16 members have voted

1. 1. You Pick Him

• Tom Gorzelanny
    • Jake Arrieta
    • Ivan Nova
    • Brandon McCarthy
    • Jason Hammel
    • Freddy Garcia

I really like them all, but can only take 1 so YOU pick which one YOU like the rest of the way.

In no particular order:

Tom Gorzelanny

Jake Arrieta

Ivan Nova

Brandon McCarthy

Jason Hammel

Freddy Garcia

Tom Gorzelanny – 2.87 ERA – 0.90 WHIP ←---very nice – 4 QS

Have always liked his potential and it looks like he’s put it all together in Washington. Other than his stinker in his first start of the season vs. the Mets, he’s been pretty money (two or less ERs in the remaining 5 starts).

NEXT START: vs. FLA

Jake Arrieta – 4.35 ERA – 1.25 WHIP – 5 QS

One of the young guns of the O’s who’s looked more than serviceable in the AL East. He’s got two QS, no-decisions in his two times facing the Yankees and his only stinker was against the Rangers when they were hot earlier in the season (take this game out and his ERA looks a lot better). And as someone stated in his Season Outlook Thread, his schedule looks to be pretty good: Sea, @TB, Wash, KC, @Sea, Oak, TB

NEXT START: vs. SEA

Ivan Nova – 4.08 ERA – 1.36 WHIP – 4 QS

As a Yankee fan I picked him up last year and was happy enough to target him in the draft but missed out. In his last 3 starts vs. TEX, TOR, CHW he’s given up 3 ERA with a 2-hitter vs. TEX. Surprisingly he’s only given up 1 HR in his 6 starts and with being in the Yankees rotation the Ws will most definitely be there.

NEXT START: vs. KC

Brandon McCarthy – 3.26 ERA – 1.25 WHIP – 4 QS

Big dude standing at 6-7 who won’t get a lot of Ws or Ks but pitches deep into games and pitches in a great pitchers park. He’s a another guy who doesn’t give up the long ball (1 HR in 49.2 IP)

NEXT START: vs. CWS

Jason Hammel – 2.63 ERA – 1.25 WHIP – 5 QS

Pitches for one of the better hitting teams so the Ws should be there and in his last 3 starts he’s given up 2 Total ERs. Other than his first start of the season vs. LAD, he’s gotten 5 straight QS lowering his ERA to 2.63 on the season.

NEXT START: vs. NYM

Freddy Garcia – 2.88 ERA – 1.32 WHIP – 2 QS

Just like his forgotten teammate, Bartolo Colon, Freddy is a guy who most have looked past but has turned in some nice outings with a surprising amount of Ks to go along with it. In his first two starts vs. TEX and BAL he gave up only 2 hits and 0 ERs thru 6 IPs, and then TOR and DET got him for 3 and then 4 ERs - - still lots of Ks in those games (21Ks in last 18 IP). I actually had him on my squad up until the other day when I had to scramble to drop someone for Hosmer.

NEXT START: vs. KC

Thanks for any input...been debating this for a while.

Leave a link and I'll help YOU.

Can I get a little HELP?

Rock the VOTE and give me a quick reason why....Thanks and leave a LINK

I like Arrieta first or Gorzellany second.

Gorzellany was pitching pretty good last year near the start but then got removed from the rotation and then when he was put back he was hit and miss. He has been really hard to hit this year with only 21 hits in 36 innings. That will probably correct itself at some point.

Arrieta has a pretty great schedule coming up although those TB games aren't as easy with Longoria back. He has been pitching well since he blew up his 2nd start against Texas.

So far everyone seems as split as I am - - 1 vote each (except for Garcia)

I voted Hammel. Very underrated pitcher, had a respectable year last year and is off to a good start this year. There is no reason that he can't hold down the last spot in your rotation. All of the other guys scare me a little bit, but Hammel seems really safe and that's a neccesity at the end of your rotation.

If I had to give a 2nd place, I'd say Gorzellany for similar reasons to Hammel. Nova/Garcia follow.

I like McCarthy as any pitcher in the Oakland rotation is usually good.

Most seem to be picking McCarthy, and I like him but his line-up is the ugliest in the league limiting his Ws.

My opinions please...leave your links.

Why does everyone love McCarthy so much? Just need some kind of explanation.

FYI:

Gorzelanny is 3rd in the MLB with a .163 BAA (Josh Johnson is 1st w/a .160), and 3rd in the NL in WHIP (JJ #1)

McCarthy has a .287 BAA B)

Thanks for all the help.

Ended up going with BOTH McCarthy and Gorzelanny B)

Archived