NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Andy Oliver Regular Season 2010

BMcP

This kid is looking very good so far - more than held his own against the top offense in the NL last week (ATL) and showing remarkable poise, command and velocity in his second start @MIN. What I'm most impressed with is reduced reliance on the FB and the confidence to throw CB/SL in any count.

Any chance he sticks? If so, any thoughts on projections? Thanks!

its still early to judge, and even though atlanta has been hot, I'm not sure I'd call them the top offense in the NL. I'd like to see if he can repeat the performance at least a couple more times before I start getting excited about him.

The kid is very young and very unseasoned. This season is his first in the majors, but it was also his first in the minors, which means he was brought up extremely quick, most likely too quick. especially for a guy initially drafted in the 17th round. His minor league stats may look decent, but really considering he's only pitched in AA, they're not that impressive.

so like i said, reserve judgment, just for a little while.

Like him a ton. Throws wicked hard from the left side. His breaking pitches look pretty sharp although a bit inconsistent.

He has an awesome fastball. I think he has ace potential. Not sure how many innings he'll throw this year or whether he will stick in the rotation. Good pick up in keeper leagues.

Like him a ton. Throws wicked hard from the left side. His breaking pitches look pretty sharp although a bit inconsistent.

He has an awesome fastball. I think he has ace potential. Not sure how many innings he'll throw this year or whether he will stick in the rotation. Good pick up in keeper leagues.

i agree, he definitely has ace potential, I just kind of doubt we'll see it this year. Next year though, he could be a very good sleeper.

I like Oliver a lot long term; his stuff is legit. His immediate longevity in the rotation is pretty much in his hands considering Porcello got knocked around in his second AAA start and there aren't any other MLB-ready in-house alternatives with anything that approaches Oliver's upside. If Oliver keeps pitching like he did his first couple outings, I like his chances to stay in the rotation at least until the trade deadline when the Tigers might make a move to bring a veteran in. That's also about the time they'll probably look to pull back on Oliver's innings by moving him to the bullpen or back to the minors.

Archived