NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Sweet Lou retires

LarryChip10

Per Rotoworld...

Lou Piniella will step down as manager of the Cubs after Sunday's game due to the declining health of his mother.

Piniella was set to retire at the end of the season, anyway, but it's a shame to see him go out like this. Piniella's reign in Chicago obviously didn't go as he had hoped, but he's had a nice managerial career that includes a World Series championship with the Reds in 1990. Third base coach Mike Quade, not bench coach Alan Trammell, will manage the team for the rest of the season. Quade will be considered for the full-time job after the season, along with Triple-A manager Ryne Sandberg and a host of other candidates. Aug. 22 - 11:54 am et

My heart goes out to him; I recently lost my grandmother somewhat unexpectedly and would have loved to have had more

time with her.

It's a shame he'll have to manage his last game like this.

Today, I'll be a Cubs fan

Thank you sweet sweet baby Jesus, my prayers have been answered. A long overdue retirement from a washed-up old man, a great day for the Chicago Cubs and baseball fans in general.

Not that his successor will be any better but that team needs something to bring them back to respectability, they don't even try to win anymore. They are absolutely passionless, it pains me to watch 9 innings of MLB talent with AA desire and that culture is derived directly from management. Hopefully it brings about a change for the better in that joke of a clubhouse.

Great career for old Lou but this needed to happen. Enjoy the golden years Mr. Piniella.

Thank you sweet sweet baby Jesus, my prayers have been answered. A long overdue retirement from a washed-up old man, a great day for the Chicago Cubs and baseball fans in general.

Not that his successor will be any better but that team needs something to bring them back to respectability, they don't even try to win anymore. They are absolutely passionless, it pains me to watch 9 innings of MLB talent with AA desire and that culture is derived directly from management. Hopefully it brings about a change for the better in that joke of a clubhouse.

Great career for old Lou but this needed to happen. Enjoy the golden years Mr. Piniella.

That's exactly how I feel. And Lou fell into that mentality too. D. Lee mentioned that when he left the Cubs saying how much he enjoyed being there, how much he loves the fans, and thanks Chicago, but the mentality in the clubhouse was like they just expect to lose every game. The new owners have a different approach then the Trib, saying that the mentality by the organization has been "Isn't it fun to come out and watch a game?" when the mentality should be "Isn't it fun to come out and see the Cubs win a game?" Couldn't agree more. Trading D. Lee (and hopefully more in the off season) is a solid step forward to break out.

Archived