NBC Sports Edge Forums

2011 LABR and TOUT drafts

ssmarsh

In case anyone is interested, this was posted today at the TOUT site:

This year’s Tout Wars auctions will take place in New York City the weekend of March 19-20.

The drafts will be tracked as a live blog at www.toutwars.com, and at least some of the auctions will be covered over XM Sirius radio (details to be announced).

Dates and Times:

TOUT AL: Saturday, March 19, 9 a.m.

TOUT MIXED: Saturday, March 19, 3 p.m.

TOUT NL: Sunday, March 20, 10 a.m.

This year’s auctions are being hosted by MLB Advanced Media, in their offices, so there will be no onsite viewing, but we look forward to seeing you on the Internet and the radio.

Hidden

Say your going to the LABR, give me three players on offense that you think would be the best combo, next give the nucleus of your ptiching staff...something like two SP's and a closer. The offense you are looking for the best foundation. In pitching, you are looking for a foundation, but the pirce is just as important.

Hidden
Say your going to the LABR, give me three players on offense that you think would be the best combo, next give the nucleus of your ptiching staff...something like two SP's and a closer. The offense you are looking for the best foundation. In pitching, you are looking for a foundation, but the pirce is just as important.

They are Auctions, so it's a little different than a draft, but I'm going to be in a 15-team Mixed Auction upcoming, which they run an identical format in the ToutWars, so I'll give you my picks for that, since I haven't done much AL/NL split analysis this year.

Looking to get Miguel Cabrera, Adrian Gonzalez or Joey Votto at 1B, then Choo, Kemp or Cruz at OF with a Kinsler, Weeks, Phillips type at 2B and a solid 2nd tier C like Montero, Santana, Wieters or Soto as my #1 C. I'm looking for a good front line starter like Cliff Lee or Adam Wainwright, with a Tommy Hanson or Max Scherzer as my #2 and Soria, Marmol or Papelbon as my #1 closer. With that I should have enough $ left to get solid 3B, #2 OF & #2 Closer and a serviceable SS. Then just look for for value to fill in the CI, MI, last 3 OF, #2 C and DH plus the other 5 SP.

Hidden

SS:Hanley/Tulo (doesnt matter which one)

1B: (AP, Votto, Agonz, Tex, Miggy, Prince etc)

3B: (Youk?) or grab top OF (Cruz, Kemp etc and wait and snag Panda or Aramis/Beltre cheaper)

I like grabbing those positions because i think C/2B is deep, so i'll wait and i like getting OF's like Drew Stubbs, Bruce, Victorino if i load up on 1B/3B power early.

One or two of: Lester/Kershaw/Josh Johnson/Hanson (little cheaper then the Roy/Lince's)

Closers: Soria/Matt Thornton/A. Bailey/Kimbrel/Chris Perez/Broxton (assuming he'll close and this is the year he might be a value play since he won't be going so high.)

So im looking for one sure stud (soria) and some upside)

Cheaper:

2B: Raburn, Beckham, Prado.

C; I'll wait with catcher (Carlos Santana, Soto, Posada, Wieters, JP)

RP: (To not only work my era/whip/k/9, but i'd want a few of these in case they become closers and give me some depth/trade options. Daniel Bard, Gregerson, Kuo, Meek, A. Chapman

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned, the final results are found in the link above....does anyone other then myself find it unusual that there are not any players with a $40 salary (highest at $37, from what I recall), considering it's an AL Only setting? It may be because my AL Only league is a keeper, but still would have thought some of the 'elite' names would have fetched at or above the $40 threshold. Any thoughts on the results / outcome of the salary values?

does anyone other then myself find it unusual that there are not any players with a $40 salary (highest at $37, from what I recall), considering it's an AL Only setting?

I don't find it odd at all. The "experts" never like to overpay, especially for saves.

I don't find it odd at all. The "experts" never like to overpay, especially for saves.

That was one thing I noticed right away, lol. I think my initial interpretation, as mentioned, on the 'high' end salaries was a result of my involvement in single leagues has been with 'keepers', which I assume increase salaries to an extent. Out of curiosity, how close were the LABR results to your AL auction, on average?

I'm not sure how it is set-up to be honest....ssmarsh may know whether they also do a NL Only and / or mixed league auction.

Sorry, I just notice in ssmarsh's 1st post that he makes note of the NL 'TOUT' draft (March 20th). I'm assuming they have a LABR one as well for NL only....maybe check out one of the links and see if there's any mention of it?

I just got back from LABR. I overpaid for a couple players for sure. Saves overall have lost value in leagues. I think they were miss priced in the early days when leagues switched from 4 X 4 to 5 X 5>

Did anyone listen to the broadcast? I'm the owner that bought Hanley, Tulo, and Rollins in the NL and A-Rod, Tex, and Ellsbury in the AL.

I just got back from LABR. I overpaid for a couple players for sure. Saves overall have lost value in leagues. I think they were miss priced in the early days when leagues switched from 4 X 4 to 5 X 5>

Did anyone listen to the broadcast? I'm the owner that bought Hanley, Tulo, and Rollins in the NL and A-Rod, Tex, and Ellsbury in the AL.

May I ask why you picked three players at the weakest position and then proceeded to fill your roster out with has-beens and rookies? It might be why you've been playing that league for 18 years without a title win.

May I ask why you picked three players at the weakest position and then proceeded to fill your roster out with has-beens and rookies? It might be why you've been playing that league for 18 years without a title win.

why you blasting a guy that has been in tout/Labr drafts for 18 years?

Let me guess you think its that easy?

you're no expert. You probably couldn't even beat me let alone a tout war veteran.

show some respect bud thats all; this guy obviously knows a thing or two. Maybe he had a bad draft OR maybe he thinks he'll do great. Who knows how it'll turn out.

Do they have FAAB? and how come the AL has 12 teams and NL has 13?

The AL has 14 teams and the NL has 16. Yes there is FAAB. We have a $100 for the whole season. If you have a player hurt and they are out for the season or land on the DL for 60 days, you are awarded the player's price back for the free agent budget.

It sounds like you didn't do your homework. Greg Ambrosius has been playing for 18 years. I join him last year and I made all the calls. I came up with a plan and I executed it at the draft table. I've had success in the high stakes market.

As for picking three players at the weakest position, didn't we take 3 or the top 4 options? Don't you think another team would be interested in trading for a shortstop and there's a chance they overpay?

Maybe you should take the time to understand the player pool. When you look at the reserve round, did we miss a better option?

We took Shelby Miller because I think he makes the big league at some point this year and he is a high upside pitcher.

We took Paul Malholm as I viewed him the best starter available when it was my pick. In this league, he is a player that I can put into my lineup and then reserve later. I knew another team was going to roster any available starter.

We took John Ely because I thought he had some success last year before struggling. I think he could help me if the Dodgers need to use him as a starter. He is pitching well in spring training.

We took Mitchell Boggs as insurance for Jason Mott. In case you didn't know it, Boggs was throwing 98 last year when he was moved into the bullpen.

Dee Gordon is a plus base stealer that will value on the open market if he gets called up. I think Furcal is an injury risk. I also think there's a chance Uribe could be moved to 3B which would create a job for someone.

So Josh Barfield is a has been? Well there's a chance he could earn playing time if Utley went on the DL. In the 6th round or a reserve draft, I felt he was worth a shot.

So if I'm dead money, I'll invite you to play in the NFBC or WCOFB. This is where I play fantasy baseball.

I looked through the NL LABR auction yesterday and thought the Hanley-Tulo-Rollins buys were fascinating. I have a few questions if you're willing to discuss the strategy behind it.

1) Did you plan on taking all three, or were you caught price enforcing on one or more?

2) In what order were the three SS auctioned off, and when in the overall auction did this occur?

3) If you did plan on hoarding those three, what reaction were you looking to cause?

I looked through the NL LABR auction yesterday and thought the Hanley-Tulo-Rollins buys were fascinating. I have a few questions if you're willing to discuss the strategy behind it.

1) Did you plan on taking all three, or were you caught price enforcing on one or more?

2) In what order were the three SS auctioned off, and when in the overall auction did this occur?

3) If you did plan on hoarding those three, what reaction were you looking to cause?

I went in the auction looking to roster Hanley and Tulo. I had a price of $78 in mind. We paid $76. We were sitting in seat 10. We called out Hanley to get him on the board. I believe it is important to get important players on the table as quick as possible. If you miss on a key player in your plan, you have more inventory to choose from if you miss.

Rollins was called out in the next few picks. My plan was to roster Colby Rasmus. I had a price of $21 on my cheat sheet. I really don't price enforce unless I interested in the player. I felt he was going to be sold for $22. I bid $23. In my mind, he was replacing Rasmus in my plan. They have a slightly different skill set, but I thought it was tough to find speed this year in the NL. When the owner that bid $24, I decided to go one more dollar. As soon as we won him, I told my partner (Greg) that I was still going to roster Tulo.

I think we will move Rollins pretty quickly. I'd like him to play well early.

I felt Freeman was a viable low price option at 1B. We called him out and my price was $12. We won him for $13.

I think the rest of the middle inventory went pretty much full price. I was happy I could sneak Bill Hall through earlier. I know he has batting average risk, but for short money I could get 20+ home runs with full time at bats.

Archived