Complete List: http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/82/nominees.html

Visual Effects

"Avatar" Joe Letteri, Stephen Rosenbaum, Richard Baneham and Andrew R. Jones

"District 9" Dan Kaufman, Peter Muyzers, Robert Habros and Matt Aitken

"Star Trek" Roger Guyett, Russell Earl, Paul Kavanagh and Burt Dalton

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

"District 9" Written by Neill Blomkamp and Terri Tatchell

"An Education" Screenplay by Nick Hornby

"In the Loop" Screenplay by Jesse Armstrong, Simon Blackwell, Armando Iannucci, Tony Roche

"Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire" Screenplay by Geoffrey Fletcher

"Up in the Air" Screenplay by Jason Reitman and Sheldon Turner

Writing (Original Screenplay)

"The Hurt Locker" Written by Mark Boal

"Inglourious Basterds" Written by Quentin Tarantino

"The Messenger" Written by Alessandro Camon & Oren Moverman

"A Serious Man" Written by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen

"Up" Screenplay by Bob Peterson, Pete Docter, Story by Pete Docter, Bob Peterson, Tom McCarthy

Actor in a Leading Role

Jeff Bridges in "Crazy Heart"

George Clooney in "Up in the Air"

Colin Firth in "A Single Man"

Morgan Freeman in "Invictus"

Jeremy Renner in "The Hurt Locker"

Actor in a Supporting Role

Matt Damon in "Invictus"

Woody Harrelson in "The Messenger"

Christopher Plummer in "The Last Station"

Stanley Tucci in "The Lovely Bones"

Christoph Waltz in "Inglourious Basterds"

Actress in a Leading Role

Sandra Bullock in "The Blind Side"

Helen Mirren in "The Last Station"

Carey Mulligan in "An Education"

Gabourey Sidibe in "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire"

Meryl Streep in "Julie & Julia"

Actress in a Supporting Role

Penélope Cruz in "Nine"

Vera Farmiga in "Up in the Air"

Maggie Gyllenhaal in "Crazy Heart"

Anna Kendrick in "Up in the Air"

Mo'Nique in "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire"

Directing

"Avatar" James Cameron

"The Hurt Locker" Kathryn Bigelow

"Inglourious Basterds" Quentin Tarantino

"Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire" Lee Daniels

"Up in the Air" Jason Reitman

Best Picture

"Avatar" James Cameron and Jon Landau, Producers

"The Blind Side" Nominees to be determined

"District 9" Peter Jackson and Carolynne Cunningham, Producers

"An Education" Finola Dwyer and Amanda Posey, Producers

"The Hurt Locker" Nominees to be determined

"Inglourious Basterds" Lawrence Bender, Producer

"Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire" Lee Daniels, Sarah Siegel-Magness and Gary Magness, Producers

"A Serious Man" Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, Producers

"Up" Jonas Rivera, Producer

"Up in the Air" Daniel Dubiecki, Ivan Reitman and Jason Reitman, Producers

Wow, 10 nominees for best picture. I have yet to see all 10 but right off the bat, my vote goes to District 9. Superb writing, performances, action, & effects.

Wow, 10 nominees for best picture. I have yet to see all 10 but right off the bat, my vote goes to District 9. Superb writing, performances, action, & effects.

It's a ratings grab. The more pictures that are in the running (and you'll note the wide variety of films tabbed), the more people likely to tune in and see if their favorite gets picked.

It'll be interesting to see how things play out between Cameron and Bigelow. The reviewer for one station here in Philly thinks they'll split the main awards - one of them will get top picture, and the other, top director.

It's a ratings grab. The more pictures that are in the running (and you'll note the wide variety of films tabbed), the more people likely to tune in and see if their favorite gets picked.

It'll be interesting to see how things play out between Cameron and Bigelow. The reviewer for one station here in Philly thinks they'll split the main awards - one of them will get top picture, and the other, top director.

Kathryn Bigelow just won best director from the Director's Guild of America, & 8 out of the past 10 DGA winners went on to win the Oscar for Best Director. She is also James Cameron's ex-wife, so I'm sure there will be some kind of rivalry-gossip type stories leading up to the Oscars.

• Root Admin
Kathryn Bigelow just won best director from the Director's Guild of America, & 8 out of the past 10 DGA winners went on to win the Oscar for Best Director. She is also James Cameron's ex-wife, so I'm sure there will be some kind of rivalry-gossip type stories leading up to the Oscars.

Gotta think Bigelow will win Best Director. Oscar's love to reward "more serious" subject matter, besides Cameron's won one already and sometimes there can be a bit of backlash. She is very deserving and if your laying odds as to who would be back one day, you gotta think this may be Bigelow's best chance. I think 'Avatar' will win best picture though, which is sort of odd. Lot of good story lines. Will "The Dude" continue his award season sweep over Clooney? (yes) Does the Academy give Bullock her Oscar in a fairly commercial film or go with the smaller performance of Cary Mulligan or even give Meryl Strep her billionth award? Can then stage handle Mo'Nique when she wins best supporting actress? How strange will Christopher Waltz' speech be? Does any other nominee bother to show up for any of the technical awards (visual effects, sound editing, etc.) other then 'Avatar'?

Precisely!

Gotta think Bigelow will win Best Director. Oscar's love to reward "more serious" subject matter, besides Cameron's won one already and sometimes there can be a bit of backlash. She is very deserving and if your laying odds as to who would be back one day, you gotta think this may be Bigelow's best chance. I think 'Avatar' will win best picture though, which is sort of odd. Lot of good story lines. Will "The Dude" continue his award season sweep over Clooney? (yes) Does the Academy give Bullock her Oscar in a fairly commercial film or go with the smaller performance of Cary Mulligan or even give Meryl Strep her billionth award? Can then stage handle Mo'Nique when she wins best supporting actress? How strange will Christopher Waltz' speech be? Does any other nominee bother to show up for any of the technical awards (visual effects, sound editing, etc.) other then 'Avatar'?

The same reviewer I mentioned earlier says that he thinks Mirren is "fabulous" in Last Station, and could be a factor.

Does "Up in the Air" go 0/6 in the majors?.....it looks like it might. Adapted Screenplay seems like its best chance.

Another question could be, if District 9 wins for Adapted Screenplay, is anybody going to acknowledge the French film that predated Blomkamps' short film that dicussed similar themes and had a similar title?

The same reviewer I mentioned earlier says that he thinks Mirren is "fabulous" in Last Station, and could be a factor.

Does "Up in the Air" go 0/6 in the majors?.....it looks like it might. Adapted Screenplay seems like its best chance.

Another question could be, if District 9 wins for Adapted Screenplay, is anybody going to acknowledge the French film that predated Blomkamps' short film that dicussed similar themes and had a similar title?

Which French film? District 13? I'd say the plots are completely different.

Which French film? District 13? I'd say the plots are completely different.

District 9 is a sci-fi thriller set in 2010 South Africa with a plot that centers around social segregation, racism, and involved the relocation of refugees from a Johannesburg slum.

District 13 was an action thriller set in 2013 Paris with a plot that centers around social segregation, racism, and involved the planned extermination of a Parisian slum.

Yes, the specific names, plots, locales of each film are different, and I'm not accusing anyone of stealing from others, but they are similar. In the thread about District 9, I posted a link to a review that suggested as much: http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment..._district9.html

District 9 is a sci-fi thriller set in 2010 South Africa with a plot that centers around social segregation, racism, and involved the relocation of refugees from a Johannesburg slum.

District 13 was an action thriller set in 2013 Paris with a plot that centers around social segregation, racism, and involved the planned extermination of a Parisian slum.

Yes, the specific names, plots, locales of each film are different, and I'm not accusing anyone of stealing from others, but they are similar. In the thread about District 9, I posted a link to a review that suggested as much: http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment..._district9.html

I enjoyed District 13 quite a bit actually, but it's just nothing at all like District 9. The plot in District 13 doesn't focus on those themes (social segregation, racism) at all. Any similarities are superficial at best. I'm sorry but I don't think the reviewer in the link has actually seen these movies. District 13 is a cool popcorn action flick that really centers around impressive special effects-free a$$ kicking.

You're right....but what surprised me was how many 'mainstream' movies are nominated seemingly across the board. I'm not a big movie guy, but it was always a turnoff when I would see the list of nominated movies and only recognize one or two movies. This almost looks more like a People's Choice nominee list than a traditional Oscars list (thank goodness its not, since the Twilight clowns have no place near any non-MTV awards show).

You're right....but what surprised me was how many 'mainstream' movies are nominated seemingly across the board. I'm not a big movie guy, but it was always a turnoff when I would see the list of nominated movies and only recognize one or two movies. This almost looks more like a People's Choice nominee list than a traditional Oscars list (thank goodness its not, since the Twilight clowns have no place near any non-MTV awards show).

Kinda makes you wonder if this is the year that Oscar goes home with the popular kids.

Oscar's going back to High School! B)

Does the Academy give Bullock her Oscar in a fairly commercial film or go with the smaller performance of Cary Mulligan or even give Meryl Strep her billionth award?

Meryl Streep has only won one (1) Best Actress Oscars.

MOST NOTABLE LOSSES:

Katherine Hepburn- who openly and irrationally despised Streep for reasons only her own bitter old arse could rationalize- won for "On Golden Pond" over Streep's defining turn in "The French Lieutenant's Woman". Hepburn was solid, but the Academy was being sentimental. I think her role in "Pond" was as much of a stretch for Hepburn as Weird Al's role in "The Naked Gun" was for him.

Cher won a freaking Oscar for "Moonstruck", beating out Streep ("Ironweed"). Moonstruck was a fun (tho overrated) film, but AYFKM? Cher's accent goes from Bonx-Italian, to Brooklyn-Jew, to West-Side-Story-Faux-Puerto-Rican-Extra in that movie.

Jodie Foster won for playing the rape victim in "The Accused". I'm a big fan of Jodie's, always have been. But Streep was incredible in "A Cry In The Dark". Amazing. When discussing fine acting performances people still talk about her performance in that film to this day (not to mention any time the topic of dingoes eating babies is broached).

Kate Winslet, whom I adore, couldn't touch the brilliance of Streep as Sister Aloysius in "Doubt". F*cking jawdropping. No hyperbole there. Just f*cking brilliant. Anyone who attended a Catholic Parochial school pre-mid-1970's both recognized and flinched at the sight of Streep's principal. Winslet was better in "Revolutionary Road" anyway.

Unlike last year I haven't seen this crop of performances. But Streep probably won't win. Again.

Unlike last year I haven't seen this crop of performances. But Streep probably won't win. Again.

It seems like Bullock has the unstoppable momentum, but people loved Julia Child, and from those whom I've spoken to who have seen the movie, once they got past the unsufferable character played by Amy Adams, they really liked the flick.

My guess is that Best Actress comes down to these two.

Oscar's going back to High School! B)

Why not? The Grammy's have. :)

This year's Grammy's actually made me pine for the days when Jethro Tull won- THE HEAVY METAL category.

(Nothing says "Metal" like a middle aged man playing a flute.)

• Root Admin

Meryl Streep has only won one (1) Best Actress Oscars.

MOST NOTABLE LOSSES:

Katherine Hepburn- who openly and irrationally despised Streep for reasons only her own bitter old arse could rationalize- won for "On Golden Pond" over Streep's defining turn in "The French Lieutenant's Woman". Hepburn was solid, but the Academy was being sentimental. I think her role in "Pond" was as much of a stretch for Hepburn as Weird Al's role in "The Naked Gun" was for him.

Cher won a freaking Oscar for "Moonstruck", beating out Streep ("Ironweed"). Moonstruck was a fun (tho overrated) film, but AYFKM? Cher's accent goes from Bonx-Italian, to Brooklyn-Jew, to West-Side-Story-Faux-Puerto-Rican-Extra in that movie.

Jodie Foster won for playing the rape victim in "The Accused". I'm a big fan of Jodie's, always have been. But Streep was incredible in "A Cry In The Dark". Amazing. When discussing fine acting performances people still talk about her performance in that film to this day (not to mention any time the topic of dingoes eating babies is broached).

Kate Winslet, whom I adore, couldn't touch the brilliance of Streep as Sister Aloysius in "Doubt". F*cking jawdropping. No hyperbole there. Just f*cking brilliant. Anyone who attended a Catholic Parochial school pre-mid-1970's both recognized and flinched at the sight of Streep's principal. Winslet was better in "Revolutionary Road" anyway.

Yea, pretty amazing she didn't win for "A Cry In The Dark" or "Out of Africa" or "Doubt". Amazingly, she has 2 wins and 16 total Oscar nominations. 25 Golden Globe nominations. It's really remarkable considering there are more movies made today then ever. Ridiculous.

Though it doesn't help that Streep was nominated for an otherwise terrible film this year. Total mainstream shlock, that Julie & Julia.

only thing im pissed off about is the visual fx category, how district 9 got in over 2012 boggles the mind. its freakin shameful.

i wont be watching the awards anyway, the whole thing is rigged crap.

only thing im pissed off about is the visual fx category, how district 9 got in over 2012 boggles the mind. its freakin shameful.

Actually, I believe District 9 deserves to win the visual effects category. Yes, even over Avatar. The level of CGI in District 9 was so impressive, I thought some of the aliens had to be animatronics, but they weren't. In my opinion, District 9 was the best use of CGI since Gollum in The Lord of the Rings.

Ha..2012? Those effects were awful.

Best Picture

"A Serious Man" Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, Producers

I eagerly await the DVD release of A Serious Man. I'm typically a big fan of films by the Coen brothers (Raising Arizona, The Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art thou). And I must say I love the odd trailer (constant audio of the head banging, loogie hocking, & more). Obviously, A Serious Man has minus zero chance to win Best Picture, but I still can't wait to see it.

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/a-serious-man/trailer

Actually, I believe District 9 deserves to win the visual effects category. Yes, even over Avatar. The level of CGI in District 9 was so impressive, I thought some of the aliens had to be animatronics, but they weren't. In my opinion, District 9 was the best use of CGI since Gollum in The Lord of the Rings.

Have you seen Avatar?

Yes. I thought it was just okay. I did not love it. Heresy, I know.

I love Barbara Heresy.

Don't know what she has to do with Avatar, tho.

Ha..2012? Those effects were awful.

i do vfx for a living. the people at my studio have been talking about this ridiculousness since the nominations were announced. everyone that i know in the industry thinks the fact that 2012 didnt at least get a nomination is outrageous. 2012 was the most innovative vfx film of 2010 PERIOD. not even avatar had more innovations than 2012. yes avatar was a better movie than 2012, and so was d-9. but best vfx isnt about which movie is better, its about which movie had the best, most innovative vfx. there was absolutely no innovation in d-9. NONE. it was all stuff that we've seen before. we do more sophisticated stuff in commercials these days. For 2012, Digital Domain had to completely redesign their rigid body engine & Scanline was dealing with rendering 6 terabytes of data for the gigantic fluid sims! never before has there been destruction on such a massive level as in 2012. the sim work for that movie was absolutely mind boggling. it completely raised the bar on fx heavy films.

so to nominate d-9 over 2012?! it's ridiculous!

Archived