NBC Sports Edge Forums

Richard Jefferson 2010 Offseason Outlook

gsw

Same thing as everyone else. They are all running scared about the new collective bargaining agreement. With so much cap space floating around, he'll probably get a better 5 year deal than he would if he waited. He's had a rough couple of years, but he is young enough to get a 5 year deal. I'll bet he ends up somewhere around 40 million.

If he has another dreary year in SA, his value could drop much lower than that.

some explain what the new "collective bargaining agreement" is to us lay peoples.

please.

The contract between the players and the teams that govern contract lengths, maximum salaries, minimum salaries, and all sorts of other stuff.

He'll probably end up getting the MLE. Which I guess isn't that bad, 5 years at $6.5m each is better than 1 year at 15, then 0 years at $0m.

What makes you think he'll get 0 years after this season?

Honestly, I think it is a big mistake for RJ to give up 15 million guaranteed. He will never sniff anything close to that again. If he does indeed sign the MLE, it will take him two and a half years to make back that 15 million. The time value of money says no! Of course, I doubt many of these guys invest their money too wisely...

i remember earlier in the season he said he didn't deserve the money he was getting for the way he was playing within the system. this seems like a move where he wants to win or help his team win, not about guaranteed money. so we all complain and moan when athletes skip out on training camps and always take the money...but maybe RJ deserves a small golf clap here? we'll see what happens but there's no way he's up for $15 mill again.

Honestly, I think it is a big mistake for RJ to give up 15 million guaranteed. He will never sniff anything close to that again. If he does indeed sign the MLE, it will take him two and a half years to make back that 15 million. The time value of money says no! Of course, I doubt many of these guys invest their money too wisely...

Well, there is risk considering how bad he looked this past season. One more year of lackluster production, PLUS a work stoppage (and subsequent financial tightening) might make it difficult for him to earn anything beyond the minimum.

I don't think RJ gets a 5 year deal. Yes, he's young enough but I don't think a teams going to commit that long to him based on how he played last year. I see him getting a 3 year deal at $5-6 Mill per season. Not a smart move in my opinion.

Well, there is risk considering how bad he looked this past season. One more year of lackluster production, PLUS a work stoppage (and subsequent financial tightening) might make it difficult for him to earn anything beyond the minimum.

Even as bad as he looked last year, he would of gotten more then the min. But isn't that a better case for him to take his 15M? I mean if he looked that bad before who the heck is going to give him a long term deal?

RJ made a mistake I think for his pocket.

Even as bad as he looked last year, he would of gotten more then the min. But isn't that a better case for him to take his 15M? I mean if he looked that bad before who the heck is going to give him a long term deal?

RJ made a mistake I think for his pocket.

I think the rationale could be like this:

"Well he had a down season last year, but maybe that was because of teammates/coaches/system/x-factor/fluke. We'll bring him in here cheaper and he'll return to form."

versus

"Well, he's had two bad seasons in a row. I don't think we can trust him."

What kind of deal do we see out of RJ now? Maybe 4 years 28M?

That pretty much saying his next 3 yeats after this current one is worth 3 years and 12.5M. does RJ think that low of himself?

This.

I have no idea why RJ would turn down a guaranteed 15M. Spurs management must be jumping for joy right now...

• 4 weeks later...

Shadiest deal ever. He opts out, allowing the Spurs to get under the luxury tax and sign Tiago Splitter without consequence. No other team was going to sign him for that money. I smell collusion.

Shadiest deal ever. He opts out, allowing the Spurs to get under the luxury tax and sign Tiago Splitter without consequence. No other team was going to sign him for that money. I smell collusion.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. The Spurs had to give him some kind of assurance for him to walk away from that type of guaranteed money.

Archived