NBC Sports Edge Forums

Carlos Quentin 2011 Season Outlook

Spina

Opening Day: Triple away from the cycle in only the 4th Inning

3-3, 2 Rs - 5 RBIs, 2B, HR in the 4th

Straight Mashin the ball

(searched for his thread, didnt see one)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got him in every league this year. His injuries are usually pretty flukey, he does get hit by a ton of pitches which has caused ailments. But the guy when healthy is one of the top mashers in the AL. Only 28 years old the guy is in his peak years in one of the best lineups and hitters park in the league.

What the hell has gotten into this guy?? Went 4/6 today with 2 runs, a homer, and 3 RBI. Batting .500 so far this season. Unreal!!

He's always been a nice talent. He just hasn't been able to stay healthy the last few seasons and earlier in his career. He was raking the last two weeks of spring training and the results have carried into the regular season. Just wish I owned him!

117 I Know More Than You... Carlos Quentin (OF CHW)

Such a Beautiful Sight :-)

Really though is anybody noticing that Quentin (who has a history of being prone to HBP's for crowding the inside of the plate) isn't crowding it as much this year? Maybe allowing him to get his arms extended and able to turn on his inside pitches? That 2-run double to give the White Sox a 7-6 lead in the 9th he hit was a 92 MPH fastball in on his hands that he had been getting jammed a TON of last year. But this time he was able to turn on it just enough to land it into Left Center field.

From Buy-Low earlier:

It's a "buy low" thread meaning that you try to get a favorable trade from another owner for a good player who is currently playing under his potential. Quentin is not a good player and is currently playing over his potential and as you pointed out needs to be ridden until he cool off. This kind of acquisition would more appropriately go in the WW Touts thread.

Well, it's blasphemy to suggest that Quentin may indeed be a buy low. But didn't he wind up around 180ish ADP? That isn't too high, and he's looked very nice so far. I don't think he'll keep it up all year, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. 3/4 of what he's doing now and he's still an incredible value (and was indeed a buy-low at that, and still even current, value).

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyba...4900823/sliders

Quentin is not a good player? He was a 6th round pick just 2 years ago, and this particular author has Q ranked 1 among names that have their current production impacting their long-term value. So at least one person has sampled the kool-aid, and there are certainly more out there that will keep crawling out. Sure, he may be a sell-high, but it's not really a WW tout since he's creeped up to now over 90% owned even in Yahoo. I don't believe that fits WW tout criteria, so perhaps you're missing the point yourself. And my point is that at his current value, if even a fair amount of that guys' pipe dream comes true, it's sweet and was indeed a buy low.

I don't see how it was crazy to suggest. Why do some think he is already a sell-high? What kind of sale can be made already, with him fresh off a fairly longshot 180ish ADP for his potential all-year if healthy. Is a "sell-high" on that getting back much more than the 160's-180's in ADP value this early? If so, who are those names? I would really like to know because I think this is one of the more interesting names making waves in FBB circles right now. Thanks in advance.

Whoever said Quentin is not a very good player is a jealous person who did not draft him this season. Quentin is one of the top right handed power hitters in all of baseball. Just a few seasons ago he had the MVP wrapped up if he did not miss the entire month of September and he still had 36 jacks. He gets hit by a lot of pitches and his injuries have been kind of flukey in that sense. If you look at him this year he is not standing on home plate like in years past so maybe that will help him get hit by less pitches. But if this guy stays healthy, he is a sure fire 35 HR 120 RBI slugger in the middle of that top 5 offense. Only injuries can hold the slugger down.

On the "buy low" subject: That thread was locked to avoid the continuation of the nastiness. I kindly ask that you don't continue it here.

On Q, I think he could be a solid value over the course of the season but mainly as a home park platoon guy. His career line at the Cell is very impressive ... actually I'd call it almost amazing. Outside of the cozy home park, not so much.

Over 647 AB spanning 185 games at US Cell ...

124-52-134-4-.270

On the "buy low" subject: That thread was locked to avoid the continuation of the nastiness. I kindly ask that you don't continue it here.

On Q, I think he could be a solid value over the course of the season but mainly as a home park platoon guy. His career line at the Cell is very impressive ... actually I'd call it almost amazing. Outside of the cozy home park, not so much.

Over 647 AB spanning 185 games at US Cell ...

124-52-134-4-.270

He has a near .800 ops on the road the past 3 years. I would hardly call that a home park platoon guy, that is being way to over the top. The guy is an elite power hitter in the prime of his career, you do not relegate him to platoon status, that is crazy.

I drafted Quentin late as my OF3 and sold high. I will preface this statement by saying I think he has a great year, but the probabilities say he won't stay healthy for the entire year. Hitting ahead of Dunn, Konerko, and Rios is a great spot to be in though. But if he stays healthy, he could put up 40/120.

Hidden
I drafted Quentin late as my OF3 and sold high. I will preface this statement by saying I think he has a great year, but the probabilities say he won't stay healthy for the entire year. Hitting ahead of Dunn, Konerko, and Rios is a great spot to be in though. But if he stays healthy, he could put up 40/120.

who did you get for him?

• Root Admin
He has a near .800 ops on the road the past 3 years. I would hardly call that a home park platoon guy, that is being way to over the top. The guy is an elite power hitter in the prime of his career, you do not relegate him to platoon status, that is crazy.

The poster probably is referencing the fact that away from home in 09' Quentin hit .207 w/ .687 OPS. In 10', he hit .214 w/ .690 OPS. Folks are going to have to decide whether Quentin is more like 08' Quentin (career year) or more like the last two years. Probably somewhere in the middle, but even that isn't great. Even if you include his career year, he's a .245 hitter away from Cell.

Hitting ahead of Dunn, Konerko, and Rios is a great spot to be in though. But if he stays healthy, he could put up 40/120.

Agreed. Unfortunately, healthy and Quentin rarely go together for long. Last year he played a career high in games and that was only 131. His career high in ABs is only 480. There are a lot of reasons to like Quentin -- uber power, great lineup, plus ballpark. He has a weird crazy low BABIP, but that just seems to be him. Also, b/c of Dunn's presence at DH, there is nowhere to hide for Quentin. He's going to have to play the OF most games he starts and thus far he's shown no ability to stay healthy for a full season. The rigors of playing OF most games may be too much for him to bear. He may be the ultimate tease..........or the difference maker for owners......

From Ozzie:

ChiSox won't 'overplay' Quentin: Although he was not in right field for Thursday's home opener against the Rays, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen shifted Carlos Quentin to DH with Adam Dunn sidelined. Guillen admitted it's going to be a juggling act with Quentin's playing time. “He’s swinging the bat well,” Guillen told reporters. “One thing about it: We will protect him [and] not overplay him.

BTW, his MDP was 144. 118 in ESPN. 145 in CBS. He's 99%+ owned on both platforms currently and his ownership hasn't increased in the last week. He's was drafted in almost all formats and by ADP was drafted as a starter for most teams.....Just an FYI....

Naturally I'd play him on the road if he's hitting well but past performance indicates most Chisox hit better at Cell and Q really brings to light the Cell's park factor for power hitters.

It's my opinion that sub .800 OPS doesn't really cut it when it's relatively simple to platoon him with guys who are better. Of course, a lot depends a lot on one's bench situation, league setup (OF vs RF/CF/LF), league type, etc but I don't think it's a crazy idea to platoon Q at all. I wouldn't tolerate his exceptionally poor road stats from '09 and '10 but to each his own.

Whoever said Quentin is not a very good player is a jealous person who did not draft him this season.

He didn't even say 'very', he said he is not a good player. Period. I'd think there is a difference between even 'good' and 'very good'.

For my part... I look at it as a point on a value curve. Starting from a bit undervalued ADP, commonly identified as a sleeper, he was still on that first page of most-added on Yahoo, even today. This will probably be the last day there too as he's now up to 90+% ownership there and I'm sure ESPN is way over that as well, so it's not a waiver tout. If what the linked author suggests is even 75% true, and you got in at this point on the value curve (lots of skepticism involved), how was that not buying low? You could do a lot worse than that bet.

Keep in mind that back in 2008, when Quentin had 36 jacks and 100 rbi, he also opened the year with a 5-game hitting streak and hit .300+ with a homer and pile of RBI too. As you all know, Quentin is ahead of that pace currently. It could indeed be a sign of a great bounceback year. Obviously, it could also be a bag of injuries waiting to happen and a sweet sell-high in 4 to 6 weeks.

At the end of the day, his ADP was particularly low, his waiver availability too lengthy most places, and talk of him as anything but your sell-high joker, an early season tease, was not being received well, LOL. Well IMO, at the value you can probably still get him now, he'll produce well by-value and indeed be that solid buy-low. It's like gaming the sell-highs and the threads show it right now when it's breaking the most. As they say, we'll just have to see . . .

Compare him to Luke Scott, whose ADP was 50 picks later and is only owned in 50% of Yahoo leagues. Higher career BA? Scott. Higher career OPS? Scott. 2006-2010 runs? Scott...HR's? Scott...RBI's? Scott... Highest single year OPS?...Scott

Why is Quentin valued so highly relative to Scott by everyone (including me)? It's all based on what we saw in 2008 and the hope that that represents his true potential if he can get through a season without plantar fasciitis or breaking his own wrist. Anyone who drafted him ahead of Luke Scott already gambled on that proposition, and irrational exuberence over his first 6 games aside, he's not quite out of the woods yet.

If you own him, you have to thrilled with the idea that you got a potential 100/45/120 guy while everyone else was picking up their 4th SP. Would you now be willing to trade him for Adam Jones or Nick Swisher? Doubtful. How about Markakis? Delmon Young? Jay Bruce? J-UP? Holliday? What would it take for you to actually give him away? We're probably into 5th round territory before you'd even consider an offer for someone that you got 10-15 rounds later. That's a HUGE sell-high opportunity.

I think that what you're saying is that Quentin could very well wind up with better numbers than anyone taken after round three, which means that even if someone has to give away their 5th round pick to get him, they could wind up ahead. While that's true, their perspective will be different than yours. You would have elite numbers out of a draft position that should have given you mediocrity. They'll have elite production out of a draft spot where they were counting on some very good numbers anyway. Value? Maybe. Did they buy low? Absolutely not.

Anyone who has significantly reassessed their preseason appraisal of Quentin based on what they've seen so far is making a mistake. He's not going to be a .485 batter and I doubt that anyone is surprised that he could hit 2 homers in a single week. The questions revolve around durability and consistency, and those haven't been addressed at all. If I owned him, I'd keep him and pat myself on the back if he winds up with career numbers.

Quentin pinch ran for after hitting a double in the 8th. Did he get hurt? White Sox are winning by 1.

No. This happens all the time. His replacement is about twice as fast on the basepaths and Quentin gets pulled for a defensive replacement a lot. He's the worst defensive RF in the majors.

Archived