NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Brandon Roy Strategy

fenderbender

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like all you other B.Roy owners out there, I'm feeling very queasy right now, and I can't help but wonder:

What can we do?

Let's discuss...

-Which players to aim for in trading Brandon away

-Whether it's worth holding him and hoping for the best, or dealing away asap

-Our hopes and fears

I would try to acquire Wesley Matthews..kid is for real and ready to step in once Roy goes down for good this season..maybe you can get him at a nice price..I don't own Roy, but i do own Matthews and this kid is dynamite..that would be my first step, then I would start sending out offers for underachieving, slow starting healthy players with a solid track record..

There is only one strategy. He's going to rest his knee and play next week where I expect he'll have 2-3 good games with a well rested knee. At that point ship him quickly for the best player you can because after those next 2-3 games he's going to get injured and probably be done for a while.

I don't have Roy on any of my team. But I think the logically way to go would be to sell him for whatever you can get now. Of course not for ww scrubs but for some one decent.

I have a feeling, Roy will be done for the season soon enough, if Wesley is continues to play as hot as he is. They already having arguments about Roy's availability. Of course Roy will wants to play, but the people in the office will look at it like, why risk it when Wesley is playing just as good.

Maybe make the move before it is too late.

My $.02 on the subject.

The strategy depends on the depth of your league.

I have him in two leagues. One is deep enough that there are limited SG/SF available on the wire. Fortunately, this league also has an IR slot so I can afford to place him there until he returns. Once he comes back, I will begin floating offers. My strategy is to try to trade him regardless of how good he looks when he comes back. So, if he comes back and strings a few good games together, I will be able to maximize return. This still may not be much. If he comes back and shuts it down, then I will place him on IR again. I am not certain who I will target in a trade but I am thinking more mid-tier players (ranked in the 75 to 100 range H2H, 9 cats). I have hedged my bet by picking up Matthews.

The other league is not as deep so there are several decent options available on the wire. I have chose to hold onto him until he comes back. However, if he shuts down again, I will just drop him.

I believe the best short-term strategy is to hold onto him until he comes back and then try to trade him. I doubt anyone will trade for him unless they have some reason for optimism that he will be able to play. The only way that will happen is for him to actually play. The best long-term strategy is to trade him. This issue is not going away soon. I have seen too many instances where a guy is hurt early in the year comes back to play for a month or two and then shuts it down.

There is only one strategy. He's going to rest his knee and play next week where I expect he'll have 2-3 good games with a well rested knee. At that point ship him quickly for the best player you can because after those next 2-3 games he's going to get injured and probably be done for a while.

I agree with this, however if you play in any kind of competitive league I would think most owners will be highly aware of Roy's situation and deal you almost next to nothing due to the extremely high risk, I don't even see any upside to acquiring him really, which is mainly the problem...

Let my story serve as a cautionary tale. I traded Roy for Troy Murphy when he first sat, and before Avery came out and proclaimed Humphries as the long term starter. I dropped Troy last night for Aminu.

If I still had Roy, I'd either hold him and pray, or look for a former free agent pickup on some team who has a bright future, but not much present. Maybe a Daye. Maybe Delfino, because people keep discounting him.

Once he comes back, I will begin floating offers. My strategy is to try to trade him regardless of how good he looks when he comes back. So, if he comes back and strings a few good games together, I will be able to maximize return. This still may not be much. If he comes back and shuts it down, then I will place him on IR again. I am not certain who I will target in a trade but I am thinking more mid-tier players (ranked in the 75 to 100 range H2H, 9 cats).

I would think if Brandon Roy looked great upon his return you would just keep him. If Brandon Roy is back to Brandon Roy (we all love and know) upon his return why would you trade him?

The reason people are wanting to trade him now is because of lack of production / injury. Meaning you are trying to get what you can for him now (trading him at the risk of under valuing him). No savvy owner is going to take Brandon Roy off your hands for market value regardless of how good he looks upon return. You would only be trading him for less than he's worth. Trading him now for less than he's worth is okay because first off he will miss a bunch of games. Secondly you don't know what he's going to look like when he returns.

But if you have an IR slot then you can hold onto him throughout his injury and there wouldn't be any reason to trade him after he comes back unless he doesn't look good and you don't feel he can produce. But if he is producing what he should you'll never net a trade that will bring in an equal producer.

Also I'm reading the injury isn't that bad and he's shooting to come back Friday... For some reason I was thinking he was going to be out for an extended period...

dude is running bone on bone, the only way to be without pain is to not do anything sports related. a good friend of mine has no more meniscus in both knees after blowing them in separate basketball and soccer injuries. 3 surgeries later, guy can't do anything sports related anymore, and this guy lived/slept/died sports...sad. he's a physical therapist, so he knows he can't push himself anymore, there's just no recovering when you got nothing left.

Also I'm reading the injury isn't that bad and he's shooting to come back Friday... For some reason I was thinking he was going to be out for an extended period...

The stratergy for non keeper leagues is to hope he comes back and plays well for a period of time and sell him as quick as you can for a useful player, ANY useful player. But for managers in keeper leagues, the reports about his long term prognosis is beyond damaging. With degenerative knees I don't think anyone can now vision Roy as a keeper and for those who built around this guy, your rebuilding process will be painful. the return you may be able to get back for him will be a spit in the face.

The stratergy for non keeper leagues is to hope he comes back and plays well for a period of time and sell him as quick as you can for a useful player, ANY useful player. But for managers in keeper leagues, the reports about his long term prognosis is beyond damaging. With degenerative knees I don't think anyone can now vision Roy as a keeper and for those who built around this guy, your rebuilding process will be painful. the return you may be able to get back for him will be a spit in the face.

Sounds a lot like this:

I still think he has a better chance to come back strong and remain valuable throughout the season than people are giving him credit for. If you've held on to him this long, stick with him and hope for the best. if he's coming back this early, it cant be as bad as everyone is saying it is. Roy had some pretty nice games this season with the bad knee, so he's still worth more than anything you'll find on the waiver wire or anything you'll get in return via trade. Don't forget, he's had this same knee problem pretty much throughout his career and has been able to perform consistently with the injury.

I still think he has a better chance to come back strong and remain valuable throughout the season than people are giving him credit for. If you've held on to him this long, stick with him and hope for the best. if he's coming back this early, it cant be as bad as everyone is saying it is. Roy had some pretty nice games this season with the bad knee, so he's still worth more than anything you'll find on the waiver wire or anything you'll get in return via trade. Don't forget, he's had this same knee problem pretty much throughout his career and has been able to perform consistently with the injury.

His knee injuries have never been this bad man....

dude is running bone on bone, the only way to be without pain is to not do anything sports related. a good friend of mine has no more meniscus in both knees after blowing them in separate basketball and soccer injuries. 3 surgeries later, guy can't do anything sports related anymore, and this guy lived/slept/died sports...sad. he's a physical therapist, so he knows he can't push himself anymore, there's just no recovering when you got nothing left.

Yea I don't think this can be mentioned enough...this isn't the same injury he's had, this is the result of all of the knee injuries slowly deteriorating his knees, even if you think he can tough it out and be somewhat productive through periodic rest its gonna to be a headache all season long, he's going to have to keep having his knee drained(...twice already?) leading to taking off full weeks and if the Blazers tailspan out of playoff contention he'll just be shut down, if they somehow lock themselves into a playoff spot, Roy will be rested during your fantasy playoffs so he can be ready for the NBA playoffs...not to mention he's been struggling to be effective as it is right now through this injury

Trying to sell him leaves you at a major disadvantage. The best thing to do is hold him, let him get some rest and putting decent fantasy numbers.

Aim to trade him after the All star break since he'll get a great amount of rest and come back playing motivated to finish the final stretch of the season.

Selling him low unless a stupid manager offers you something ridiculous just isn't worth it.

I think the strategy right now is to pack him with another player and try to buy-low.

i offered in my league Roy+Augustin for Joe Johnson yesterday.

this way i play it safe and the other owner can risk a bit, because if roy can´t play at least he got Augustin, and JJ is playing like s--- anyway.

I like the general idea but not the execution. Roy and Augustine for JJ seems like overpaying a lot. I would rather target Wade and expect to be accepted.

I think that not being able to trade Roy is a risk that can cost you more than overpaying for a sure thing, like JJ in my case.

I am really pessimistic about Roy, after a summer of rest he is already banged, even if he can play for a while i can´t expect him to hold it until the end of the season, when the fantasy playoffs kick in. So what if the Blazers are out of the playoff hunt?? it is such a big risk to hold on Roy.

In my league nobody wanted to touch Roy, and it is a 10teamer, so there´s always some value to be found in the WW which makes it easier for me to pack a guy like Augustin (my last pick in the draft) in order to assure the deal gets done.

Archived