NBC Sports Edge Forums

2008 keeper help

ssmarsh

My season was over a long time ago, so for the last few months I've been dumping my higher salary players, trying to load up on potential keepers for next year. We can only keep 7 in my 10 team, AL only, $260 auction draft league. Taking their 2008 salary (shown) into account, which seven of the group below would you keep?

Joel Zumaya, $14

Alex Rios, $8

Kelvim Escobar, $6

Ryan Shealy, $6

Jason Bartlett, $5

Scot Shields, $5

Francisco Liriano, $4

Kevin Youkilis, $4

Jonny Gomes, $3

Zack Grienke, $3

Ryan Garko, $1

Jon Lester, $1

Mark Ellis, $1

Yuniesky Betancourt, $1

Kenny Lofton, $1

Kenny Rogers, $1

Andy Marte, $1

Kelly Shoppach, $1

Ben Zobrist, $1

1-Rios

2-Lester

3-Liriano

4-Escobar

5-Garko

6-Youk

7-S.Shields

Youk cause u can dump his come 2nd half of next year he is a 1st half performer and Shields cause he is a total contributor. He basically gives all stats. All the other guys I feel dont need explanations.

Thanks for the reply...5 of the 7 you listed are in my top 7 as well. While I love him, I doubt I'd keep Shields for $5 since I know I could buy him at the draft for around that same price. Anyone else have any opinions?

It is still so early, but here is how I would rank them:

Tier 1:

1) Rios ($8) - by a mile

Tier 2:

2) Garko ($1)

3) Escobar ($6)

4) Youkilis ($4)

5) Shields ($5)

Tier 3 (Speculative):

6) Zumaya ($14)

7) Liriano ($4)

8) Lester ($1)

9) Gomes ($3)

Best of the rest: Bartlett, Ellis, Betancourt

And I would wait until Spring tarining, if you can, to understand the value of Zumaya, in particular (if he is nto definitively the closer, you should nto keep him - at $14, you could get either a 3rd Tier closer, or sopend less money to get a good set-up man). And also you have to wait as long as possible to see how Liriano's recovery is going before making a decision there. Goems' value depends on whether he has an every day job - which could depend on trades made in the off season. lester? $1, high ceiling, still struggling now.

I rate Shields high, because he will give great ERA and Ratio, and some vulture wins, as well as the occasional save as K-Rod's back-up -- and because he is VERY predictable in what to expect. His upside is large if K-Rod gets hurt.

It is still so early, but here is how I would rank them:

Tier 1:

1) Rios ($8) - by a mile

Tier 2:

2) Garko ($1)

3) Escobar ($6)

4) Youkilis ($4)

5) Shields ($5)

Tier 3 (Speculative):

6) Zumaya ($14)

7) Liriano ($4)

8) Lester ($1)

9) Gomes ($3)

Best of the rest: Bartlett, Ellis, Betancourt

And I would wait until Spring tarining, if you can, to understand the value of Zumaya, in particular (if he is nto definitively the closer, you should nto keep him - at $14, you could get either a 3rd Tier closer, or sopend less money to get a good set-up man). And also you have to wait as long as possible to see how Liriano's recovery is going before making a decision there. Goems' value depends on whether he has an every day job - which could depend on trades made in the off season. lester? $1, high ceiling, still struggling now.

I rate Shields high, because he will give great ERA and Ratio, and some vulture wins, as well as the occasional save as K-Rod's back-up -- and because he is VERY predictable in what to expect. His upside is large if K-Rod gets hurt.

As a sidebar addition ... Garko at $1 - he is the starting 1B for a good team, young, and hitting at an annualized pace of .300+ BA, 25+ HR, 90+ RBI ... again, for $1.

I don't have to make any decisions until the Monday before our draft, which is always held the first Saturday after the start of the regular season, so anything said now is pure speculation. There are some sure-fire keeps (Rios, Escobar, Garko), but a lot of possibilities on my roster. I like having such a large pool of potential keepers to pick from.

Of the question marks, I'm hoping Liriano is back to full strength, or nearly there, because at $4 he'd be a HUGE keeper. If Lester is in the middle/back of Boston's opening day rotation, he'll be really nice at a buck as well. If Greinke is closing in KC, and that's a big if, he'd be a steal at $3. If Gomes (GS tonight) is playing every day someplace, he's also a steal at $3.

• 2 weeks later...
Of the question marks, I'm hoping Liriano is back to full strength, or nearly there, because at $4 he'd be a HUGE keeper.

From Rotoworld today: Francisco Liriano, who had Tommy John surgery on Nov. 6, has had no setbacks since beginning a throwing program.

Liriano has been throwing 10 times from 40 feet and 60 feet, five times from 90 feet and 15 times from 120 feet before tapering back down every other day. He hopes to be 100 percent in time for spring training.

i'd go with:

1) Rios

2) Escobar

3) Liriano

4) Garko

5) Zumaya

6) Lester

7) Greinke

Alt. 1) Youk

Alt. 2) Gomes

Go with one of the alternatives if: Liriano has a huge setback; detroit signs a closer to close instead of zumaya; boston signs a bunch of free agents to take lester's rotation spot; or it becomes clear that greinke will not be given a shot at the closer job or a rotation spot.

My order: Rios & Liriano are must owns. These have to be your #1 and #2...Garko, Lester, Ellis are decent and cheap so I would keep them...Escobar, Youk & Bartlett are the best players remaining from the list and could be kept.

If budget is no prblem, keep Zumaya.

Do not keep S. Shields

Archived