NBC Sports Edge Forums

2011 LABR and TOUT drafts

ssmarsh

You didn't bring this up specifically, but I assume the thought behind that plan is to exploit recent trends in positional scarcity.

What I mean by that is, especially given the experience and talent in LABR, the auction is going to be more efficient than a normal league. Significant bargains are rare when the players are so familiar with the market, and in many cases, are the very people that help dictate market value for players because their fantasy content is so widely read.

By rostering 3 of the premier SS on the board, you forced multiple teams to roster below replacement-level SS and MI, and (I think) changed the dynamic of the auction. Team Carty spent $38 on Schumaker, Theriot and Uribe. You could argue that the middle tier SS (Drew, Castro, Furcal, Desmond) went for more than they were expected to.

A lot of the advice that is given by experts is defensive ("Don't overpay for saves/starting pitching," "Make sure you get a power bat at 1B.") It's refreshing to see someone come out with an exploitative mindset.

You didn't bring this up specifically, but I assume the thought behind that plan is to exploit recent trends in positional scarcity.

What I mean by that is, especially given the experience and talent in LABR, the auction is going to be more efficient than a normal league. Significant bargains are rare when the players are so familiar with the market, and in many cases, are the very people that help dictate market value for players because their fantasy content is so widely read.

By rostering 3 of the premier SS on the board, you forced multiple teams to roster below replacement-level SS and MI, and (I think) changed the dynamic of the auction. Team Carty spent $38 on Schumaker, Theriot and Uribe. You could argue that the middle tier SS (Drew, Castro, Furcal, Desmond) went for more than they were expected to.

A lot of the advice that is given by experts is defensive ("Don't overpay for saves/starting pitching," "Make sure you get a power bat at 1B.") It's refreshing to see someone come out with an exploitative mindset.

I guess the key is having success with any plan. In comparison to Team Carty, I think Hall, Colvin, and Burrell could hit 60 homeruns for $23.

Saves are tough to buy in any trading format. You could buy a better player for less money and then trade for saves.

I had Castro down for $19 on my prices, but I wouldn't have paid that much. Furcal and Desmond went too high. I had Drew down for $20. I have this feeling he could surprise this year.

What makes you think Miller will be called up this year?

I think he is the best arm in the system. They lost Wainwright. Carpenter has already had problems this spring. I don't have a lot of faith in Kyle Lohse.

Last year he was in the big league camp working with Duncan. He's going to start the year at AA. He's probably only worth taking a shot in NL only league or 50 round draft.

I apologize - perhaps the rosters are a lot deeper than I realized, and I have never played an FAAB baseball league before. Your post sounded like a "look at me" post which I highly detest on these boards. For the record, I think your AL team is a champion team.

The dual tactic of 1) loading up on talent at shallow positions w/ hopes to trade and 2) throwing monkey wrenches into drafting tactics is highly risky, imho. You hope and pray to be able to flip them for better statistical performances at deeper positions when you could probably have just drafted that guy at that slot - which means you have to be half lucky and half smart. I tried this same strategy in my earlier days of FBB and it didn't work out so well for me.

I don't see any of the guys you referenced in your earlier post (Miller, Boggs, Barfield, etc.) on your team - am I not looking at the right thing?

I apologize - perhaps the rosters are a lot deeper than I realized, and I have never played an FAAB baseball league before. Your post sounded like a "look at me" post which I highly detest on these boards. For the record, I think your AL team is a champion team.

The dual tactic of 1) loading up on talent at shallow positions w/ hopes to trade and 2) throwing monkey wrenches into drafting tactics is highly risky, imho. You hope and pray to be able to flip them for better statistical performances at deeper positions when you could probably have just drafted that guy at that slot - which means you have to be half lucky and half smart. I tried this same strategy in my earlier days of FBB and it didn't work out so well for me.

I don't see any of the guys you referenced in your earlier post (Miller, Boggs, Barfield, etc.) on your team - am I not looking at the right thing?

I'm not sure what you were looking at when you saw the team. My first thought was that Barfield was the has been you were talking about which makes sense.

I really don't think the key to the offense is the shortstops. I need players like Belt and Freeman to step up to be difference makers. I saw Belt when I was in Arizona. He crush a three run bomb deep to right field. It wasn't off a name pitcher, but he looked like the power he showed last year was for real.

Rollins will be easy to move. Plus the most help on the waiver wire will be from the outfield position. We are weak at the catcher position, but we may only need 10 homeruns.

In these type of leagues, you did well if you get over 200 HR's and have 130 plus steals.

I'm not sure what you were looking at when you saw the team. My first thought was that Barfield was the has been you were talking about which makes sense.

I really don't think the key to the offense is the shortstops. I need players like Belt and Freeman to step up to be difference makers. I saw Belt when I was in Arizona. He crush a three run bomb deep to right field. It wasn't off a name pitcher, but he looked like the power he showed last year was for real.

Rollins will be easy to move. Plus the most help on the waiver wire will be from the outfield position. We are weak at the catcher position, but we may only need 10 homeruns.

In these type of leagues, you did well if you get over 200 HR's and have 130 plus steals.

This.

The has-beens I was referring to are Burrell and Bill Hall (who are arguably your best OF - yikes!) and the rookies should be obvious.

This.

The has-beens I was referring to are Burrell and Bill Hall (who are arguably your best OF - yikes!) and the rookies should be obvious.

Maybe you don't see the value in Hall this year. He's only 31 and he has 20 home run potential from a middle infield position. We later add Eric Young Jr for his upside in speed.

Burrell may not look attractive, but in this format he has value. He hit 20 Hr's last year. He looked like he was in good shape in Arizona. If he fails, we have Belt who has a chance to steal some at bats.

As for outfield, we kill every other team at 2B and SS. We just need to find power and at bats. Have you ever played in an NL or AL only league? There are only 128 possible starters. With 13 teams, that's only 10 starters per team. How many of the real players only have part time roles?

Maybe you don't see the value in Hall this year. He's only 31 and he has 20 home run potential from a middle infield position. We later add Eric Young Jr for his upside in speed.

Burrell may not look attractive, but in this format he has value. He hit 20 Hr's last year. He looked like he was in good shape in Arizona. If he fails, we have Belt who has a chance to steal some at bats.

As for outfield, we kill every other team at 2B and SS. We just need to find power and at bats. Have you ever played in an NL or AL only league? There are only 128 possible starters. With 13 teams, that's only 10 starters per team. How many of the real players only have part time roles?

2B is highly debatable, but you should kill everyone at SS - you spent $101 (38% of your budget) on ONE position. Meanwhile, most of the other teams have everyday players at most positions on their teams. So let's say the strategy of people overpaying for one of your three SS works by May or June - you'll still more than likely be in the hole for that first month when you're scraping for ABs from your players w/o fulltime positions (EY, Belt, Cousins, Heisey, Ramos) and be playing from behind the whole season unless you really soak someone - and you just said depth was a problem in AL/NL Only leagues. Who's going to swap you multiple FT players for Hanley or Tulo, let alone Rollins?

and im still wondering why these are different size leagues here? If you could elaborate?

The American league has 14 teams and the National league has 16 teams. To address the larger player pool in the NL, they added another team and a tenth pitching slot. The AL has 126 possible starting hitters (14 X 9) and the NL has 128 (8 x 16) or 10.6 and 10.8 per league. Every team is going to have three or four holes in their lineup. The key is finding holes that turn into at bats later in the year. Many times players will roster a weak player with no upside rather than a player with upside during the year. Would you rather own a player that will get 200 at bats all year or a June call up that may get 300 the rest of the way?

I would rather have the players with the most upside. I would rather have Moustakous or Montero then some bum that gets me 2 homers. I get the option of having trade bait with guys like that too. It would be awfully hard to move Stubby Clapp and his minimal production i would assume.

Hidden
I would rather have the players with the most upside. I would rather have Moustakous or Montero then some bum that gets me 2 homers. I get the option of having trade bait with guys like that too. It would be awfully hard to move Stubby Clapp and his minimal production i would assume.

Interesting story about Montero, I did an AL auction league two days before heading to LABR. I wanted to buy Montero in that league and I had $7 as my price I was willing to pay. Unfortunately I called out Montero after Posada was rostered by a good owner (NFBC online champion last year - $85,000). I bid seven on him and he went 8. I bid 9 because I thought he would go higher because he owned Posada. He did. I bid 11 out of spite and he bought him for $12. He better have a great year to earn his salary.

Hidden
Its 16 team mixed.

These are players I forced into a 15 team league. I'm plus 100 in dollar values (4000 spent - 3900 budget). Many of the back end players will change. This just give me a feel for players prices going into the auction and I then have to come up with a game plan. If your league has keepers, it changes the whole playing field.

1B Albert Pujols 42

1B Joey Votto 34

1B Miguel Cabrera 33

1B Mark Teixeira 29

1B Adrian Gonzalez 29

1B Ryan Howard 28

1B Prince Fielder 27

1B Kevin Youkilis 23

1B Adam Dunn 20

1B Paul Konerko 17

1B Billy Butler 17

1B Justin Morneau 16