NBC Sports EDGE Forums

John Jaso (Jingleheimer Schmidt) Regular Season 2010

BMcP

As laughable as Napoli owners worrying about Mathis' playing time?

Nope, Scoscia hates Napoli with a burning passion, Maddon has already made it clear he likes Jaso and will play him if he produces.

Shoppach, even when he hit 20 home runs a couple seasons ago, struggled to even get part-time at bats. He's a decent power hitter, but a pretty bad hitter overall.

I picked him up Sunday night.

Off day for Rays yesterday.

Now, he's not in the starting lineup for tonight's game vs Seattle.

FML.

I just can't seem to escape the pissy mood Russell Martin has managed to put me in so far at my catcher position.

B)

I picked him up Sunday night.

Off day for Rays yesterday.

Now, he's not in the starting lineup for tonight's game vs Seattle.

FML.

I just can't seem to escape the pissy mood Russell Martin has managed to put me in so far at my catcher position.

B)

And unfortunately he faces 3 more lefties in a row after tonight. I'm expecting him to sit those out as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice game tonight : 3/4, 2B, BB, 2 R, 2 RBI

The 32-12 Rays went with Jaso in the 3 spot(!) today and he responded with 2-4 with a HR, a triple, 4 RBIs and a walk for good measure. The Rays ended up winning a tough back and forth game against the Astros. Jaso is now batting .349 with 2 HR and 18 RBI through 63 ABs. His BB/K is 15/6.

The 32-12 Rays went with Jaso in the 3 spot(!) today and he responded with 2-4 with a HR, a triple, 4 RBIs and a walk for good measure. The Rays ended up winning a tough back and forth game against the Astros. Jaso is now batting .349 with 2 HR and 18 RBI through 63 ABs. His BB/K is 15/6.

+1

They rested Longoria today and as mentioned previously, Maddon likes playing the hot bats (especially in the 3-hole?), is this a vote of confidence that if he can continue to produce, we might be seeing a Jaso/Shoppach timeshare when Kelly returns? I'd like to be optimistic that Jaso can hold down the job and get a majority of PT just with his bat. Hitting 3rd in the lineup "speaks volumes" if you ask me. Even if you're leading the division by 5 1/2 games on a Sunday.

When Jaso was hot the first time, I was about to pick him up as my 2nd catcher until I saw that he was about to face 5 or 6 lefties the next week. I'm sure that coincides with the 1-7 stat line. Since that week has passed, he's resumed hitting. Just picked him up for week 8. Obviously he won't be hitting 3rd, but i agree ... what a vote of confidence. Better yet, he did not disappoint in the slot. Should garner more ABs especially since Maddon has been touting his defensive improvement which was considered an area of weakness in Spring Training. (Even threw out Pence tonight).

Hoping he rocks week 8. I could use some help with Posada riding the DL.

They had this guy in the 5 hole last night, and apparently Maddon likes him there, and there might be a chance that he stays there if he keeps producing. I'm just not sure about the playing time share when shoppach comes back plus they already have navvaro, but i hope he sticks in the 5 spot and continues to produce like he has been. Anyone else think he sticks????

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ciderjack6

If Navarro is out you've got a potentially ridiculous platoon at catcher...

Shoppach: .298/.388/.613 vs LHP B)

Jaso: .317/.418/.427 vs RHP (small sample size, but great plate discipline)

Combine them and you get an amazing .312/.410/.478 line from your catcher

Archived