NBC Sports Edge Forums

Howie Kendrick 2011 Season Outlook

Spina

Scouts have always said that Howie is a future batting champ so I knew the hits would be there, but wasn't expecting many HRs. He just hit his 2nd.

I'm not going to say it's all the wind - but the power display today is being helped by a major wind. It's weird, the commentators are talking about how it's like being in Wrigley, or other bandboxes (Kaufman is a notorious tough park to hit HR's in, because of the size and lack of carry).

He's seeing the ball well, so not taking anything away from the hitting aspect, as Kendrick has always had the doubles power and a .300+ hitter profile - the power show might not be as impressive as it seems, so take it FWIW. If he's healthy (and that's a Herculean-sized IF), then a great value pick for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
Why isnt Howard getting more attention here? He has already hit 4 HR and is one of the hottest hitters in baseball. Or does everyone just assume this start is just a fluke?

I picked him up in my 14 team league as a FA. I drafted Utley late and put him on the DL. Howie was there and now I hope Utley takes his time coming back. I'm going to get my initial win of the year thanks to Howie. Maybe he has it figured out this year and can fulfill the potential.

Why isnt Howard getting more attention here?

No clue? He just hit hit 5th HR on the season - - can he hit 20 HRs this season?

No clue? He just hit hit 5th HR on the season - - can he hit 20 HRs this season?

I've been burned by him before. More than I'd really care to admit. I picked him up again this year in one league, only because I've never been accused of being the most sane or rationale person.

He certainly can hit 20 HRs this season - and I think he has the talent to possibly hit more while contributing in other categories and finishing in the top five or six at the position. After past seasons, though, I'm at the point where I really feel like I'm just riding a Kendrick hot streak and that I'll have to scrounge for a replacement sometime in the near future. It just doesn't have that "real" or "tangible" feel yet. I really hope I'm wrong, though, because I'd like to see the kid put together a good run.

I don't think he has a chance to hit 20. He is more of a line drive hitter but I hope he proves me wrong.

Kendrick hit his 6th homer tonight. He also walked twice. I am equally surprised by both the power and patience, but if both continue, huge breakout on the way.

Just noticed Howie leads my squad in HRs - - - I have Pujols, Cruz, Bautista, Quentin & Ethier :)

I'm calling 22 HRs for Howie B)

• 4 weeks later...
Hit his 7th home run today. Sure has been a pleasure owning this guy. Here's to 20 plus this year!!!

...And then left with tightness in his hamstring. Mike Scioscia likes to get too cute for his own good, and I thought that before this injury. Taking your 2b who is absolutely raking and sticking him in LF is asinine.

I've read enough of these blurbs to know that he's headed to the DL.

Howie Kendrick has confirmed that the left hamstring tightness that forced him from the Angels' Thursday afternoon loss to the Mariners isn't expected to be a big concern going forward."It's sore from running — I didn't feel anything pull," Kendrick said. "I'm optimistic. I might miss a day or two." A gimpy hamstring required two DL stints for Kendrick in 2008, but it does not sound like that will be the case this time around. Do not count on having him this evening, however. May 20, 1:05 PM

Big shock here. Of course, just to screw with my team, they'll wait a week to send him to the DL.

Howie Kendrick (hamstring) could be headed to the disabled list.Kendrick received a cortisone injection before Saturday's game and is sitting out Sunday for the third straight game. The Angels originally thought Kendrick would be available for pinch-hitting duty this weekend, but after he visit the doctor and got a shot, the plans changed. What had appeared to be a day-to-day injury looks like something that could keep Kendrick out a couple more weeks.

Unfortunately I had no other options and didn't want to drop anyone to pick up a temporary replacement. Already dealing with a few DLs on my team. So I hope he comes back at least for the 2nd half of the week. But the Angels will probably string us along and then put him on the DL.

Gee, didn't see this coming.

Angels placed 2B Howie Kendrick on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 20, with a right hamstring strain.

The Angels tried to wait around for Kendrick's condition to improve, but it's clear he wasn't going to be ready in the next couple of days. On the bright side, he would be able to return as next weekend if he makes progress. Kendrick currently leads the Angels with a .322 batting average and 57 hits

Archived