1200 rushing yards. He has 1 season out of 5 where he has more than 8 TDs. He has 1 season out of 5 were he has played all 16 games. I would say that the odds that he does all three are not great.

In the para words of Stephen Colbert, facts have a well known Liberal bias.

Yes, in an ideal world you want your 1st round pick to be your safest. But how many 1st round picks last year busted? A lot. LT, Tom Brady, Joseph Addai, Marion Barber, Randy Moss, and Clinton Portis all heavily disappointed last year. I bet close to half of the guys taken in the 1st round this year also prove to be busts. I'd venture so far as to say that there is no such thing as a safe draft pick. If I had the 7th or 8th pick in the 1st round and Jackson was sitting there with his upside, I don't think I could pass him up.

It's really not fair to use his first 2 seasons in this case since Marshall Faulk was clearly very much still in the picture.

Faulk was a non-factor by Jackson's 2nd year. I agree that you need to toss out 2004, but not 2005.

Yea, you can make an argument to toss out 2004, but even then jax had only 60 less carries than Faulk that year and managed to only play 14 games. In 2005, Faulk had 65 carries, while Jax had 254. You can't even argue 2005...in the current NFL that's not even really a time-share.

Anyway....on the Jax, no matter how many legit seasons he has played, the last 2 seasons have been MAJOR disappointments, which leads many of people to believe that 2006 was more of a aboration than something we should ever expect again. In 2006 the Rams had help for Jax at WR and at o-line. We aren't talking like LJ with Jax where LJ was completely a product of a good offense/line around him, but I don't think he's that far off. The only bright spot with Jax is that he should get carries; however, if he averages 4.1 per like last year, then he'll need 25 a game to put up numbers without PPR. And the Rams dont have the defense to run the ball 25 times per game. And they don't have the offense around Jax to prevent 8 men in the box. Anyway, at pick 5(the original point), I would not want a player with so many questions who is on a particularly awful team. I prefer the guy on a winning squad who has a reason to get out there every week and run hard. Don't get me wrong; I take Jax after pick 10 or 11 if hes still around. Just not at pick 5.

I think this is the perfect situation for Jax. Spags wants to run the same system in St louis that is run in philly. If so expect Jax to have a huge year. The eagles had garbage wideouts but yet westbrook still shined though he had a better line at the time. But jax offensive line along with a good blocking fullback should open a ton of holes for him. He will be the main force driving that offense this year. At pick 6 in a ppr...whos a better pick than Sjax? No one

• 1 month later...

I cannot bring myself to draft this guy. He does not even have Holt to defer some offense to so every team is allowed 8-9 in the box against him

hmm, does the whole video work for everyone or do you have to wait each week for the new release? Sorry, was trying to watch it drunk last night and it stopped after the first 5 minutes...tried it about 10 times before I fell asleep at my computer lol

I cannot bring myself to draft this guy. He does not even have Holt to defer some offense to so every team is allowed 8-9 in the box against him

That's the exact reason why I couldn't pull the trigger on him this year as my first round pick. Is he a beast? absolutely! But are teams going to be scared of Donnie Avery and Laurent Robinson streaking down the sideline with Bulger or Boller throwing the rock? I doubt it.

hmm, does the whole video work for everyone or do you have to wait each week for the new release? Sorry, was trying to watch it drunk last night and it stopped after the first 5 minutes...tried it about 10 times before I fell asleep at my computer lol

You lush! B)

i'm trying to decide if i wanna take him 4th overall in ppr league with ap mjd and forte off the board

new offense coord. that runs the ball and brings west coast for short dump passes as well. healthy and major workhorse

on the team.

draft is less than a week. think i'm picking him

in a ppr league, steven jackson will be the #1 rb. last years injury was bs, most ppl that holdout get hurt. he's VERY devoted this offseason, as seen on the sj39.com videos. he's gonna play 16. and with jason brown and jason smith added, and avery looks like he's healthy and ronald curry isnt an awful 2, and an easy schedule , he will have 1300 rushing yards, maybe more. 60 catches. 450 rec yards. and 12-13 tds. championship, lock it up

in a ppr league, steven jackson will be the #1 rb. last years injury was bs, most ppl that holdout get hurt. he's VERY devoted this offseason, as seen on the sj39.com videos. he's gonna play 16. and with jason brown and jason smith added, and avery looks like he's healthy and ronald curry isnt an awful 2, and an easy schedule , he will have 1300 rushing yards, maybe more. 60 catches. 450 rec yards. and 12-13 tds. championship, lock it up

sjax has played all 16 games exactly once in his career, and not only did he miss 4 games last season... he also missed 4 games the season before in 07... there's a reason why people won't touch him even though is fantasy ppg is ridiculously high...

btw, has jason smith officially been named the starter? i read that he was still working with the 2nd team as late as this week...

I got him with the last pick in my 10-Team PPR/IDP league...you can't pass up that potential.

1. (10) Steven Jackson

2. (11) Andre Johnson

3. (30) Marques Colston

4. (31) Ronnie Brown

5. (50) Reggie Bush

6. (51) Dallas Clark

7. (70) Matt Schaub

8. (71) Anthony Gonzalez

9. (90) Matt Hasselbeck

10. (91) Jerricho Cotchery

11. (110) Barrett Ruud

12. (111) Jared Allen