NBC Sports Edge Forums

Steven Jackson

Br0kenB

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People don't realize that S-Jax had a good year last year on a horrendous team.

1421 yds 8 TDs in 12 games...

116 ypg and on pace for 12 TDs

actually, i think everyone is aware of sjax's potential and high fantasy ppg when healthy, but his health concerns are what keep people away...

I think drafter S-Jax depends on the drafter you are.

If you can grab late round steals, much like what James Davis might be, to fill in for him during his injury weeks (if he gets injured) then I don't see the harm in drafting S-Jax.

He is nothing short of beastly when he plays. All the better in PPR.

The problem with Steven Jackson is that I, like many others, want 2006 production from Steven Jackson. His numbers have gone down overall per game average (More his team's fault then his) and his fumbles per game average have gone up. To me, he is producing 3rd and 4th round numbers which is why I cannot draft him in the 1st. I still think he is sick though.

The problem with Steven Jackson is that I, like many others, want 2006 production from Steven Jackson. His numbers have gone down overall per game average (More his team's fault then his) and his fumbles per game average have gone up. To me, he is producing 3rd and 4th round numbers which is why I cannot draft him in the 1st. I still think he is sick though.

I definitely hear where you are coming from, but do you honestly think, in a PPR league, that MOJO, AP, LT will all have better season than Steven? Even if they do, you think it will be by that much? I know drafting him is taking a big risk becuase of the injuries, but i've convinced myself to take him second in my draft, and go for the risk. It's not like hes had reconstructive knee surgery or anyhting to diminish his play...I think he's gonna bring it this year.

I cannot bring myself to draft this guy. He does not even have Holt to defer some offense to so every team is allowed 8-9 in the box against him

Sorry, but you're totally missing the boat. Torry Holt is washed up. Teams could stack the line because Torry Holt was no threat. Now they have probably the fastest WRs in the NFL with Avery and Robinson, so there will be MORE ROOM for SJax. The OL has upgraded a bit in talent and it will be better coached. Maybe I'm overlooking someone, but I'd say the Rams will be this year's most improved offense.

Sorry, but you're totally missing the boat. Torry Holt is washed up. Teams could stack the line because Torry Holt was no threat. Now they have probably the fastest WRs in the NFL with Avery and Robinson, so there will be MORE ROOM for SJax. The OL has upgraded a bit in talent and it will be better coached. Maybe I'm overlooking someone, but I'd say the Rams will be this year's most improved offense.

Are you saying that Bulger will be the comeback player of the year? Hmmmmm

I think you are completely off base here, and I really don't know where you are getting your information. His per game average is as good as ever.

In my league (standard scoring for RB's, no PPR), Jackson had 175 points last year in the 12 games he played. If you average that out to 16 games, it's 233 points. For the record, that is the EXACT SAME amount of points that Adrian Peterson scored last year, and it would have been more than any RB not named DeAngelo Williams or Michael Turner. 3rd or 4th round numbers?!?!?!? Sorry to burst your bubble B) .

I think SJ is under appreciated in FF and will suprise many if he remains healthy. The rams offense has to improve (can't get any worse) and as previously mentioned SJ 's average per game was only less than Deangelo's last year. My format has .5 per reception and expect many dumpoffs to SJ. They stacked the line last year and he still got good #'s.

My only concern that many obviously have is health if they don't get some output from others to keep defenses honest. D Avery and Robertson with and improved yet poor oline should help. I don't have confidence in Bulger and think Boller (ugh!) may be better. SJ has the talent to be the # 1-5 back in the league but just needs a little help from the rest of the cast. I believe he'll finish in the top 3 rb's this year.

got him at number 4 last night in my auto draft and am stoked to have gotten him, i had my rankings as adrian peterson 1 then jackson 2 i believe in a jackson resurrgence....ppr league gold....

Hidden
I think you are completely off base here, and I really don't know where you are getting your information. His per game average is as good as ever.

In my league (standard scoring for RB's, no PPR), Jackson had 175 points last year in the 12 games he played. If you average that out to 16 games, it's 233 points. For the record, that is the EXACT SAME amount of points that Adrian Peterson scored last year, and it would have been more than any RB not named DeAngelo Williams or Michael Turner. 3rd or 4th round numbers?!?!?!? Sorry to burst your bubble B) .

you have to take what Dr. Whom says with a grain of salt. Just because you post a ton it doesnt mean you arent a moron.

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=75270

Here's the BIG problem with Sjax: Injury prone on a crappy team. Why is that important? When he gets dinged up and the team is 1-7, then he's gonna sit. You don't risk further injury with your only star when your team sucks; the organization will shut you down. By week 8, every RB has dings; Jax carries a heavy load and is more injury prone than most, so the odds of him not being dinged up half way through the season are not good. You don't rush him back when your 1-7 and he also has no reliable handcuff. This is why Jax is a gamble and, even though I completely disagree with the 3-4 round assessment, I can understand passing on him at the turn or letting someone else take the risk. If you draft him, just be aware that odds are not good that he plays 16 games and that his handcuff is not gonna put up similar numbers. So, you gotta have enough RBs to hedge that if you take Jax.

Maybe our scoring systems are out of whack as my scoring setting show the following stats from last year (2007-2008 was even worse as I owned him)

2008-2009 (assuming 1 pt per 10 yards, 6 for TD, -2 for fumbles) I need to add 3-4 points to each total for PPR leagues

Wk1 (Phil) = 7 fantasy points (40 rush, 34 rec, 0 TD)

Wk2 (NYG) = 8 fantasy points (53 rush, 37 rec, 0 TD)

WK3 (SEA) = 10 fantasy points (66 rush, 62 rec, 0 TD) 1 fumb -2

Wk4 (BUF) = 24 fantasy points (110 rush, 78 rec, 1 TD)

Wk6 (WAS) = 10 fantasy points (79 rush, 32 rec, 0 TD) 1 fumb -2

Wk7 (DAL) = 35 fantasy points (160 rush, 16 rec, 3 TD)

Wk9 (ARI) = -1 fantasy points (17 rush, 0 Rec, 0 TD) 1 fumb -2

Wk13(MIA) = 10 fantasy points (94 rush, 16 rec , 0 TD)

Wk14(ARI) = 8 fantasy points (63 rush, 3 rec, 1 TD) 2 fumb -4

Wk15(SEA) = 18 fantasy points (91 rush, 36 rec, 1 TD)

wk16(SFO) = 11 fantasy points (108 rush, 11 rec, 0 TD)

wk17(ATL) = 33 fantasy points (161 rush, 54 rec, 2 TD)

Ironically, the two teams he scored 30+ points are not on their schedule this year. It may have just worked out that he was injured for 4 really soft opponents 2 years in a row so we missed 4 huge games each year.

Maybe our scoring systems are out of whack as my scoring setting show the following stats from last year (2007-2008 was even worse as I owned him)

2008-2009 (assuming 1 pt per 10 yards, 6 for TD, -2 for fumbles) I need to add 3-4 points to each total for PPR leagues

Wk1 (Phil) = 7 fantasy points (40 rush, 34 rec, 0 TD)

Wk2 (NYG) = 8 fantasy points (53 rush, 37 rec, 0 TD)

WK3 (SEA) = 10 fantasy points (66 rush, 62 rec, 0 TD) 1 fumb -2

Wk4 (BUF) = 24 fantasy points (110 rush, 78 rec, 1 TD)

Wk6 (WAS) = 10 fantasy points (79 rush, 32 rec, 0 TD) 1 fumb -2

Wk7 (DAL) = 35 fantasy points (160 rush, 16 rec, 3 TD)

Wk9 (ARI) = -1 fantasy points (17 rush, 0 Rec, 0 TD) 1 fumb -2

Wk13(MIA) = 10 fantasy points (94 rush, 16 rec , 0 TD)

Wk14(ARI) = 8 fantasy points (63 rush, 3 rec, 1 TD) 2 fumb -4

Wk15(SEA) = 18 fantasy points (91 rush, 36 rec, 1 TD)

wk16(SFO) = 11 fantasy points (108 rush, 11 rec, 0 TD)

wk17(ATL) = 33 fantasy points (161 rush, 54 rec, 2 TD)

Ironically, the two teams he scored 30+ points are not on their schedule this year. It may have just worked out that he was injured for 4 really soft opponents 2 years in a row so we missed 4 huge games each year.

first off lets chalk last years injury to a hold out. if u use sj39.com and pretty much any site ull see he's ridiculously motivated. now you say he's missed huge games? well if ur a good owner, u understand injuries happen and u make the playoffs. the past 2 years combined, his "injury" years, in weeks 13-17 these are his totals:

10 games played, 217 carries, 887 rushing yards, 31 receptions, 266 recieving yards, 7 total touchdowns.

the key stat to me, the rams were 1-9 in those games. now are the rams bad? obviously. but they are improved. and they have 5-6 wins in them this year, which means even more rushes for jackson. and one of those games, my 2007 championship week 16 was at the steelers, who he had 106 total yards and a td. in 2008 he had 119 total yards in the championship. the only concern is injury. my prediction is that he's healthy. and when that happens, everyone will feel stupid for passing up on him.

first off lets chalk last years injury to a hold out. if u use sj39.com and pretty much any site ull see he's ridiculously motivated. now you say he's missed huge games? well if ur a good owner, u understand injuries happen and u make the playoffs. the past 2 years combined, his "injury" years, in weeks 13-17 these are his totals:

10 games played, 217 carries, 887 rushing yards, 31 receptions, 266 recieving yards, 7 total touchdowns.

the key stat to me, the rams were 1-9 in those games. now are the rams bad? obviously. but they are improved. and they have 5-6 wins in them this year, which means even more rushes for jackson. and one of those games, my 2007 championship week 16 was at the steelers, who he had 106 total yards and a td. in 2008 he had 119 total yards in the championship. the only concern is injury. my prediction is that he's healthy. and when that happens, everyone will feel stupid for passing up on him.

thats not a shot at anyone in particular, im just sayin i personally never draft with the worry of byes or injuries or anything involved. infact i always trade for injured players because their value is lower. most people who are on these forums know what they are donig, so some silly thought of injury shudnt bother them, because you should have a ton of backup options in place anyways. for instance, when jackson went down last year, i used mewlede moore.

what are you going to chalk his past injuries to? he's played all 16 games only 1 time his entire 5 year career... there's no doubt that sjax is highly productive when he actually plays, but spinning his health issues into something acceptable is irrational at best...

I think points per game are a lot more important then total points over a season. You can play you back ups in the weeks guys miss and be just fine. Add an average #3 RB's production to Jackson's for the 4 games he missed and he's still pretty damn close to the elite level if not there.

I think the 70 million $ they spent on Brown and Smith will upgrade the O line. I'm sitting at 8 and I know that the guys in my draft tomorrow that are sitting at 5-7 dont really like him. I think I might take a chance on him.

Archived