NBC Sports Edge Forums

is Frank Francisco a keeper now?

ssmarsh

I have Francisco for $17 in a 10 team AL only keeper. We can keep up to 7 and right now he's not making the cut. However, now that he's been dealt to Toronto and will most likely be their closer, has his keeper potential increased? FWIW, closers tend to go around $25 in my league.

“Frank Francisco is a guy we’ve liked for quite some time,” Anthopoulos said. “He has closing experience and will compete for a chance to close. This is going to be an open competition.”

They got Rauch and Dotel as well. I don't think Frank's closing experience is really solid enough to think he'll win this battle outright.

"Frank Francisco is a guy we've liked for quite some time," Anthopoulos said. "He has closing experience and will compete for a chance to close. This is going to be an open competition."

They got Rauch and Dotel as well. I don't think Frank's closing experience is really solid enough to think he'll win this battle outright.

Who woulda guess that Gregg woulda ran with the job last year with Downs and Frasor there last year. To much of a crap shoot when all 3 are right handed.

I have Francisco for $17 in a 10 team AL only keeper. We can keep up to 7 and right now he's not making the cut. However, now that he's been dealt to Toronto and will most likely be their closer, has his keeper potential increased? FWIW, closers tend to go around $25 in my league.

I would not keep him at that price. Closers are so unpredictable every year and I would think you could use that $17 on a more stable closer in the auction...

I have to agree with the general line of thinking here. I like Francisco, he was rather solid last year outside of his horrible horrible April. I don't think he's a keeper, and I have a feeling that you could potentially re-draft him for less than $17. How much did Rauch and Gregg go for last year? I think that is comparison for draft time. Both guys were in line for the job, but plenty of specualation on whether or not it was theirs. In my AL draft last year, Rauch and Gregg went for $9 each...and my league is similar to yours that closers with the job start off around $25.

I like Francisco's chances against Dotel and Rauch, but he is a bigger health risk than both of them.

How much did Rauch and Gregg go for last year? I think that is comparison for draft time. Both guys were in line for the job, but plenty of specualation on whether or not it was theirs.

We draft after the season starts so everyone role is known. Rauch (opening day closer) went for $22, Gregg (not opening day closer)for $5.

I like Francisco's chances against Dotel and Rauch, but he is a bigger health risk than both of them.

I think Francisco will close as well, but I'll wait and see. If he goes in as the closer, he won't go for less than $17.

We draft after the season starts so everyone role is known. Rauch (opening day closer) went for $22, Gregg (not opening day closer)for $5.

I think Francisco will close as well, but I'll wait and see. If he goes in as the closer, he won't go for less than $17.

When do you have to have your final keepers set?

Not until March 30th so I have plenty of time.

I wouldn't keep him, they got too many options in their bullpen. Plus Toronto will likely keep going back and fourth between closers all year and not sticking to just one pitcher.

Hey ssmarsh! It's definitely a situation to monitor, but at this point, I think it's difficult to gauge exactly how the Jays will handle the 9th inning duties (kind of like 2010). If it remains similar leading towards your deadline, you may be able to re-obtain Fransico at a lower salary just due to the uncertainty. Personally, I like him to close over the others (and I think AA feels the same, as he has been high on him for a while and I've heard several interviews here in TO with Anthopolus and his continual praise for Fransicso). That being said, it will ultimately be Farrell's call and they do have other 'capable' guys in Dotel, Rauch, and I guess Frasor to an extent. If the closer is not 'officially' named, you may have a good chance at landing him 'below value', but I doubt that's the case, depending on when your draft is held. Probably too much of a gamble at $17, imo.......$10 or less, not so much.

Archived