NBC Sports EDGE Forums

John Jaso (Jingleheimer Schmidt) Regular Season 2010

BMcP

Ok, a little surprised that I couldn't find a thread on this guy. Yes, exceedingly small sample size, but in 22 AB, this guy's struck out exactly once and walked nine times. Not to mention he already has a HR and 10 RBI - as well as Maddon's vote of confidence, no competition (other than a dead-in-the-water Navarro for the time being) and the benefit of hitting in the hottest lineup in the majors. He's always had an excellent OBP and as long as he continues exhibiting the patience and superior batting eye he's shown thus far, he will put up stats. Yes, part of it could be that there just isn't a book on him yet, and I have a suspicion he won't be able to maintain the .454 BA all season, but couldn't this be quite a valuable gem off the wire for the catcher-challenged?

Thoughts anyone?

If he gets major playing time then he is worth owning in all leagues. A .280 hitter who walks is gold on a team that scores 10+ runs a game

The problem is when Shoppach returns, it's likely going back to Shoppach/Navarro.

Jaso's biggest asset is his bat - above-average power for a C, decent contact skills. His D is pretty sub-par - and a major reason why he's not been seen as the C of the future (Rays went over slot to draft their C of the future, Luke Bailey). Owners should enjoy the hot streak, and his skills are legit bat-wise - but assuming Shoppach & Navarro return to full health, it figures to be a temporary stint. Might make him trade bait to other MLB teams that need a C, however, so worth watching.

+ the Rays are 7-0 when Jaso is the starting catcher, winning by an average of 5.7 runs.

Right now, though, with the way the Rays are going offensively and their rotation, I think Sal Butera could catch and produce the same run differential from a D-skills perspective, though. Given the Rays' emphasis on solid D, that's his main long-term obstacle.

What do you make of this article, RRF? (Basically pointing out that Jaso's defensive deficiencies are likely more than outweighed by his bat)

http://www.draysbay.com/2010/4/26/1444051/...jaso-a-story-of

Also, there's no guarantee that Shoppach will return and stay healthy after surgery, right? And at the very least, it will be another month before he does.

What do you make of this article, RRF? (Basically pointing out that Jaso's defensive deficiencies are likely more than outweighed by his bat)

http://www.draysbay.com/2010/4/26/1444051/...jaso-a-story-of

Also, there's no guarantee that Shoppach will return and stay healthy after surgery, right? And at the very least, it will be another month before he does.

I am in NO WAY saying they are exactly the same - but Maddon and Scioscia's philosophies in some areas are very similar (I bring up Scioscia because Maddon learned the managing side with the Halos). In that respect, solid D is a HUGE requirement for Maddon. I agree with the premise his bat is solid - it's just that the Rays do emphasize D as a necessity. Really, Jaso has been ready bat-wise since last season to help - the fact they went out to get Shoppach speaks volumes about how they feel about his future. If he can keep up this hot streak, and Shoppach/Navarro are set to return - then the Rays have an additional trade chip to use to bolster their team for a title run (and the way they're going now, it's 2010 all the way focus-wise for the FO).

As for Shoppach, you are indeed correct - it's too early to say. So that is one ray of hope (I couldn't resist).

Love that you used Jingleheimer in the thread title. Was going to pick him up and name my team that.

Great minds...

I'm definitely intrigued, but in a max move league I'll just stick with Mike Crapoli if Jaso won't be playing much soon.

From all of what I have read he has made significant strides with his defensive game. Something about a 3 week program he went through this Spring Training to get him used to his defensive responsibilites. David Price, who didn't like Jaso's pitch calling/presence behind the plate at first, has warmed up to him. And Maddon has been really impressed with his defense during this stretch. So while, yes, his defense has been suspect in previous years it sounds like he has made significant adjustments so I don't think you can still use the "defensive liability" angle any more.

Its all here: http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/apr/27/27...n-impression-s/

B) Thanks, guys - here all week!

And thanks for keeping the feedback coming - I tend to agree it's tough to pull the trigger in a max-moves league, but I'd say at this point he definitely merits a trial run unless you're overwhelmed with your current C.

Good point about Maddon's take on D - have to see if he can continue to show progress, or at least continue to get a chance to do so.

I've always kind of liked him. His bat has been well regarded for awhile but his defense was not (that seems better now) and he hasn't always been the most durable of guys. But getting ABs in that lineup makes him interesting and guys with his kind of plate discipline seem like they tend to be the ones who surprise. I have him stashed as a prospect in my league.

Have my last move of the week and don't want to burn it.

How much longer is he starting for sure?

For anyone on the fence with Jaso, let me share how I ended up with him. I am in the WCOFB (world championship of fantasy baseball). There are 14 teams in each league and each team starts 2 catchers...so obviously some teams are fielding some pretty crappy catchers. I drafted Shoppach. Then he got hurt and it was clear Navarro would get the bulk of the starts. So I added Navarro. But it would seem that Navarro is completely worthless. Every Ray fan I have heard from says he is garbage and they are all fired up for Jaso. Jaso has obviously been lights out. The 9 walks to 1 K is really what I am loving the most. With an OBP of 600+ I would say he has bought himself at least a month or so of starting duty(Navarro as the only other option helps). If he can add to what he has already done, starter the rest of the way. Add all the hits and rbi's he has had in this very small sample size and its pretty exciting. I could see Navarro getting at least 1 start over the weekend but I think that will be more a product of Jaso needing a day off. He has played A LOT of games in a row at this point.

Bottom line: I am in a high stakes league, nabbed Jaso for $40 of my $1000 off the waiver wire, and am feeling better about it by the day.

PS: If he keeps producing like this, he might even be in line for some DH duties when he is getting a day off from catching.

the fact they went out to get Shoppach speaks volumes about how they feel about his future

I think getting Shoppach speaks more about how they view Dioner's bat than how they view Jaso's D, and starting Jaso over Dioner on the night Navarro was back from suspension showed that Maddon was less worried about Jaso's supposed deficient D and more about his run-producing potential. Maddon even said so himself in an interview that he started Jaso because Jaso was hot. I have also read about how Maddon and the other coaches believe Jaso has made significant strides with his game-calling and receiving abilities. He was really framing some pitches very nicely last night, and Garza seemed to waive off FAR LESS pitch calls from Jaso than he usually does with Dioner. And frankly, I'm not sure why anyone believes Dioner's D is any great shucks. His CS% and other defensive metrics have always been sub par (that said, Jaso's are, currently, worse). Dioner hurts you so badly at the dish, and his D is not strong enough to make up for that in my opinion.

I think getting Shoppach speaks more about how they view Dioner's bat than how they view Jaso's D, and starting Jaso over Dioner on the night Navarro was back from suspension showed that Maddon was less worried about Jaso's supposed deficient D and more about his run-producing potential. Maddon even said so himself in an interview that he started Jaso because Jaso was hot. I have also read about how Maddon and the other coaches believe Jaso has made significant strides with his game-calling and receiving abilities. He was really framing some pitches very nicely last night, and Garza seemed to waive off FAR LESS pitch calls from Jaso than he usually does with Dioner. And frankly, I'm not sure why anyone believes Dioner's D is any great shucks. His CS% and other defensive metrics have always been sub par (that said, Jaso's are, currently, worse). Dioner hurts you so badly at the dish, and his D is not strong enough to make up for that in my opinion.

Believe me, I'm not a Navarro supporter - it's Shoppach who's the primary obstacle. The belief that Jaso will get the majority of PT until Shoppach returns is more than reasonable. Once Shoppach is back, though - assuming he's healthy, the PT goes way down, or worse, demotion time. I just caution heralding him more than a 1-month play, that's all. In deep leagues, worth a look at WW prices - just keep in mind his future isn't that clear once Shoppach returns.

Believe me, I'm not a Navarro supporter - it's Shoppach who's the primary obstacle. The belief that Jaso will get the majority of PT until Shoppach returns is more than reasonable. Once Shoppach is back, though - assuming he's healthy, the PT goes way down, or worse, demotion time. I just caution heralding him more than a 1-month play, that's all. In deep leagues, worth a look at WW prices - just keep in mind his future isn't that clear once Shoppach returns.

When is Shoppach planning to return?

Next week when I have my 4 moves free, I'll definitely jump. Nothing like grabbing a hot player who is playing for his life.

When is Shoppach planning to return?

Next week when I have my 4 moves free, I'll definitely jump. Nothing like grabbing a hot player who is playing for his life.

They said 4-6 weeks on April 19 when he had the surgery.

So at least a month going by that. Plus I would think he would have some rehab assignments before he came back so maybe more like 6 weeks from now.

Yes, agreed absolutely.

This guy has certainly caught my eye in OBP H2H league. I guess I view anyone potentially adding the guy probably doesn't have the greatest catcher on their roster so it matters little if his PT is dependent long term when Shoppach comes back. Ride the hot bat and worry about June when it comes. By then Carlos Santana or Posey might be up and you can move on to the next guy.

The problem is when Shoppach returns, it's likely going back to Shoppach/Navarro.

Jaso's biggest asset is his bat - above-average power for a C, decent contact skills. His D is pretty sub-par - and a major reason why he's not been seen as the C of the future (Rays went over slot to draft their C of the future, Luke Bailey). Owners should enjoy the hot streak, and his skills are legit bat-wise - but assuming Shoppach & Navarro return to full health, it figures to be a temporary stint. Might make him trade bait to other MLB teams that need a C, however, so worth watching.

Right now, though, with the way the Rays are going offensively and their rotation, I think Sal Butera could catch and produce the same run differential from a D-skills perspective, though. Given the Rays' emphasis on solid D, that's his main long-term obstacle.

Omidog I cannot believe I read that.

First BMcP's awesome "Camp Song" inspired nickname and then you sneak this into post #5. B) These references alone make this thread of the year.

(BTW- No, I don't think so. I think that would be like having an NL Pitcher DH. A real weak hitting NL Pitcher. Lincecum first year weak.)

Omidog I cannot believe I read that.

First BMcP's awesome "Camp Song" inspired nickname and then you sneak this into post #5. B) These references alone make this thread of the year.

(BTW- No, I don't think so. I think that would be like having an NL Pitcher DH. A real weak hitting NL Pitcher. Lincecum first year weak.)

We do our best to remember waaaay back when. :)

As for Jaso, definitely want to see him play Sunday vs. Greinke. Will start watching him more closely D-wise tomorrow (in-laws in tonight, missing Price sigh).

Archived