NBC Sports Edge Forums

Brandon Roy Strategy

fenderbender

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you can tell he's really grinding his knees. straining a bit, having to slow up. it just must stink for him. he's supposed to be entering his prime and his best years are probably behind him. he's having to rely on his mid-range game which just isn't all there right now. in reality, he should be relying on his hard crossover and stepback J along with his driving ability...that part of his game is just fading. i still don't get how portland couldn't see this earlier. i mean....just, with all those injuries, you'd think they'd take extra precautions with monthly x-rays. i'm no expert, but i think that's a viable solution for your franchise player. somewhere between the trainers, strength and conditioning coach(es) and team doctors, someone is royally screwing up. they're either truly cursed or there's a major oversight.

you can tell he's really grinding his knees. straining a bit, having to slow up. it just must stink for him. he's supposed to be entering his prime and his best years are probably behind him. he's having to rely on his mid-range game which just isn't all there right now. in reality, he should be relying on his hard crossover and stepback J along with his driving ability...that part of his game is just fading. i still don't get how portland couldn't see this earlier. i mean....just, with all those injuries, you'd think they'd take extra precautions with monthly x-rays. i'm no expert, but i think that's a viable solution for your franchise player. somewhere between the trainers, strength and conditioning coach(es) and team doctors, someone is royally screwing up. they're either truly cursed or there's a major oversight.

Well, I'm pretty sure you need MRI's to determine muscle, ligament, tendon, meniscus, etc. damage, and Roy apparently is claustrophobic and terrified of getting MRI's, so it hasn't been possible to monitor him closely.

We all await the Rotoworld blub that we know will be coming....Something in the nature of him shutting it down....He has already laid some of the ground work for this...he gave a few people a buzz by making a few baskets in select games, but anyone can play horse....He is just not mobile enough to get adequate open shots anymore. Not his fault...his knees just SUCK.

I did lose a little respect for him when he called Andre slow. Andre has ALWAYS been slow, he makes up for it with a ton of steals, etc, etc. He is VERY OLD but still a very serviceable PG in my opinion (See Jason Kidd...who also is old and isnt very fast...) Not a good comment about a teammate.

Roy is panicking because he knows the end is near for him this year and then his future looks even more cloudy...the walls are closing in on him...

Portland needs to trade someone for something right now....I personally think Batum should be the SF and Wes should be the SG. If Roy isnt shutting it down, have him try less minutes than 30...like 24 as a 6th man....if that doesnt work, shut him down...in the meantime, start shopping long and hard....There is talent available out there to be had.....

I did lose a little respect for him when he called Andre slow. Andre has ALWAYS been slow, he makes up for it with a ton of steals, etc, etc. He is VERY OLD but still a very serviceable PG in my opinion (See Jason Kidd...who also is old and isnt very fast...) Not a good comment about a teammate.

Roy is panicking because he knows the end is near for him this year and then his future looks even more cloudy...the walls are closing in on him...

yeah, that was a bit disappointing.. but since roy's been all class up until this point, ill cut him a little slack and chalk that up to him being afraid his days as a franchise player are numbered. sadly, each passing game just feels like its cutting more and more into his career.

I also think his quote about Miller was taken out of context when he was mad....I like Roy, too...just a shame...

pagman78, I wasn't referring to Portland trading Roy when I was saying "trade something for someone"...I just meant they need to find a way to get another shooter soon...before the bottom falls out....

I'd love nothing better then for Portland to rise above both the Oden and Roy setbacks and still succeed this year....

Success= what you do with the hand you have been dealt....LETS GO PORTLAND !!!!!!

I also think his quote about Miller was taken out of context when he was mad....I like Roy, too...just a shame...

Didn't Roy say (word for word), "I wasn't that slow until you put a guy who is kind of slow next to me." Dunno about you but I dont know how that could've been taken out of context. That's pretty direct if you ask me.

He's delusional. So now he's blaming his teammate for his poor play. The same teammate he played with (effectively) last year. He needs to shut his mouth and concentrate on adjusting his game to account for the fact that he just isn't a star anymore. Why would the blazers front office even listen to him? If miller gets traded, who is supposed to carry the backcourt? roy? That's almost laughable at this point. He's starting to sound like t-mac. It takes a while for the superstar ego to fade after the abilities are gone.

He's delusional. So now he's blaming his teammate for his poor play. The same teammate he played with (effectively) last year. He needs to shut his mouth and concentrate on adjusting his game to account for the fact that he just isn't a star anymore. Why would the blazers front office even listen to him? If miller gets traded, who is supposed to carry the backcourt? roy? That's almost laughable at this point. He's starting to sound like t-mac. It takes a while for the superstar ego to fade after the abilities are gone.

I think Roy is just frustrated. He's basically trying to come to terms with the fact that he will never be the superstar he was supposed to be.

To be fair, even when Roy was healthy he didn't like playing with Miller. I think it goes beyond the court to be honest. In terms of trade demands, I agree with others, time to take a long look in the mirror. He's in no position to demand trades.

Brandon Roy will miss the next three games with a sore left knee, and will be re-evaluated next week.

Everyone saw this coming sooner or later, as Roy has been hobbled lately and is shooting 9-of-37 over the last three games. Presumably he has another bone bruise that requires he take it easy, but we should know more in the next few days. Andre Miller, Wesley Matthews, Rudy Fernandez and Nicolas Batum should all see a bump in their production.

i find myself agreeing with you, negrotiator.

Roy's career is in jeopardy, and he's not handling it well at all.

He's completely in denial - he's trying to play thru the injury stubbornly; and now he's deflecting the blame on Andre Miller instead of his own miniscus-less knees.

It's exactly like what T-Mac is going thru. Right down to the miniscus-less knees.

granted, i would love to see the Blazers trade Andre Miller out of there anyways because he's old and boring.

that town needs excitement. i hope they get Jamal Crawford in a trade soon.

Archived