NBC Sports Edge Forums

the "new" TQStats

ssmarsh

I noticed that too. The trade link says "Trades processed using this page will be completed immediately regardless of your league trade policy." We do weekly transactions as well so I guess all trades will now have to be entered on the first day of the new stat week.

Apparently TQStats was bought out--no doubt to pay their attorney fees for fighting MLB on the copyright issues. The new owners have deleted the customized programming that they did for individual leagues. I am totally disgusted with this. My league is almost 20 years old, and six or seven years ago we switched to their service when they agreed to customize the scoring option for us. That's now gone, and we can't find anyone else who can provide this option. Basically, we have two divisions of seven teams each (and, on occassion, three divisions when a 15th team joins, but their programming could handle it either way). If your team is better than a team in your own division in a category, you get a point; if your team is better than a team in the OTHER division, you get HALF a point. [for ties in a category, you either get a half point or nothing]. At the end of the year, the winner of each division faced off head-to-head. This system is terrific. While you are only competing with the teams in your own division to reach the championship, the teams in the other division have an impact, and you can't ignore them. There's also an incentive to trade with teams in the other division, and you can weigh possible full points to be gained against possible half points to be lost, etc. By this simple rule, it opens the league up to a LOT of strategy.

Anyway, it's gone, and since we no longer have the time to compute the stats and standings ourselves, for the first time since we added division in the early 1990s, our scoring will have to be different--each division computed on a 1-7 scale. We just can't find another service that will provide this customized scoring, and it is pretty upsetting. Even though they lost the lawsuit, MLB has won: They've succeeded in making only cookie-cutter services available to fantasy players.

We also have some unique position eligibility rules, and I really hope that we haven't lost the ability to use them, also.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The "new" TQStats can not handle positions MI, CO, OF. The nice java commish tool is gone. The Toys with Inflation Calculator is gone just as many leagues are doing draft prep. The team report sorts players in alphabetical order and not position. The team page does not include stats and salary/contract information in the same place. Lots of things not to like here. As users of TQ since 1999 and rotisirrie baseball players for 20 years, we're extremely disappointed that they've gone from a nearly perfect stat service to something that is literally not workable. We're looking elsewhere...

Now I see that they've apparently eliminated the ability to create your own positional categories. My league differentiates among LF, RF, and CF--you need at least one of each. Just great.

Our league and commissioner is also unhappy about the new TQ Stats website. It is too late for 2007, but I am going to encourage the owners in the league I play in to find another stats service next season. I would encourage all of you to do the same. The arrogance TQ has shown in all of this is wrong.

Apparently TQStats was bought out--no doubt to pay their attorney fees for fighting MLB on the copyright issues. The new owners have deleted the customized programming that they did for individual leagues. I am totally disgusted with this. My league is almost 20 years old, and six or seven years ago we switched to their service when they agreed to customize the scoring option for us. That's now gone, and we can't find anyone else who can provide this option. Basically, we have two divisions of seven teams each (and, on occassion, three divisions when a 15th team joins, but their programming could handle it either way). If your team is better than a team in your own division in a category, you get a point; if your team is better than a team in the OTHER division, you get HALF a point. [for ties in a category, you either get a half point or nothing]. At the end of the year, the winner of each division faced off head-to-head. This system is terrific. While you are only competing with the teams in your own division to reach the championship, the teams in the other division have an impact, and you can't ignore them. There's also an incentive to trade with teams in the other division, and you can weigh possible full points to be gained against possible half points to be lost, etc. By this simple rule, it opens the league up to a LOT of strategy.

Anyway, it's gone, and since we no longer have the time to compute the stats and standings ourselves, for the first time since we added division in the early 1990s, our scoring will have to be different--each division computed on a 1-7 scale. We just can't find another service that will provide this customized scoring, and it is pretty upsetting. Even though they lost the lawsuit, MLB has won: They've succeeded in making only cookie-cutter services available to fantasy players.

We also have some unique position eligibility rules, and I really hope that we haven't lost the ability to use them, also.

We have a tenth pitcher option that appears to be gone. We've had it for 10 years and is very much part of our strategy at auction. Anyone else have that and figued a way around the new site?

Has anyone else notice a lot of players are not eligible to be added to rosters (like E. Aybar and B. McCarthy)? I'm thinking of changing my logon to TQStatssux.

I see both Aybar and McCarthy listed on TQS. Where are you looking?

I see both Aybar and McCarthy listed on TQS. Where are you looking?

When I look either by "Commissioner -> Commissioner Tools -> Load Roster", or "Players -> Add/Drop Players", these players and about 10-12 other players I need to input are just not there. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

It is interesting that when I use the find player page, it can find Aybar and says he is a free agent. I click on his name and then click "sign player". It just takes me to the "Add/Drop Player" page where he is nowhere to be found. This is gettign frustrating...thanks again in advance.

When I look either by "Commissioner -> Commissioner Tools -> Load Roster", or "Players -> Add/Drop Players", these players and about 10-12 other players I need to input are just not there. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

It is interesting that when I use the find player page, it can find Aybar and says he is a free agent. I click on his name and then click "sign player". It just takes me to the "Add/Drop Player" page where he is nowhere to be found. This is gettign frustrating...thanks again in advance.

Sounds like you ran into the same thing I did. Check your position eligibility. I had mine set to 20 past year/ 5 current year and a handful of guys were listed. So what I did was:

- changed it to "default settings" in the league setup

- added the players to the teams

- changed it back to 20/5

- then manually added the positions to each of the players who weren't originally listed.

I hope this helps!

Sounds like you ran into the same thing I did. Check your position eligibility. I had mine set to 20 past year/ 5 current year and a handful of guys were listed. So what I did was:

- changed it to "default settings" in the league setup

- added the players to the teams

- changed it back to 20/5

- then manually added the positions to each of the players who weren't originally listed.

I hope this helps!

That worked! Thanks a ton! What an idiotic system. My only worry now is that after I put our rules back in place, when a player plays this year, they won't show up on our available unitl they hit your 5 game rule. Just something to think about...

I'm one of those who are still - after ten years - willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. But here it is the third day of the regular season and nothing but viewing current rosters is working yet.

I called the phone number on their website - just to make sure that a) they are busting their butts and working all night to make it work and B) to confirm it's not something I did - and the gentleman told me "he no longer handles that department." I asked if he could transfer me and he said no.

So I called the new number he gave me and cannot get through. Looks like the phones are off the hook.

Is anybody's TQS working yet? Thanks.

I'm one of those who are still - after ten years - willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. But here it is the third day of the regular season and nothing but viewing current rosters is working yet.
Glad to see it's not just my league. We don't draft until this Saturday so I'm hoping they can work out the bugs before then.
I called the phone number on their website - just to make sure that a) they are busting their butts and working all night to make it work and B) to confirm it's not something I did - and the gentleman told me "he no longer handles that department." I asked if he could transfer me and he said no.

I had more questions so I called 800-267-3322 last night and got the "our office is now closed" recording. I've been calling the same number on and off all day and getting a busy signal. Can that many people be calling?

So I called the new number he gave me and cannot get through. Looks like the phones are off the hook.
What's the "new" number?
Is anybody's TQS working yet? Thanks.

Ours isn't yet. It's the small stuff like our custom categories not calculating even though the stats are there. If they would at least send out an e-mail or put a notice on their web page saying what's going on, at least that would be something. Might cut down on the number of calls they're getting too.

Glad to see it's not just my league. We don't draft until this Saturday so I'm hoping they can work out the bugs before then.

I had more questions so I called 800-267-3322 last night and got the "our office is now closed" recording. I've been calling the same number on and off all day and getting a busy signal. Can that many people be calling?

What's the "new" number?

Ours isn't yet. It's the small stuff like our custom categories not calculating even though the stats are there. If they would at least send out an e-mail or put a notice on their web page saying what's going on, at least that would be something. Might cut down on the number of calls they're getting too.

That's the number I called. I clicked on the "Contact Us" link and ended up calling a CDM number as opposed to the above TQS number.

So you are seeing your categories? We aren't even seeing them (though it seems the player stats are accruing.)

In previous years, you had to "submit" your final rosters, but I saw no facility for that this year. I thought the whole "roster lock" thing they had for 4/2 should have taken care of that. Was there some final step you had to do to lock down your rosters? That's one of the questions I had for them. Couldn't agree more that they should perhaps use their FAQ to provide daily updates about what's going on (like they have for the Live Scoring.) We've been with them a long time and been very happy. I'm willing to cut them some slack . . . for a limited time.

So you are seeing your categories? We aren't even seeing them (though it seems the player stats are accruing.)
No standings yet. I've been looking over the players kept from last season (each team currently has a roster of seven) to see if their stats were there, and some are.
In previous years, you had to "submit" your final rosters, but I saw no facility for that this year.

Our draft has always taken place a week after the season starts and we've had no problem getting rosters in. In the new format, under the "commissioner tools" menu, there's a "load rosters" feature where you can input your teams. I think it's actually set up better than under the old java format since now you can do multiple players at once rather than one at a time.

I thought the whole "roster lock" thing they had for 4/2 should have taken care of that. Was there some final step you had to do to lock down your rosters? That's one of the questions I had for them.
I thought the "roster lock" was simply a note telling people when the weekly roster deadline was rather than some initial set up thing. That was one of my questions as well.
Couldn't agree more that they should perhaps use their FAQ to provide daily updates about what's going on (like they have for the Live Scoring.) We've been with them a long time and been very happy. I'm willing to cut them some slack . . . for a limited time.

Same here. We're in our 8th season with them and I don't see us changing this year since we're already into the season. They'd better get it going soon though.

I've been doing at least 2 leagues with TQ for 8 years now. I would have much more customer loyalty as I have loved their site but we are not dealing with the same people so therefore I don't have much loyalty. I really angers me that they don't seem to know what the hell they are doing and are not keeping people updated or answering their phone. I'm sure they won't be inclined to give refunds or make things right if there are as many unhappy people as I imagine.

Our draft has always taken place a week after the season starts and we've had no problem getting rosters in. In the new format, under the "commissioner tools" menu, there's a "load rosters" feature where you can input your teams. I think it's actually set up better than under the old java format since now you can do multiple players at once rather than one at a time.

Our draft typically takes place later as well, but schedules and such forced us to do it last Saturday.

And that "Roster Lock" thing was a term they'd never used, so I was assuming it meant just that. You may be right, though. At any rate, I gave up on the phone and sent them an e-mail. I'll keep ya posted!

Couldn't agree more that it is in fact MUCH easier to use from the Commissioner's standpoint. I know folks in our league will gripe if those reports don't come back, but I haven't used them in years.

We have used TQstats for 6 years and always liked it but I am about done. It is a lot more work for me to add a player for our rules. The transactions log does not show when a player is brought up from reserve to active. We charge to do that so I need to print out rosters every week now to see what moves people have made. We have no stats what so ever today. It looks like the season has not started yet. I was willing to cut them some slack bucause we have been happy there but not having stats once the season has started is unacceptable.

This email is in response to TQStats support ticket: 9522Your question/comment:Still trying to get used to this new site:

1. Where do my owners BID on Free Agents (auction) ?

2. When will the rosters be divided into Active and Bench players with a total dollar price for active players...you know the $260 limit !

3. I need to adjust a certain teams FAAB balance due to rule violations where can I do this and where are their totals?

Hoping this is going to get better.. I am taking TONS of FLAK.

ShawnTQSTATS response:

Shawn,

Thank you for contacting TQ Stats Customer Service. We know there are outstanding issues with the new TQ Stats website that have caused inconvenience for our customers. We wanted you to know that you can expect League Standings to be available no later than this Wednesday, April 4th and Live Scoring for Roto leagues will be available no later t han this Friday, April 6th.

We understand that Live Scoring is a crucial feature for any fantasy baseball participant and we apologize for the delay in releasing this feature. We are committed to delivering Live Scoring for non-Roto leagues as well and we are working to make this feature available as soon as possible. We are also working on delivering other features such as FAAB, League Finances, Copying Lineups into Future Periods, Pticher Probables, and Printable Reports. We will be providing an update on the status of these features this coming Monday. If you have any other questions please let us know.

2. When will the rosters be divided into Active and Bench players with a total dollar price for active players...you know the $260 limit !
I think your league Commish has to do that himself. I know I've be able to assign active and bench positions to players via the "commish tools -> transactions -> set linups" menu.
Thank you for contacting TQ Stats Customer Service. We know there are outstanding issues with the new TQ Stats website that have caused inconvenience for our customers. We wanted you to know that you can expect League Standings to be available no later than this Wednesday, April 4th and Live Scoring for Roto leagues will be available no later t han this Friday, April 6th.

Thanks for posting that part, Shawn. I know there are leagues out there that are FURIOUS that the standings part isn't running yet. It's inexcusable if you ask me, but at least they are trying.

We understand that Live Scoring is a crucial feature for any fantasy baseball participant and we apologize for the delay in releasing this feature. We are committed to delivering Live Scoring for non-Roto leagues as well and we are working to make this feature available as soon as possible. We are also working on delivering other features such as FAAB, League Finances, Copying Lineups into Future Periods, Pticher Probables, and Printable Reports. We will be providing an update on the status of these features this coming Monday. If you have any other questions please let us know.

Of that list, printable reports is the most important to my league since the site is blocked at my office and half the league works there. I was hoping the reports would be up by this weekend, but now it looks like that may not be the case. Again, thanks for posting that update!

On a related note, this e-mail was JUST delivered to me so it looks like they're trying to make amends.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Valued TQStats Baseball League Manager Customer:

We apologize for the issues you've been experiencing with the new TQStats baseball league manager product and we're working diligently to resolve the issues that you've brought to our attention over the past several days. Specifically, we'll have the following features available on the dates outlined below:

· League standings will available Wednesday, April 4th

· Live scoring for rotisserie leagues will be available Friday, April 6th

Furthermore, we are actively working on delivering the remaining major features we previously informed you that will be coming in the 2007 season, including:

· Free agent auction bids (FAAB)

· Live scoring for all other leagues

· League finances

· Printable reports

We will send you an email on Monday, April 9th letting you know when exactly these remaining major features will be available on the site. In the meantime, we'll be granting you a free subscription to the RotoTimes.com Fantasy Baseball Hot Sheet Lite for an entire year, which includes access to:

· The Sunday Planner: A newsletter posted and emailed early Sunday evening with information to help you set your roster.

· The Week Ahead: A full week of pitching matchups in a grid format with two-start alerts.

· Probable Pitchers: Detailed pitching matchups including home/road splits, recent trends and each pitcher's career record against his opponent.

Click here to obtain your free subscription to RotoTimes.com Hot Sheet Baseball Lite. Simply log in using your existing TQStats username and password and you'll be granted a free subscription to the product. If you're already a Hot Sheet Lite subscriber, one more year will be added to your subscription.

Again, we sincerely apologize for all of the inconvenience you've experienced over the past several days and we strongly encourage you to be patient as we continue to improve the new TQStats baseball league manager site.

If you have any questions, please contact customer support at: sportsdesk@tqstats.com

We appreciate your business,

TQStats.com

I noticed one other thing today that could be a big problem for out league. We have a league where you can only pick up active MLB players, no dl or minor league guys. On the old site, they filtered all of the out and the only players available were active MLB players. As of today, the entire universe of players is showing on the free agent list on the new and "improved" site. I have a bad feeling that is not going to be corrected...I am ready to jump ship. I don't know what's more frustrating, the incessant busy signal, the recording that says the office is closed in the middle of the day, or being placed on hold for over 1/2 hour before hanging up...

On a related note, this e-mail was JUST delivered to me so it looks like they're trying to make amends.

Yeah, thats nice and all, but what they have done is almost unforgivable. Without any warning of major upheaval in the works, they have taken our money and turned a finely tuned product on its head. They have gutted the system and replaced it with a buggy, incomplete product. To cap it off, they have rolled it out during perhaps the most critical period of the season, knowing full well that it wasn't ready.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!

If the new product was complete, functionally equivalent, and had been actually tested and running back in - say february - it would be different. But its not even close... and probably won't be for some time - in some cases it sounds like features are gone for good.

We've basically paid money to be beta testers of their new half baked product. Is this how you treat loyal customers? This is not the same TQStats we've been using for the last 7 seasons. How many customer leagues do you think they have broken in the process?

You'd think they would have had backup plans to run on the old system till the new system was ready. But, apparently they think you won't mind changing your league rules to mold to their new system and you won't mind missing out on the first part of the season while they get their new stuff running. The mere fact that they would do this to their customers speaks volumes about the new TQStats management. I really hope they sell the old system to someone else who wants to provide a better customer experience. Thats why we subscribed to them in the first place...

We have a league where you can only pick up active MLB players, no dl or minor league guys. On the old site, they filtered all of the out and the only players available were active MLB players. As of today, the entire universe of players is showing on the free agent list on the new and "improved" site. I have a bad feeling that is not going to be corrected...I am ready to jump ship.

Not quite sure why this would be a MAJOR problem. I guess if you allow your teams to do their own transactions, then they could grab an ineligible player by mistake or something. If the Commish enters everything, he can prohibit this from happening.

On a different subject, someone else made a comment about losing custom programming about attachments. We also use attachments, but have never asked for custom programming for it, we just kind of keep track of this separately. I notice in the new TQS, there is a "comment" field for every player. This is where I plan to make note of who is attached to who, which could be a huge improvement (for us, anyway.)

Thanks very much everybody for updating me on your own current TQS experience. I also recieved an apologetic e-mail in reply to my own, and notice as well they've got that notice upon login apologizing and keeping us updated. That's pretty much all I needed to hear - that they are aware of the difficulties and are working to correct them.

I think and hope and suspect that if within a coupla days most everything is working, they can survive this. I do think that moving away from the mostly static and text-based stuff they used to have to a more dynamic environment will be a major improvement.

I also agree with everyone who said that to do this just a coupla weeks in advance of the season with no warning is a travesty, a debacle, and a PR nightmare that someone shouldda had the imagination to have foreseen.

Well, logged into tqstats this morning and the standings are up, but with no stats. Everyone is in 1st place. Hopefully they are still implementing this feature. One thing I noticed that disturbs me is that on the standings page, if you click on your team to see your players stats, it takes you to your roster page where it just shows your team roster with the players weekly schedule(NO STATS). If this does not change, that is a big problem. I will give TQstats until Friday to make things right, otherwise, it is time to find another service before we get deeper into the season.

Any suggestions on an alternate stat site? Thanks.

Well, logged into tqstats this morning and the standings are up, but with no stats. Everyone is in 1st place. Hopefully they are still implementing this feature. One thing I noticed that disturbs me is that on the standings page, if you click on your team to see your players stats, it takes you to your roster page where it just shows your team roster with the players weekly schedule(NO STATS). If this does not change, that is a big problem. I will give TQstats until Friday to make things right, otherwise, it is time to find another service before we get deeper into the season.

Any suggestions on an alternate stat site? Thanks.

I for one am pleased to see everyone in first, because it may be the last time this season that I'm there . . .

Seriously though, it is obvious that things are just not going to be in the same place anymore. Right now, if you go to "Players" - "Player Stats" you will see your own players highlighted in yellow along with their current stats. Obviously not what we are looking for, but it's something. It looks like they have promised to have the "Reports" section back at some point, so perhaps it is there we will see the usual snapshot we are used to seeing.

Don't wanna seem Pollyanish, but like I said, I think the new dynamic vs. static thing they are doing could open the door for lots of cool stuff in the future. I do understand that people don't like change - folks in my League are already grumbling about it.

But they're also still grumbling about the DH and Interleague play . . .

(:>)

Archived