NBC Sports Edge Forums

Stat services that allow custom positions/categories for 2011

ssmarsh

It's looking like my league is going to vote to change stat services for 2011 (we were with onroto.com last year). I've been looking around at the major services out there (Yahoo, ESPN, CBS, etc.) and can't confirm which ones allow leagues to use custom categories (we have 4). I know CBS can do it, we were with them for a few seasons, but I'm not sure on the rest. Does anyone know for sure if other stat services allow for custom scoring categories?

Are you talking about a stat you've made up yourself? Like, off the top of my head:

Speed = SB - CS + Triples

or something like WAR, FIP, etc?

I'm certain Yahoo doesn't have this and I'm fairly certain ESPN doesn't either.

Are you talking about a stat you've made up yourself?

Yes. We use the following cats (customized ones are marked with *)

average, HR, RBI, runs, 2SB+BB*

ERA, wins, IP-H*, K-BB*, SV-BS+Ho/2*

I'm certain Yahoo doesn't have this and I'm fairly certain ESPN doesn't either.

That's what I really need to know. The people in my league who want to change are all suggesting Yahoo, but I can't find out for certain if they allow home-made categories. One of the guys e-mailed them and got a robo reply of "we're not open for 2011 yet so we'll answer your question when we are".

Yes. We use the following cats (customized ones are marked with *)

average, HR, RBI, runs, 2SB+BB*

ERA, wins, IP-H*, K-BB*, SV-BS+Ho/2*

That's what I really need to know. The people in my league who want to change are all suggesting Yahoo, but I can't find out for certain if they allow home-made categories. One of the guys e-mailed them and got a robo reply of "we're not open for 2011 yet so we'll answer your question when we are".

Why the switch? We use onroto and I just glanced and saw a few of your categories available (2SB+BB and K-BB) so they may have the others. But if not, they would almost certainly allow you to create them.

When we joined onroto we wanted the option in a roto league to give a zero for finishing last in a category and a 2 point jump for winning the category. They added the option for us.

Why the switch?

Personally, I don't want to switch. Last year was our first season with onroto, after 3 with CBS, and a bunch of the guys in the league didn't like it. I loved onroto but more than half of my league didn't, I'm not sure why.

We're in out off-season rule change/voting period and every year we vote to stay with or switch the stat service. It's looking like the "switch" vote is going to win (they all want Yahoo) this year so as the league statman I'm comparing the other stat services out there.

As Fanball going out of business, I need to find a league. 10 team league but with some nuances

Need to have:

* Head to head daily win point league

* Customize divisions and schedule

* 25 roster spots

* 3 Keepers

* Basic scoring - would like configurable

* Schedule: 21 regular season weeks and 3 playoff weeks

* DL moves anytime

* Rosters from both AL and NL

* Ability to put in future dated rosters

Nice to have:

* Ability to change hitters daily

* Rotation frozen for week, unless player DL

* Skip all star week

* Waivers once a week Sunday nite - would rather have site control this

* Standings done by hockey point system (2 points win, 1 pt tie)

* 7 games played weekly with extra win awarded to winner of total points in matchup

Onroto looks promising, any other suggestions?

@lavaman - I was on Yahoo's site and the head to head leagues go by categories for wins not points and the Fantasy Points leagues accumulates points for the year. I need a site where I specify a weekly matchup, where the points are accumulated for that week only. We also award daily wins vs. weekly. We award 7 wins\loses each week and 1 extra win for total points

@Zombies - I'll check out CBS, I use them for a weekly head to head point league. Thanks

I'm a Yahoo fan. Personally, I would do change my league's settings to something that would fit within Yahoo's setup.

My big money league use CBS and I really like it, but it's too expensive. The league is nice, but I hate that the league fee is taken out of the winnings.

@lavaman - I was on Yahoo's site and the head to head leagues go by categories for wins not points and the Fantasy Points leagues accumulates points for the year. I need a site where I specify a weekly matchup, where the points are accumulated for that week only. We also award daily wins vs. weekly. We award 7 wins\loses each week and 1 extra win for total points

@Zombies - I'll check out CBS, I use them for a weekly head to head point league. Thanks

My bad...sorry. I don't play the H to H leagues so I wouldn't know.

Good luck, looks like you're getting lots of good advice so far.

I loved it. It did everything I asked for and more. Unfortunately, more than half of the rest of the league didn't like it as much (I think they missed the "flash" of our previous site, CBS).

I loved it. It did everything I asked for and more. Unfortunately, more than half of the rest of the league didn't like it as much (I think they missed the "flash" of our previous site, CBS).

As I understand it, Onroto is the old TQ stats guys which was a site our league absolutely LOVED before it was sold and taken over and guys who didnt know what they were doing went in and screwed the whole thing up. We moved over to custom stat as our league is a dynasty keeper league that guys are active year round with message boards, trades, etc, plus as commish I always have things I need to answer and access so I need to go back, sometimes a few years so we pay for leagues that keep s up all year and have all of the things we want.

We are changing over to Onroto and our guys are so pumped we found the old TQ stats, I dont think Im gonna have to pay for a drink all night at our draft.

I think what people want/like depends on their experience in fantasy sports. So for those who were in fantasy sports pre-internet and especially those leagues that are old school: no free add/drops (DL Minors only) and everything goes through commish, keeper league with salaries contracts minor leaguers etc...TQ/Onroto was awesome plus they had a huge data base of players as an example, they had Diasuke Matzuzaka in their system 2 years before he came to play in the bigs. But if you are post-internet roto guy in 43 leagues, head to head changing line ups, picking up and dropping guys as the wind blows, Ive found those guys prefer the ESPN, CBS, Yahoo type of service.

Our league has been around since the early 90's when our then commissioner did stats by hand/excel using the Sunday paper that had all of the MLB stats and many of our owners have been around a while, but a few of the newer guys that have joined in the last 4-5-6 years have a time or two mentioned "why dont we use Yahoo, its free" because it doesn meet this leagues needs.

As I understand it, Onroto is the old TQ stats guys which was a site our league absolutely LOVED before it was sold and taken over and guys who didnt know what they were doing went in and screwed the whole thing up.

I'm with you there. We loved TQS and I thought everyone would love onroto as well. Guess I was wrong...

Our league has been around since the early 90's when our then commissioner did stats by hand/excel using the Sunday paper that had all of the MLB stats and many of our owners have been around a while, but a few of the newer guys that have joined in the last 4-5-6 years have a time or two mentioned "why dont we use Yahoo, its free" because it doesn meet this leagues needs.

We're entering our 12th season and over the last few years the "let's go to Yahoo, it's free" sentiment has been popping up to the point that this off-season the majority of our owners voted to switch to Yahoo. However, since Yahoo can't handle our league's quirks (custom stat categories, players who qualify at DH can play OF) we can't switch. Not sure what we're going to do about that...

If it is all about customization then you gotta go with CBS. Yahoo does not allow salary cap nor does ESPN with keepers and so forth. CBS allows, keepers, Salary, customized stats. Contracts (we use them) and other stuff, better live scoring, better message board capabilities, better history keeping and so on. For Football ESPN is fine but for baseball nothing is better than CBS, sadly it is outrageously priced.

CBS is a bit pricey, but they are top notch IMO... CBS is worth the price and breaks down to only $15 per person in a ten man league...

How much is CBS? im looking to move my money league away from Yahoo to somewhere with more bells and whistles.

How much is CBS? im looking to move my money league away from Yahoo to somewhere with more bells and whistles.

CBS is $150 if you sign up by 2/8/11. After that it's $180.

I am beginning a 10 team, NL only auction league this year and two of the position categories I want to have are 2b/ss/3b and 1b/of, rather than MI, CI and a 4th OF. I am hoping Yahoo will allow this, but am unsure. Has anyone else ever tried these positions and if so, what service should I go through. Positions would be as follows:

C-

1b-

2b-

3b-

ss-

2b/ss/3b

1b-of

OF

OF

CF

It's looking like my league is going to vote to change stat services for 2011 (we were with onroto.com last year). I've been looking around at the major services out there (Yahoo, ESPN, CBS, etc.) and can't confirm which ones allow leagues to use custom categories (we have 4). I know CBS can do it, we were with them for a few seasons, but I'm not sure on the rest. Does anyone know for sure if other stat services allow for custom scoring categories?

We use Custom Stat Services (CSS). They allow you pick from about 30 batting and 30 pitching categories. Their customer service is excellent.

Just checked them out...$16 per team. That's more than CBS's early bird price.

They do have good customer service, but we are leaving them. Like I said, the guys were huge fans of the old TQ and so we are going to onroto, as I began changing rosters over this week, I noticed one of the HUGE reasons why we loved that league, their minor league player database. We have a minor league roster where we get 3 minor league picks every year (they can be traded) and basically you hang onto those guys until they get called up then you have some options about when to activate, etc.

But as Im entering guys like Yu Darvish from Japan or Michael Inoa the teenage kid in the A's system, it came back so quick why I loved their database. On the other hand, CustomStat a lot of times when you enter rosters wont even have guys if they are not on a team, then you have to do it manually.

They are $16 a team, we have 13 teams now so that is $208? Pretty steep for what is out there and another reason we left is that we are looking for a service that has blind bid WAIVERS, many have it for free agents, but we only can pick guys up when a guy goes on DL or sent to minors, then when that guy returns, you choose between the original and free agent pick up and whichever you keep goes on the waiver wire and this year that process will result in the cost of that waiver pick up and whatever the high bid will become his salary. Anyhow they wouldnt add a BB Waiver even though they already have the exact system in place for BBFA. Onroto said they dont have it but would put one in for us and they are $99 for the league.

Archived