NBC Sports Edge Forums

Things that would make fantasy basketball better

gsw

Counting charges is completely arbitrary, it won't change a single way anyone drafts. It's not even a stat the NBA records. giving someone a steal for taking a charge is ridiculous. How about we give them another TO if it's a blocking foul? C'mon.

I've long said, even in the real NBA, a player should get half an assist per FTM at the line. The player is directly responsible for putting their teammate on the line, and should be rewarded. He hits both, you get a full assist. You could end up with fractional lines at the end of the night, but in the long run they usually always show season averages so you wouldn't even notice.

Well NBA players more than any others have tendency to get injured.

I agree with this point, but disagree with your previous phrasing. I don't think basketball players are "wusses" more than any other athletes. I do think there's an inability in basketball to play through injuries which would be tolerable in other sports. All fantasy sports would be better if injuries were not part of the equation (please note that people like TR would probably disagree with this, as their only chance at fantasy relevance is if they pick up an injured player's backup before anyone else has the chance).

Every night you start off with the 5 traditional postions (PG,SG...) and each position has 48 minutes alotted to them. You have to decide how to distribute the minutes every night. For example if you have Paul, you can give him 36 minutes and give the other 12 minutes to Jennings. So your stats at PG for that night only counts the first 36 minutes Paul plays and the first 12 minutes Jennings plays.

The nba needs to count block shots on and 1's. If you get fouled and the ball goes in it counts as a basket, and if it was a goal tend it still gets counted. But if it's a shooting foul and someone blocks the shot the block doesn't count. The block should count!

If you committed the foul before getting the block, then obviously not. Even if you didn't commit the foul, the foul should have already done the job of making sure the shot had little chance of going in anyway, and the block does less good if the ball isn't live afterwards.

the block stops the basket from counting. that alone deserves it to be counted as a stat. If you count the goal tend then you should count the block.

So you can have a block without a missed shot? That seems wrong to me.

the block stops the basket from counting. that alone deserves it to be counted as a stat. If you count the goal tend then you should count the block.

It's a dead ball. Half the time, the player that gets the block commits the foul. You can't reward the defense if a foul is being committed. It's basic logic.

No you shouldn't...the block was illegal, ergo, the goaltending call. But I think we're starting to drift into different things.

As far as counting blocks on shooting fouls, I'd say "No" to that, too. After all, the physical act of play ends with the whistle. The ball going into the basket (or not) is a result of the physical play that resulted in the whistle. Blocking a shot on a shooting foul is an extraneous act that should not be rewarded.

It would be like crediting someone with a three if they let go of a full-court heave after the horn started.

No you shouldn't...the block was illegal, ergo, the goaltending call. But I think we're starting to drift into different things.

As far as counting blocks on shooting fouls, I'd say "No" to that, too. After all, the physical act of play ends with the whistle. The ball going into the basket (or not) is a result of the physical play that resulted in the whistle. Blocking a shot on a shooting foul is an extraneous act that should not be rewarded.

It would be like crediting someone with a three if they let go of a full-court heave after the horn started.

I dont think you are understanding me, I am not saying that when goaltending is called it should be called a block as well. I am just saying that if goaltending can be called on a shooting foul then block shots should be counted as well.

If someone gets fouled on the perimeter and a different defender blocks the ball on the way up, why shouldn't it be counted as a block? If he didn't block the ball and it went into the basket then it would be counted as 2 points. He saved his team two points by blocking the shot, that to me deserves to be written down as a stat.

Archived