NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ty Lawson 2010-2011

Ty Lawsome

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As a starter, his projections should be

9.1 ppg 2.3 reb 4.5 ast 0.7 stl

That makes no sense. He has better numbers than that averaging less than 25 minutes. I think he would average about 15 PPG, 7 APG, and 1.2 SPG if he got 35+ minutes as the starter. I think he would be similar, numbers-wise, to Jrue Holiday in the starting lineup.

Cause it was super complicated humor. Way beyond you. Funny stuff.

The kind where most of the regular people in the comedy club are sitting there stone-faced while the guy in the back with the glasses and pocket protector is laughing so hard, he starts to make animal noises... B)

Excuse my ignorance, but what is his role going to be post-trade? Seems like Devin Harris would be the starter and hed be in muh the same position, right? People are talking about the Nuggets dealing Harris, but: 1. where would he go? and 2. How long is it before thats supposed to go down?

His role will increase either way. Just like it did in the games Melo missed in December, but Chauncey still played in. Karl loves the two PG lineup as well, and would probably do it just as much, if not more, with Harris. It's hard to say how the rotation would shake down...but Karl is a guy who likes to play "his guys." The guys he knows and trusts...and I'm willing to bet Karl is not going to favor a guy like Harris over Lawson, the same way he did with Billups, if at all. Certainly not in a rebuilding situation.

Look at it this way...the worst case scenario is him playing a little better than he is right now. The best case scenario is him putting up the type of numbers he did when he started(17/7). The risk isn't high, so if I had the shot to pick him up, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

All that's assuming Harris actually stays, which seems extremely unlikely at this point, as they're already looking to shed his long term deal for cap relief(plus assets).

Excuse my ignorance, but what is his role going to be post-trade? Seems like Devin Harris would be the starter and hed be in muh the same position, right? People are talking about the Nuggets dealing Harris, but: 1. where would he go? and 2. How long is it before thats supposed to go down?

1. Dallas want Harris back.

2. Harris makes Kevin Martin seems like the Ironman of the NBA.

Even if Harris is in Denver, Ty will play more minutes for sure and his production will be up.

His role will increase either way. Just like it did in the games Melo missed in December, but Chauncey still played in. Karl loves the two PG lineup as well, and would probably do it just as much, if not more, with Harris. It's hard to say how the rotation would shake down...but Karl is a guy who likes to play "his guys." The guys he knows and trusts...and I'm willing to bet Karl is not going to favor a guy like Harris over Lawson, the same way he did with Billups, if at all. Certainly not in a rebuilding situation.

Look at it this way...the worst case scenario is him playing a little better than he is right now. The best case scenario is him putting up the type of numbers he did when he started(17/7). The risk isn't high, so if I had the shot to pick him up, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

All that's assuming Harris actually stays, which seems extremely unlikely at this point, as they're already looking to shed his long term deal for cap relief(plus assets).

So I guess it's overs with Ty? We're down to hoping for a Billups injury at this point right?

Melo will still be traded within the next month, so Ty is still a good pickup for the second half. I would still own him right now if I could, but that's me.

Nothing against you at all, but i'm pretty sure everyone knows your stance with Lawson by looking at your name handle...

He's a deep league special. Even off the bench he's still statistically okay. But his ceiling just dropped a lot with the Pokhorov bombshell obviously.

Melo is still going to get traded. The Nets just don't want to over pay for him. Hell, it's probably just a publicity stunt anyway to get a better deal on him.

Pokhorov conveniently comes out with this press conference the day before a scheduled meeting with Carmelo? Come on give me a break. The Nets are still heavily interested in him they are just trying to play hard ball. Besides there's at least 8 other teams out there who would love to trade for Carmelo. Especially now when you see his value get deflated. Which I think was the main purpose for Pokhorov to even hold that press conference. Was to basically let them know, we gave you a good deal take it or leave it. If nothing better comes along Denver will just have to take it... There's no way The Nuggets pass up on a chance to get some kind of value for Carmelo.

Nothing against you at all, but i'm pretty sure everyone knows your stance with Lawson by looking at your name handle...

Well naturally. But I'm not a Lawson jock rider(like Kobe fans), I'm a Nuggets fan. Which means, unlike jock rider, I have the ability to objectionable about a player and the situation of my team.

People think both Melo and Billups need to be traded, and there to be no other PG on the roster, and for Lawson to start and play 40 mpg...for him to have legit value. That's simply not the case. I said in the first post of this thread that I expected him to play closer to 30 mpg this year and that if he did, he would average 12-14 ppg and 5-7 apg, on good percentages. So far, he is at 11/4 with good percentages, while at just 24 mpg.

While he hasn't gotten near 30 mpg yet, my original post was with the probability of Melo being dealt at some point this year. As soon as that does happen, Ty's minutes will increase quite a bit. That much is a fact. If you need proof, look at how much more playing time he got in the games Melo missed in December....right around the 30 minute mark. Production was there as well.

So my point remains the same as it's been all year. As soon as Melo is gone, Lawson becomes a must own player in basically every league size. If you can afford to stash him, I would. It's not every day you can find an all-around pg like him on the ww. Not just from points and assists, but the good percentages and low turnover rate.

Well, let's first define value. A standard league is 12 teams, 13 players each, 9 categories. 12x13=156, so in an ideal world, the top 156 players have value. At any given moment, there are hot players and cold players. Someone who was hot last month may be cold this month, and their average value is a combination of the two. I can't speak for everybody, but generally somebody who checks the Rotoworld forums should have a somewhat decent fantasy team. We're always looking for the hot players, so a typical waiver pickup deemed worthy in Rotoworld should have top 100 value while he's playing for you.

Now let's look at Lawson. For the season he's average-ranked at 161. This means if you owned him from day one, through the ups and downs, Billups/Melo injury, he gave you an average of #161. So in an ideal world, he's a borderline last player on the team roster. Now we all know Ty did most of his damage when Billups/Melo were injured, which should easily indicate that when they are healthy, Ty is below the 161 rank, making him not worthy of a roster spot.

With the Nets deal no longer available, we have to analyze Ty's value with Melo gone but Billups still around, as that's the most likely scenario. However, does a Melo trade equate to Melo missing games with injuries early this year? I don't believe so, as any trade involving Melo will bring back one or more players in return. Take the Knicks for example, a Melo trade will bring back one or more players such as Gallo, Fields or Chandler. Add in the usual suspects in Billups, Affalo, JR, Nene, Kenyon, Bird... and I don't see a significant minute increase for Ty.

So how much playing time does Ty need to have top 100 potential? I think he needs to average 32+ minutes. Average, not ceiling. Average means in some games he plays 37 minutes, and other games he plays 27. The only way he gets that type of time is if he's a starter. I don't think he can get those minutes coming off the bench.

Ty's strength in fantasy is his high %fg, scoring and assists. He is about average to below average in the ft%, 3s, and steals category. I did some digging into his college career and it seems like he should steal the ball at a higher rate, but for some reason in the NBA level he's about average so far. If he's not shooting 3s or stealing the ball at a high rate, he needs good playing time to have value, as he has to make up those stats with his scoring and assists.

Obviously, his value very much depends on how much playing time he gets, but with Billups still around it's not looking good. I still have him on my roster at the moment, but I'm looking to drop at the earliest opportunity.

Melo is still going to get traded. The Nets just don't want to over pay for him. Hell, it's probably just a publicity stunt anyway to get a better deal on him.

Pokhorov conveniently comes out with this press conference the day before a scheduled meeting with Carmelo? Come on give me a break. The Nets are still heavily interested in him they are just trying to play hard ball. Besides there's at least 8 other teams out there who would love to trade for Carmelo. Especially now when you see his value get deflated. Which I think was the main purpose for Pokhorov to even hold that press conference. Was to basically let them know, we gave you a good deal take it or leave it. If nothing better comes along Denver will just have to take it... There's no way The Nuggets pass up on a chance to get some kind of value for Carmelo.

This is all assuming that Melo wants to play for the Nets, isn't it? From what I gather it aint just the Nuggets who has the final say in all this. Ultimately, Melo's the one who has to sign the contract extension. If that's the case then if he doesnt want to go to NJ then there's nothing the Nets or Nuggets can do about it.

Even if you don't trust Lawson farther than you can throw him, his schedule next week looks great for him as the Nuggets could be facing quite a few blowouts which means extra run from him on the bench.

12/23 vs. IND

12/25 @ WAS

12/26 @ DET

12/28 @ CLE

12/30 @ PHI

12/31 @ NJ

Archived