NBC Sports Edge Forums

Howie Kendrick 2011 Season Outlook

Spina

0/10 since his return... come on Howie!

I ended up benching him this week. Figured he needs at least a few days to get his timing back. He never went on a rehab stint, just came off the DL and right back in the lineup.

• 1 month later...

Why does Howie keep finding himself lower in the order behind the big veteran outfield on the Angels? He has to be their most consistent hitter this year, and his OBP has gotten better. Give the guy a chance to put up some counting stats!

Howie Kendrick is not in Wednesday's lineup for the fourth time in the last 12 games.

Kendrick didn't seem too pleased with the situation, telling reporters, "I'm not going to talk about that," before walking away. Angels manager Mike Scioscia said he just wanted to get the switch-hitting Maicer Izturis in the lineup against tough righty Scott Baker. "He's had a little time off this last week, but Howie is a big part of our team, a big part of our offense," Scioscia said. "We wanted to get another left-handed bat in there against Baker. Though the matchup is not favorable tonight, he's going to be in there virtually every day, so this week is a chance for him to recharge a bit."

Only good reason I could find is he's 1 for 11 career against Baker. But still, he should be playing, especially since he just sat on sunday. Still upset about that since half my team got benched.

He's their best hitter. That's why Scioscia believes he belongs on the bench. It's his managerial philosophy. And yes, I do think I'm smarter than him. In fact, I know it.

as much as scioscia`s yoyo treatment of kenrick over the years has frustrated me and my fellow fantasy owners, i just cant knock the guy... His approach to managing is refreshingly old school. He doesnt cater to egos and appears to have an excellent grasp on both the collective psyche of his team and of his individual players. He knows when to push his guys, when to challenge them and most importantly when to leave them alone... Honestly he might be the best manager in the league, which is really saying something considering he`s in the AL where most managers main job is scratching themselves.

FWIW i hate the angels, mostly cause im a blue jays fan and watching the angels continually be in playoff contention with teams that are usually on par with my beloved jays makes me green with envy, much like watching scioscia continuously maximize his teams efforts--i mean look at what he`s done with the 2011 Angel`s incredibly underwhelming lineup!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived