NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ty Lawson 2010-2011

Ty Lawsome

Link

PG Ty Lawson

What a difference a year makes. Lawson is an extremely confident player going into his second season and it shows in his game. He is not afraid to look for his shot, has a fantastic grasp on the system and is playing fast because of it…. and he was already fast.

"Last year I was just kind of star struck, playing with Chauncey (Billups) and (Carmelo Anthony) and other people on the court," Lawson said. "I was kind of hesitant to shoot. But now I realize I'm as good as them, so I might as well take my opportunity. I can shoot the ball well. I've been working on it in the summer, so I might as well shoot it."

As you can tell from my name, I'm probably slightly biased....but that quote has me really excited for this season from Lawson. The one knock I had on him last year was that he wasn't as aggressive as he should have been, and deferred way too much. It was only when Chauncey or Melo were out that he would really just play his game, and he ended up averaging 17/6 (57/39/77) as a starter in 8 games. Beyond that, there weren't really any flaws in his game.

Now this year, with Melo likely out of town and Billups a year older, the opportunities should only increase. Add in confidence and aggressiveness? Could be a big year for the kid.

In the Nuggets' intra-squad scrimmage he had 31 points and 14 assists, and made 5 of 10 threes. I expect his minutes to get up towards the 30 per game mark this year...which could allow him to be a 12-14 ppg, 5-7 apg, 1-2 spg, on the same excellent efficiency, type of player. If Billups misses some extended time, it could be even more. In a keeper league I would be all over him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too am extremely high on this guy.

As a starter last year (as a rookie) he averaged: 17 pts / 5.9 asts / 2.9 rebs / 0.9 3's / 1.1 stls with a 56.7% FG and a 77.1% FT. Over 8 starts he averaged 31:23 mins per start.

Can he get close to 30 mins a game? If so he's going to climb the rankings super quick. He's a perpetual fast break every time he touches the ball. I'm not sure if there's a player who can dribble the ball up and down the quart faster in the NBA.

Also another thing to note about Lawson is when him and Billups were both on the court Billups moved over to SG a majority of the time to let Lawson run the point. That's how dynamic of a talent this kid is.

I have billups and am wondering how many minutes can we project for lawson per game.

Also post above... does "handcuff" mean pick him up in case of a billups trade?

Yes... but even more than that, it means you have him in case Billups goes down with an injury, making Lawson the #1 PG in Denver and a likely fantasy beast.

• 1 month later...

I dropped Toney Douglas for Lawson.

The dude's going to be a huge WW pickup at some point this season, I decided to hop on the bandwagon sooner than later. He's finding a decent amount of PT even when Melo + Chauncey play, when either of them misses a game he's a very nice play. Once they both get shipped out he's gonna be a fantasy stud. Granted, that may not be until Feb, but he's playable in the interim IMO.

While I picked him up in a few leagues, and am hoping he does well, I wouldn't be so confident.

Denver's next 4 games: Orl, SA, Min, SA.

Aside from the juicy Min matchup, the other games can go either way for Lawson.

One plus is that the first three games are all in Denver.

While I picked him up in a few leagues, and am hoping he does well, I wouldn't be so confident.

Denver's next 4 games: Orl, SA, Min, SA.

Aside from the juicy Min matchup, the other games can go either way for Lawson.

One plus is that the first three games are all in Denver.

Solid game so far tonight. It's not over yet, but he's produced. With every start he gets, I'm getting more and more excited to see what he can do once Denver decides to hand him the keys to the offense.

Lawson has just strung together 2 really nice games as a starter against 2 of the league's best teams The Magic and The Spurs.

As a starter Lawson has averaged: 15.5 pts / 5.3 asts / 2.8 rebs / 1.8 3's on 54.6% FG.

Which is substaintaly better than what Chauncey Billups has been doing this year so far. Even when Chauncey comes back, I think he takes a back seat to the Lawesome show.

Chauncey is listed as day to day with torn ligaments in his shooting hand. That doesnt' make sense to me I would think he'd be out for 6 weeks at least... I know sprains are usually 1 - 2 weeks rest, but I've read Chauncey has a torn ligament in his wrist.

As a Lawson owner, one can only hope that Billups gets the same surgery that Noah had-so he(Ty) can ball for the next 8-10 weeks. This coming from an Noah owner also. Lawson is balling again tonight, and Billups had a chance of playing tonight. Any cats out there from Denver have any news from tonight's telecast?

They are winning ball games with Ty, time to hand the keys to the car over to Ty.

The best thing about his line tonight 0 TO's

That's the best thing about Lawson in general...he's efficient all the way around. Impressive, especially considering how young he is.

Last year his shooting percentages were 52/41/76 with 1.3 turnovers. This year he got off to an unbelievably slow start shooting wise, but is still at 50/38/67 with 1.4 turnovers on the season.

As a starter, he could be a poor man's Chris Paul.

Archived